Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Ganazzar theme gives me the creeps and Maadoran's is great for ambience. Battle music always gets me pumped.

I hate that song and the ambient sounds with those birds.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Wtf is he talking about? The music in AoD is very good imo, the tunes are distinctive, they don't sound similar to me at all.

Imperial guards' theme and Teron's song are among the top cRPG compositions of all time.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
If only Vince and his Komrades went 2D ISO/3D for models path as the POE did it would be glorious.

I prefer 2D art too, but the irony is that reviewers that complain about graphics would not even touch the game if it had 2D art. PoE wasn’t well received because of the beautiful backgrounds, but because it is a Obsidian game made by kickstarter, cRPG renaissance, known devs, etc. I’m trying to convince more people to play Underrail, but it is a tough sell when you are pitching to players that give too much importance to graphics.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I prefer 2D art too, but the irony is that reviewers that complain about graphics would not even touch the game if it had 2D art. PoE wasn’t well received because of the beautiful backgrounds, but because it is a Obsidian game made by kickstarter, cRPG renaissance, known devs, etc. I’m trying to convince more people to play Underrail, but it is a tough sell when you are pitching to players that give too much importance to graphics.

Thing is, AoD has beautiful 2D art as well. I love artistically done 2D item icons in a game, makes circulating through inventory a joy, very reminiscent of Fallout in that regard (though I'd say AoD is better there).

Can you imagine all those sweet artifacts being represented with just letters (and a shitty sketch) like in modern high budged RPGs that use list inventories like Fallout 3 and FNV?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.slugmag.com/game-reviews/age-of-decadence/

I’d absolutely recommend Age of Decadence to any RPG fan and maybe even to our casual gamers … but beware, you will die—a lot—and you will have to play as a few different characters before you finally start to make some progress through the game. The playtime and game content alone make Age of Decadence easily worth the $29.99 that it’s selling for on Steam. Age of Decadence is definitely up there with some of my other favorite RPG titles.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Vault Dweller, are you actually tracking the effect positive reviews have had on your sales? I know that quite a few indies have been finding them to have little to no impact recently, and I'm curious if it's different for a game that isn't an artsy platformer or otherwise hipster shit.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller, are you actually tracking the effect positive reviews have had on your sales? I know that quite a few indies have been finding them to have little to no impact recently, and I'm curious if it's different for a game that isn't an artsy platformer or otherwise hipster shit.
It's very hard to estimate that effect (more like isolate it) as there are always other factors in play. For example, the game is selling well but today we sold only 4 copies (it's too early but still), which I attribute to Fallout 4, possibly StarCraft. Neither Pillars not WL2/D:OS re-release had that effect, which is understandable because the three of them combined lack the awesome factor of Fallout 4.

In general, awareness is key but a single 'run' (or a review in this case) might not and probably will not provide an instant effect. You need 'repetition' and you need to be able to track the long term effect. For example, our wishlist grew from 35k before launch to 87k. Granted, most people who wishlist want to pay less (25-30% off for some, 60-70% for others), but still, that's almost 90,000 people who would be reminded about the game every time it goes on sale. If they end up buying the game at $10 avg, that's a good revenue.

Vault Dweller

Developer
No. I don't think Steam tracks it, which kind of makes sense as Steam isn't a store people visit but a place where they play games.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You have a lot of people right here on the Codex that enjoy Skyrm and are playing FO4.

Tigranes

Arcane
My girlfriend who never plays games asked me, "Hey, are you going to buy that new Fallout?"
I told her, "Remember, Fallout is now made by that retarded company."
She replied, "Oh, right. Sorry for getting it mixed up. So you'll keep playing that game that weird guy took 10 years to make?"

And then I realised what the Codex had turned into, and I wept.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
My girlfriend who never plays games asked me, "Hey, are you going to buy that new Fallout?"

I told her, "Remember, Fallout is now made by that retarded company."

She replied, "Oh, right. Sorry for getting it mixed up. So you'll keep playing that game that weird guy took 10 years to make?"

And then I realised what the Codex had turned into, and I wept.

I don't see it that way. Suppose we are talking about movies and she is a causal. Replace the Fallout reference to whatever released blockbuster you hate, and the AoD reference to a great movie that is not, and will never be, widely known. I don’t think that is bad. It is just how things work. What happened to cRPGs, also happened to classic music, jazz, etc. In fact, with the exception of jack, they were always niche.

Tigranes

Arcane
You realise it's a comment on how many Codexers are paying money to play Fallout 4, rite

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom