Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Against the Storm - Fantasy roguelite city builder

Kruyurk

Learned
I actually don't even know how to make a seal. I've done several cycles now and only got fragments. How many fragments do I even need to craft one and where do I do it?
You don't craft the seal with the fragment. You need enough fragments before building a settlement next to a seal, to attempt to close it and permanently increase the cycle duration for future cycles.
You can see the seal places on the map, so just build settlements in this direction and once you reach it you should have enough fragments to attempt to close it. The settlement you build next to the seal will end the cycle.

0wca

Learned
I actually don't even know how to make a seal. I've done several cycles now and only got fragments. How many fragments do I even need to craft one and where do I do it?
You don't craft the seal with the fragment. You need enough fragments before building a settlement next to a seal, to attempt to close it and permanently increase the cycle duration for future cycles.
You can see the seal places on the map, so just build settlements in this direction and once you reach it you should have enough fragments to attempt to close it. The settlement you build next to the seal will end the cycle.
Wait, I'm confused.

I did that in a game and placed a settlement next to it. However, when I played the map I had to solve that seal puzzle thing and I failed so I didn't get the settlement.

Is that how you close it? By solving its 4 puzzles on the map or whatever?

jackofshadows

Magister
Wait, I'm confused.

I did that in a game and placed a settlement next to it. However, when I played the map I had to solve that seal puzzle thing and I failed so I didn't get the settlement.

What you mean by puzzle? Finding the seal itself or doing the challenges? Challenges are always the same by the way which is kinda lame.

0wca

Learned
Wait, I'm confused.

What you mean by puzzle? Finding the seal itself or doing the challenges? Challenges are always the same by the way which is kinda lame.
When you try to make a settlement on the world map that's adjacent to the seal, the seal will spawn on the strategy map and cause plagues and shit.

I can then complete its 4 tasks and I guess get the seal? Is that how it works? What are the fragments for then?

jackofshadows

Magister
When you try to make a settlement on the world map that's adjacent to the seal, the seal will spawn on the strategy map and cause plagues and shit.

I can then complete its 4 tasks and I guess get the seal? Is that how it works? What are the fragments for then?
Yes, you need to complete those 4 tasks (by any presented way). W/o the required amount of fragments you cannot start the settlement next to the seal.

0wca

Learned

Yes, you need to complete those 4 tasks (by any presented way). W/o the required amount of fragments you cannot start the settlement next to the seal.
Ah.

And what's the required amount? Also where do I get the most fragments?

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The required amount varies by the level of seal (4 for bronze, 12 for lead, etc.). You can see the amount for a seal by hovering over it on the world map. The amount of fragments is based on the difficulty you play on. You can choose 5 as a reward when you play a map with a negative modifier that shows a "Royal Resupply" reward.

Click the "Summary" tab to see rewards when embarking. Change the difficulty and you can see how these rewards are affected. For instance, a Pioneer win gives 2 seal fragments, and a Viceroy win gives 4.

0wca

Learned
The required amount varies by the level of seal (4 for bronze, 12 for lead, etc.). You can see the amount for a seal by hovering over it on the world map. The amount of fragments is based on the difficulty you play on. You can choose 5 as a reward when you play a map with a negative modifier that shows a "Royal Resupply" reward.

Click the "Summary" tab to see rewards when embarking. Change the difficulty and you can see how these rewards are affected. For instance, a Pioneer win gives 2 seal fragments, and a Viceroy win gives 4.
I see. Thx

Gerrard

Arcane
rFSYCqf.png

yEjhhVU.jpeg

What is the point of having production and consumption statistics in a game where you end the game in <30 minutes?

jackofshadows

Magister
High prestige games take like 3-4h usually and the current food/fuel/etc stats at the top of the screen are meh (I let open food for like 90℅ of the time). So it could be an improvement.

What's really cool is that they've finally announced new species and biome although I doubt they'll manage to organically balance in all of that given their priorities lies not around prestige players.

jackofshadows

Magister
The idea was to do a lot of screenshots and write a mini-letsplay but since I've been getting interrupted a lot I fucked it up and did only a few screens and also the game was too easy le usual farm abuse. But anyway, just to show my typical build layout and a few tricks that I use:
B8B9541E07446C98A073AF74DE5EBB4EE9623B69

Instantly in luck cause humans hinted on a dangerous glade with soil instead of a small one as it usually happens. Prepared some planks in advance and opened it in the first storm (in case of a very rare events as the ship so I could buy something when drizzle hit in order to solve it).

Note I didn't take any of the starting blueprints because I've had plantation already as a start bonus and I got soil so I was already ok with the food - that's my reasoning this time. Don't forget to delay the process of taking first three orders until the moment you open a glade in case of timed orders btw. Not rushing the next ones is also a good idea.

And regarding plantation w/o any bonuses usually it's enough 3 bodies for these 15 land pieces to plant but to harvest you need more because it takes time to carry crops to warehouse. Or to use haulers but usually I prefer not to use them. Workload shortage is enough as it is. Automated ones to each warehouse from the cornerstone are very nice though.
7A582137799B3E6B17E3B66693EB50599271826D

Second glade has opened and I'm in luck again - more soil, building two farms and here I'd thought that If I'll get brewery it'll be a total piece of cake.

I'm still making planks with basic ass workstation. In fact, I got nothing for fabric and bricks either and it's totally fine. Just note to buy some off traders, especially since I got free Smithy on the right edge of the screen so it'll be pretty easy to make a lot of trade goods for that.

Also the screenshot reminds everyone to abuse the "favorite" button as much as possible even if it produces very little rep.
7859194754E61A8A6CB7726CAD93BA23997CBA49

Here I got lucky yet again and not only got brewery but also an order "build brewery and we'll give you the tavern blueprint". Both are being built but I'm experiencing here severe plank shortage after all atm (but mostly not even due to basic station - nothing stops you from building several of those but because I got nothing as a fuel alternative and couldn't harvest trees at storms due to negative map perk).
8B2A1F83F609313A1B542EBFF18979B5749CE992

And after building both human/beaver resolve went through the roof and almost never went back so gg. Oh and I got both Zhorg's secret ingredient (pretty op shit) and granary so foxes were feeling very well too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom