Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Journeys Through Zamedi

Sarvis

Erudite
Kingston said:
I like the idea of being able to hire someone to do it. The only problem is 1) No one wants to do it 2) If someone is willing to do it, they are either a dumbfuck or the best in the business. It will also cost you a lot of money.

The dumbfuck would obviously get caught and you would be found out in the end, sending a lot of problems your way. The superb thief would be hard to find, so you'd probably have to be a thief yourself, and who knows, he might just keep the shit he finds to himself.

As an option you could disguise yourself when you hire the person, so that if they are caught they can't finger you.

Hiring a master thief would be expensive, but then again there's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps a merchant type character would take such an option, right?

As for the thief keeping other loot... well of course he should! Losing the loot (other than what you paid for) is part of the cost.

Sarvis

Erudite
obediah said:
hiciacit said:
Sarvis said:
How about starting a fire nearby to distract people and get some of the guards out of the house to fight the fire?

Hiring someone else to sneak in and get the key for you?

Of course, if you implemented those other people playing other types of characters would come up with other solutions. You'll never cover every option... which is why you can't roleplay in a computer game.

Yeah, I guess that trying trying to cover all possible (thinkable) options would not exactly be feasible.

The only hope for this is the people plugging away at physics and AI. Even though the current results are largely unimpressive, they are laying groundwork for future improvements. In the 80s and 90s we saw all sorts of great ideas implemented once in a game and then ignored by the community. As more and more projects move to using middleware, however, some of those results will be fed back into the system for the next game.

Agreed that physics engines could help a lot, but I don't think AI will ever really get to a point that would allow actual roleplaying. Not without turning Terminator into a true story anyway...

ushdugery

Scholar
Nicolai said:
Keep polishing the game until you're pleased with its sheen. I'll buy a copy when you're done, it doesn't really matter if it takes you a week or three years. I won't be running out of time anytime soon.
QFT

obediah

Erudite
Sarvis said:
obediah said:
hiciacit said:
Sarvis said:
How about starting a fire nearby to distract people and get some of the guards out of the house to fight the fire?

Hiring someone else to sneak in and get the key for you?

Of course, if you implemented those other people playing other types of characters would come up with other solutions. You'll never cover every option... which is why you can't roleplay in a computer game.

Yeah, I guess that trying trying to cover all possible (thinkable) options would not exactly be feasible.

The only hope for this is the people plugging away at physics and AI. Even though the current results are largely unimpressive, they are laying groundwork for future improvements. In the 80s and 90s we saw all sorts of great ideas implemented once in a game and then ignored by the community. As more and more projects move to using middleware, however, some of those results will be fed back into the system for the next game.

Agreed that physics engines could help a lot, but I don't think AI will ever really get to a point that would allow actual roleplaying. Not without turning Terminator into a true story anyway...

Probably not in a Turing test sort-of-way, but there is a lot of potential from just getting behavior right - running towards sounds, reacting more realistically to being attacked, all sorts of good stuff that let the player solve problems in ways the developer doesn't need to foresee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom