Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Afterfall interview at Gram.pl

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
http://www.gram.pl/news_8g3jGe62_Gram_p ... rfall.html

A brief translation of the interview for the psychically impaired who don't understand the glorious polish language and don't trust google translate:

q: Press info says that the game will feature about 100 hours of gameplay. What will be such a timetaker? Varied missions? Huge world? Dialogues? Plot twists? Charismatic characters?
a: All the elements will be in the game. The length comes from the simple fact, that a lone hero wouldn't be able to do a difficult task in a complex way in such a short time. If you'd go out on a long journey in an unknown terrain without any equipment and knowledge of the terrain, you'd be dead after a few hours. We want to implement some degree of realism, and this is tied with the fact that you can't just "run" through the game.

q: The action taking place in Poland is a risky step I think. Aren't you afraid that showing the post-nuclear country may be badly recieved?
a: We have no fear. Post-nuclear world most looks similar everywhere, and it has a specific atmosphere. I think it should be attractive to players worldwide

q: "The world changing because of the player's actions and non-character events" - what do these changes mean? Sounds like the action -> consequence formula. All the decisions during gameplay will have a feedback later? Will we be able to finish Afterfall in several ways thanks to that?
a: Exactly. All actions have some sort of consequence in the world. As the protagonist, you'll be able to influence not only single persons, but also groups. You can even get the two biggest factions into a war. Some events will influence the course of action of others while that will influence the very ending of the game. A cRPG that can be finished in one or two ways (and often the decision about the ending is taken at the finish) does not deserve to be called an RPG.

q: I'm sure that we'll find both innovations and already tested mechanics in Afterfall. What will make the game stand out?
a: Every developer will try to surprise the player with something new. However it's also possible to create a game that doesn't stand out, but will still be very good. The things that count, are mainly polishing all the elements, cohesion and consequence when creating the world. While creating Afterfall, we're focused on polishing the details but at the same time, the players will find some great mechanics. Soon there will be more info about the health system, which will be one of the most interesting aspects of the game. At this stage of the development, we don't want to uncover most of the details concerning the game though.

Sounds awesum so far. I wonder what the 'health system' will be, and at the same time hope it won't be like Dark Corners of the Earth's Jack Walters the field surgeon.

A faq for the game has been added lately on the official site too. It can be found here.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They're seriously trying to hype the Codex.

I really hope they can deliver everything they're planning to implement.

spectre

Arcane
Even if one would divide the amount they promise in half, it will be at least enjoyable.

Now, just keep them figers crossed that it won't turn out as vaporware.

denizsi

Arcane
They aren't really offering anything solid at all at this point. Their choice of words regarding design and other games sound good but no examples, just promises. While I anticipate the game for its setting and origin (Polish post-apoc game, taking place in post-apoc Poland), and the art direction and graphics for what could be observed in the 2 years old (or has it been 3 already?), I fail to see anything to be hyped about just yet.

spectre

Arcane
True, no specifics yet, though I remember their musings on quest design (among many other things). They really know which damned buttons to press.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
denizsi said:
They aren't really offering anything solid at all at this point.

Indeed, but so far I like what they say. Especially the bit about some games not deserving to be called cRPGs. It seems like the guys know their bizniz

MisterStone

Arcane
Set in Poland? Does that mean that there will be hobo kielbasa instead of hobo dogs?

Monolith

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:
And hobo krupniok if it will introduce the Silesian area.
If we get krupniok, I want hanys as a race. The rest can be named goroly for all I care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom