Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AFTERFALL

Dagon

Scholar
Heydo you remember Bourgeoisie? now it's called AFTERFALL, it's great looking Post Apocalyptic Izometric Turnbased RPG set in europe, more info you can find here http://www.afterfall.org

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
If there was ever a project that needed a name change, that was one of them.

Can't say I'm a fan of what they picked though. I thought it was "Afterall", without the second 'f'.

Crnobog

Liturgist
well, it does look very promising...if the game will be anything like the faq says it will, I'm sold.

...unless it another one of those polish-fallout-wannabe-vaporware projects that never seem to go beyond writing faqs about them.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The Fall? It's been released, but it sucks, despite all the hype and hiring of BIS developers.

sheek

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
The Fall? It's been released, but it sucks, despite all the hype and hiring of BIS developers.

Are there any decent Fallout 'clones' at all?

Twinfalls

Erudite
Gah. Reminds me of that phase in the indie rock/pop scene in the mid-nineties when whole bunches of (crap) bands all sounded similar by juggling the same apparently cool-sounding names - I can recall Belly, Echobelly, Starbelly, Dubstar, Dogstar, Godstar, the Young Gods, blah blah blahgodblahbellyblahstarblahblah

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
This game has always looked great. Its definitely on my must buy list. But I like H&S so I'm stupid retard that isn't hip to the times.

Anyway, I don't see what all the negativity is about, this game really does look great. And no stupid shit like RoA 4's RT crap ass gay combat. I am also 100% sure this game will be 100 times better than whatever shit bethesda comes up with.

Moggs

Liturgist
This will never be released. Vapourware.

And in unrelated news - Echobelly were quite good!

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Twinfalls said:
Gah. Reminds me of that phase in the indie rock/pop scene in the mid-nineties when whole bunches of (crap) bands all sounded similar by juggling the same apparently cool-sounding names - I can recall Belly, Echobelly, Starbelly, Dubstar, Dogstar, Godstar, the Young Gods, blah blah blahgodblahbellyblahstarblahblah
You forgot Echobrain, which only increases my respect for you.

One imitative trend I'm not at all upset about is D-Beat, because Discharge kicked ass.

LCJr.

Erudite
Not overly optimistic but I'll keep an eye on it.

A lot of the artwork looks like it was derived straight from FO. For example the black leather clad female with mohawk, the heavily armored male with what looks to be a Pancor Jackhammer, etc... Looks like they're trying to up the bimbo factor too.

Jinxed

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
I didn't say it was hard. It's just a terrible battle system.

It wouldn't be terrible if the problem wasn't deeply rooted in the character system itself. Of course, I'm talking about turn based. Well, that and some location/monster placement redesigning would be in order.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
kingcomrade said:
I didn't say it was hard. It's just a terrible battle system.
I don't get all this moaning about Arcanum's combat that's been a regular topic on these boards. I ran through the game once, using tech freak-gunslinger and did not notice any significant differences between Arcanum's combat system and, for example, Fallout's combat (which isn't the benchmark for turn based combat of course), that haven't received that much criticism.
Maybe it's melee-mage char that has to suffer from some awfull inconviniecies, but as I said, I haven't played as one (probaly will do in near future).

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
I found Arcanum's combat system to be rather weak at first, but, eh, I eventually grew to be quite fond of it.

Crichton

Prophet
I don't get all this moaning about Arcanum's combat that's been a regular topic on these boards. I ran through the game once, using tech freak-gunslinger and did not notice any significant differences between Arcanum's combat system and, for example, Fallout's combat (which isn't the benchmark for turn based combat of course), that haven't received that much criticism.
Maybe it's melee-mage char that has to suffer from some awfull inconviniecies, but as I said, I haven't played as one (probaly will do in near future).

In general, I think Arcanum's combat system is better than Fallout's because it gives all the combat skills a chance (example, throwing is useful in arcanum, grenade-throwing is worthless in Fallout). Arcanum also avoids the sillyness of late-game Fallout "armor" that prevents most non-critical hits from making a damn bit of difference. However, Arcanum's combat is much, much easier and a lot of people didn't care for that. I enjoyed both games despite thinking that their combat system's sucked balls, but that's life with RPGs.

I enjoy games that provide a tactical element by giving me multiple manuvre units like ToEE or the infinity engine games, but I'll still play ones that don't if they provide other interesting things (Fallout, Arcanum, KOTOR). Of course if they have crap combat and nothing else (diablo, NWN), then I'm not so interested.

Duh

Novice
Twinfalls said:
I can recall Belly, Echobelly, Starbelly, Dubstar, Dogstar, Godstar, the Young Gods, blah blah blahgodblahbellyblahstarblahblah

Hey now, one of these things is not like the other ones.

Weird that I'm sufficiently desensitised to forums to not bother defending games any more, but my inner '80s music snob can still get its snooty nose put out of joint.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I think Arcanum's combat system is better than Fallout's
What. Arcanum's combat system isn't better than any game's combat system. I'd take the Infinity Engine over Arcanum's spammy crap.
grenade-throwing is worthless in Fallout
Wrong. I use grenades quite often in Fallout. Frags against groups of unarmoreds (I use them really often against the raiders), pulse grenades against the robots in The Glow. Plasma grenades are okay against super mutants.

Jinxed

Liturgist
The problem with Arcanum is that it's very easy to overpower your character, giving them tons of action points which at some point makes the game too easy. A lot of encounters were badly designed, the kites in the dungeons would be the best example. Not only was it trapped to hell, you also had to fight a billion rats, kites, golems...

By hit xp gain is bad as well.

Anyway, Fallout combat while basically very similiar to arcanum, was a lot more interesting due to the artwork and sound effects. Those animations were very rewarding and the novelty never seemed to dissapear. While there was some degree of creature clones using the same artwork, it wasn't so bad as it was in Arcanum, which used the same graphics only enlarged or shrunk with a different color.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I'd say to the 'hit-xp gain' thing was only really that bad starting off. If you're a dialog dude, you can level by doing quests and doing them more indepth than a combat character could.

So it balances out the 'deep quester' and the 'hack and slasher'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom