Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Age of Decadence Combat Peek at RPGVault

The important things were already said, so i won`t repeat it to save time.

Someone mentioned something like "Moar blood", thats what i want, too. Overall pretty decent, the graphics look better than Neverwinter Nights somehow, but to confirm that, i have to see more objects and how they are shaped, in NWN everything looked so angular. Then there is this green square when you click on the ground, i would replace that with something more "Rome"-ish, i can`t tell what exactly. Maybe a small stake or something. Then i think, the clothes look a little bit too clean and fresh, i miss some dirt and other brown tones, but i can`t see it exactly on the vid, it was just a guess. One thing reminds me on NWN again, the camera, it seems like the player has to move it alot in the game, i`m not quite sure.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
What I had just seen pretty much exceeded my expectations. The combat looks absolutely stunning, please see to it that the animation speed slider is included and it shall be perfect.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Bradylama said:
Any idea when we can see a quest demonstration?
A quest demo? In a video format? I don't think that would work well. Screens sequences do it much better. Since there is some interest, would you prefer a complete screens sequence or a video? Showing all options and outcomes or one?

It doesn't imply that I would post something tomorrow, as I kinda regret posting the video, but I'd keep it in mind when we are ready to show more.

cutterjohn

Cipher
The game is no longer turn-based. Yes, we've finally seen the light and realized that turn-based combat is a feature of the past, a feature that was blindly carried over from board games, that evolved a long time ago into cinematic, real-time, next-generation battles.
TB = goodness, RT = shit

EDIT Waiting for video to dl nevertheless... but I just can't take RT and low/no budget... TB gets ya points, RT loses lots(most) of 'em...

EDIT2 That doesn't look bad, but like someone else said I'd hope that the animation can be sped up a mite...

cutterjohn

Cipher
Sodomy said:
You need a new sarcasm detector.
Maybe, but I really don't expect sarcasm in preview articles. Forum posts yes, more publicity type of articles no.

I admit I was surprised and skeptical of the comment, but, like I mentioned, preview, article, not forum post, etc.

Sodomy

Scholar
Read further in the article; it's sarcasm. Sarcasm that you're hardly the only person to be unappreciative of, apparently..

cutterjohn

Cipher
Sodomy said:
Read further in the article; it's sarcasm. Sarcasm that you're hardly the only person to be unappreciative of, apparently..
Actually it was more along the lines of stopping reading until the demo video downloaded... Disappointed with lack of collar grabbing antics by assassin...

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Dunno, I thought that the "Xtreme" combat system part would give it away to most people.

Bradylama

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Bradylama said:
Any idea when we can see a quest demonstration?
A quest demo? In a video format? I don't think that would work well. Screens sequences do it much better. Since there is some interest, would you prefer a complete screens sequence or a video? Showing all options and outcomes or one?

It doesn't imply that I would post something tomorrow, as I kinda regret posting the video, but I'd keep it in mind when we are ready to show more.

Slides would be a much better option. Videos are neat, but they only really serve as dressing for quest demonstrations. It'd also be nice to see all of the outcomes of a quest, but I don't really mind minor spoilers.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Vault Dweller said:

No, no, no. The criticism is essential to the design process. Most of these companies have closed door sessions for previews or at least a friends and family session. Are we not considered as such? :wink:

elander_

Arbiter
The Xtreme arrow time system is looking good but at the moment it's a bit too simple. I was hoping to see the net and localized damage in action.

Some suggestions to make combat more complex and interesting.

* I think it was mentioned before but taking into account if someone attacks you from the back would be interesting.

* If the enemy dodges an arrow the one behind him has a chance to get hit by it.

* Foot attack will knock down the victim. He will waste 5 APs on the next round to raise up. If knock down fails still does some damage.

* Swipe move will attack several enemies immediately in front of the player with one movement.

* Quick jab is fast, does less damage but takes one AP less.

* Surprise attack to an enemy on the players back. Overconfident enemies will learn a lesson.

* Disarm move and head strike with the sword handle is good for quests where you want someone to surrender, without killing him.

* Verbal intimidation. Tell someone to flee, to join you or to lay their weapon down while in combat. If they get intimidate they will do it. Hell if you are pawning enemies by the dozens should be intimidated if they are smart.

User was nabbed fit

Looking sweet. Can't wait... I think it'll be ~20 € well spent.

Shoelip

Arbiter
The graphics are better than I expected, but the animation could use some work, that dodge anim is, jarring. If you've got time for a bit more aesthetics it might be cool to add one or two varients for the same animation. Love the killing blow anims, especially the spear. Though the death message of the assassin snearing and then dropping dead doesn't quite corespond to the lovely head splitting animation that was played.

Severian Silk

I think all of elander's suggestions are great! Please implement them.

Plain text would suffice in this case.

cutterjohn

Cipher
elander_ said:
* Verbal intimidation. Tell someone to flee, to join you or to lay their weapon down while in combat. If they get intimidate they will do it. Hell if you are pawning enemies by the dozens should be intimidated if they are smart.
I'd extend this to say any large difference in levels or large amounts of damage inflicted as well as any possible verbal assault should already be checked by the mechanism known as morale, or doesn't AoD have that?

Higher Game

Arcane
I think you should need Bruce Lee reflexes to evade any attack to the back. It shouldn't even be possible for someone in plate armor.

Keldorn

Scholar
Sound effects could really double the sensory impact of this game. Visually and conceptually you guys are on the right track, so maintain that path.

But for sound, recall (or even replay) X-Com 1 and Fallout 1 & 2. You'll hear that even the most simple, raw and harsh sound effects drive the visual actions home, to the inner core of the human mind and spirit, with profound and inescapable sensory impact.

filogreek

Scholar
Apart from the weird looking dodge animations, I thought the combat looked very promising. I especially liked the spear-throw (and the death that followed it :o ).

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Alright, finally got the video downloaded so here's my 2 cents.

First off, congratulations to the Iron Tower guys, I thought that video was great. :D Really,I'm impressed by how professional it looked. The models, weapons, the gui, all look of the quality of a commercial game from a few years ago. And it "flows" nicely. I know how much work it takes to get it looking that polished and I'm well impressed.

- The logo is worth it's weight in gold. Very very nice.

- I liked the music. Before combat starts it invokes a desert feel, slightly desolate. I actually liked the string instument. I got this mental image of an old man plucking at a lute by a campfire as the wind blows. The combat music says danger/tension without being too intrusive. I like the interplay of the deeper instruments and the flute (I think it's a flute? I'm no muso), and I disagree that it doesn't peak and ebb. Honestly I would leave the music alone.

- I loved that javelin animation. The way he hefts it before throwing it just oozes personality. Wicked :D

- As some people have said, the animations could do with speeding up a touch.

- The facing thing. I initially thought your character should turn to face attacks but now I'm not so convinced. If the attacks (especially the walk->run) were speeded up it would create more of an impression that the enemy has moved around behind and attacked while you're focused on someone else. Also, I think the "being hit from the side" animation need to be tweaked. It currently looks too like he is dodging an attack from the front which is what makes it look slightly jarring.

- Now that I see the inventory working I am less negative. It does seem like you haven't got too much to scroll through and the item icons themselves look nice. Keep it as is.

- I'm happy with the blood effects. IMO it isn't the blood that is causing the combat hits to feel like they lack weight, it is the lack of sound. Some small whacking sounds and maybe some grunts of pain would go a long way.

- Also I'd change the text taunts. They seem a little jovial for life and death combat to me. Just something like "Aaargh" when hit and "Die!" when attacking for example would be more appropriate.

- The grid and the pathfinding seems pretty good. I like they way they manoever around you.

stargelman

Scholar
I for one welcome our new silently fighting overlords.

Seriously though, there need to be sound effects for combat! If all else fails, buy a cheap royalty-free sound effects CD and use some of those.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom