Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Age of Decadence R4 Preview at GameBanshee

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The funny thing is, those juvies are probably teenagers... which brings up the whole question, what constitutes child-killing in a game? Is taking a life only okay if the victim is 18 or above? 16? 14? "Looks adult enough?"

Most games use specific child models since to save time, and developers reuse body types (which is why in, say, Bethesda games, there is only one male and one female body type used for everyone of that sex). So does this mean that if a game either doesn't have specific child models, or has enough models that adults and children aren't clearly differentiated, it's okay?

Didn't Fallout 3 actually have a "teenager" character model? I think you used it in parts of the game's prologue/tutorial? Might have just been scaled down adults though.

hiver

cmonn guys... isnt this discussion the most boring rehashed thing ever - that was repeated over and over a zillion times already?
there are zillion games out there without any kids in them and it never bothered anyone to play them and enjoy them, or even notice anything is missing in that sense.
some do, some dont - and its always going to be like that, while if the game is good - its bloody good - and thats what really matters.

Lhynn

Arcane
I dont know which game you played that plays like that - but it sure as hell aint Age of Decadence.

In Age of decadence - factually, literally - there is more options and approaches and different playthroughs then in several other - take your pick RPGs - all combined. Especially if you count actual serious choices and options and discard superficial, pointless - flavor ones.
Only not available for a single build, or a single background.
Old version, i remember there was this mission where i had to sneak into a woman's house at the beginning. Then there was something at a checkpoint about some smugled goods. both times i only found 1 thing to do.
Anyway, as i said, its not like i dislike the design, its the feeling on missing out on so many things if you go combat heavy, or being stuck in endless dialogues if you dont go combat.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Given an abundance of choice, humans grieve the options they did not choose or resent the ones they have made, particularly when they pre-experience different outcomes based on different choices or freedoms.

Rather, learn about synthesized happiness and recognize when you are referring to it without being able to put your finger on that thing that keeps you from enjoying what you are doing now. Be OK with not squeezing all possible joy out of any one situation and instead experience where a path will take you. When you do that, you can look forward to different choices in the future and better enjoy the now.

Here is an interesting Ted talk on the subject. http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy.html

20 minutes well spent.

Zeriel

Arcane
So you've spent several pages saying you'd like a thing they already put in the game and then, when learning that it's in, you don't like it?

:hmmm:

This is essential to understanding the nature of the Codex.

Lhynn

Arcane
So you've spent several pages saying you'd like a thing they already put in the game and then, when learning that it's in, you don't like it?
As he said, he thought it was completly separated, as in youd be equally profient at fighting as at doing non combat stuff. It would make for a really interesting alternative mode to play tru the game.

Longshanks

Augur
As he said, he thought it was completly separated, as in youd be equally profient at fighting as at doing non combat stuff. It would make for a really interesting alternative mode to play tru the game.
Runs counter to the game's base design though. In this case much of the content will be opened to a single character rather than requiring multiple playthroughs.

Lhynn

Arcane
Runs counter to the game's base design though. In this case much of the content will be opened to a single character rather than requiring multiple playthroughs.
So just unlock that mode after finishing the game? i dont know how anything that could improve the experience with little to no work would be a bad thing.

almondblight

Arcane
It's a silly choice because it allows you to bypass skills. Why have a skill system in the first place? I'd rather see complex puzzles or a complex skill system governing your actions, not both, and especially not puzzles serving as an alternative to skill-based solutions.

There's not reasons why complex puzzles couldn't be reliant on your skills - combat would be based on the PCs combat skills and the players tactical skills, puzzles would be based on the PCs non-combat skills and the players puzzle solving skills. Though I imagine that'd expand the scope of a game a lot, especially if one wanted to have multiple viable non-combat builds.

hiver

Old version, i remember there was this mission where i had to sneak into a woman's house at the beginning. Then there was something at a checkpoint about some smugled goods. both times i only found 1 thing to do.
Anyway, as i said, its not like i dislike the design, its the feeling on missing out on so many things if you go combat heavy, or being stuck in endless dialogues if you dont go combat.
Thats because youre a moron.

Thats because he is a moron.

So just unlock that mode after finishing the game? i dont know how anything that could improve the experience with little to no work would be a bad thing.
In a game that is built specifically to provide actually different playthroughs for each of the backgrounds - directly based on the skills of your character.

and all that would do is allow the morons to go through the game without worrying what they are doing with skill builds?
To get everything regardless if its a combat build or some other build?

You would make a combat heavy build... and then expect options that other skills open up - to be available regardless? In AoD?

- go back and read the first answer in this post.

hiver

Well what the hell else am i supposed to say to that?
You can barely name two quests where it seemed to you that you have "only one option" - as if thats a fing strange experience to be having while playing a cRPG.

And you and everyone with similar grievances just keep repeating the same thing, running in one or two snags (that actually happened because of your previous choices - not just arbitrarily and out of the blue) - then gave up on playing the game and actually seeing what is there - and come around with "suggestions" which are really constructed as demands of turning it into a different kind of a RPG - which is completely out of the scope of Iron Towers to do - even if they wanted to.
(currently. for this game. with some luck, money and good sales... who knows what the future might bring, whatever - for AoD it is literally impossible)
This is simply not a game where you make a build and go fuck around, like Fallout... or whatever.
Not in that specific way.

You actually really need to play the game with all the backgrounds and different builds to see everything it has to offer - not with some bloody single build.
While playing a single character is also constantly peppered with different options - FIT FOR THAT BLOODY BUILD and background. Not "all kinds of options" and not some superficial flavor options.
Because it is simply that kind of a game.

The problem is also that people that simply dont like this kind of a setup think thats an actual reason, an argument - or a proof - that the game is bad.
Which is just fucking annoying reading over and over and over again.

I suggested that more smaller quests gets added at several places so far, several times over, in Teron, or that options should be expanded or that some could be done better or whatever - but because it would make the game even better. Not because its all wrong or to turn it into another kind of a game.
Difference being im suggesting things that are in line with AoD specific design, as bets as i can.
And so far - every update and new demo version has done just that.
Quests, situations, options and other content are added - constantly.

- ofcourse, this is completely pointless to say since a few posts after this, or on the next page... there is going to be another poster just repeating the same thing.

Lhynn

Arcane
I dont think the game is bad.

PS: You know what this game needs? new game+

Last edited:

Longshanks

Augur
I don't think it would be an improvement especially as it undermines one of the games most successful design points.

Adding extra content (especially side content) and options that are available to each build would (and ITS have been doing this), but there is a limit to time and resources. Again, I'm happy with the base design of the game and that ITS have made this their primary focus. Some extra stuff to do would be good, and ITS have been making additions, but leaving this extra stuff as extras to a solid base is to me a good decision.

Lhynn

Arcane
I don't think it would be an improvement especially as it undermines one of the games most successful design points.

Adding extra content (especially side content) and options that are available to each build would (and ITS have been doing this), but there is a limit to time and resources. Again, I'm happy with the base design of the game and that ITS have made this their primary focus. Some extra stuff to do would be good, and ITS have been making additions, but leaving this extra stuff as extras to a solid base is to me a good decision.
Youve beaten the game, who gives a shit.

John Yossarian

Magister
Why cant you just console in more stats and skills instead of asking for a mode that runs contrary to the main design of the game?

Lhynn

Arcane
Why cant you just console in more stats and skills instead of asking for a mode that runs contrary to the main design of the game?
I can, some people have already done so, still tracking every piece of experience you find and adding an equal amount to the other pool would be a lot of busy work and a pain in the ass.

John Yossarian

Magister
Just raise your skills to whatever you feel you are "owed". I just wouldnt want the devs spending time on this. To you it is just a simple addition, but from experience,they woild probably spend a lot of time making it as good as possible.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Still waiting for the official release. How do the Merchant, Knight and Loremaster compare with each other? Those are the classes that interest me the most.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You get to read different stories with each one. I don't remember a knight profession, you mean praetor?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Still waiting for the official release. How do the Merchant, Knight and Loremaster compare with each other? Those are the classes that interest me the most.

A lot depends on how you manage your skills, both at character creation and during the game, as well as your allegiances. I just did a few Loremaster branches and the options are plenty. Also you can easily (well, maybe not extremely easily but if you manage your skills and quests properly) build a Loremaster/Merchant, Loremaster/Praetor, or even a Loremaster/Merchant/Praetor. Also you might be able to build a "tanky" Loremaster if you want, which should pay off in at least two major quests. A Loremaster/Thief should also in theory be viable from what I've seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom