Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

After two years, ArmA 2 still as terrible as ever

baronjohn

Cipher
So I installed my legit version of (German) ArmA 2, patched it to the latest version and tested it. I thought maybe I'd do an LP of the campaign to show off how fucking retarded it is, but alas the game is still as horribly shitty as when I left it two years ago.

I'll just focus on one point to demonstrate. The AI is completely retarded.They randomly stand, crouch or prone, if they're standing they run 10 meters in a totally random direction and then face a new random direction (usually end up staring into a wall) then they wait a few seconds and do it all over again. Very rarely they run farther, like headless chicken, which I suppose to skyway means they're "flanking". I tested this in the first scenario and the battle was in a village so this is as good as it gets.

I popamole'd them most of them, got wounded by one of the headless chicken and watched as I lay there yelling for help, with two of my teammates just standing there watching me die (ArmA 2 has popamole health regen where any anyone can fix up anyone to full health with some magic hand waving) for a minute. Then the game rebooted my computer. What the fuck?

I did the only thing a reasonable person would do at this point. I clicked uninstall.exe

MapMan

Arcane
Too obvious, skyway aint gonna fall for it. Good luck next time (with civ 3 maybe?).

MapMan said:
Too obvious, skyway aint gonna fall for it.

FRUA20.gif

Must...resist...urge...to reply...

DONGS

MikeJahn

Educated
ARMA 2 probably had one of the shittiest interfaces ever that made dwarf fortress look awesome. Also that stupid robot voice when dudes are spotted got old real fast. I ended up laying in the grass firing at anything that moved and that worked alright until I got bored.

I have the feeling that either it really is shit or I missed something as I like a lot of complicated games and I was sure since I liked Red Orchestra id like this game.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO SKYWYAY WILL POST HERE AFTER HIS 3RD DA2 PLAYTHROUGH YOU KNOW BIOWARE STUFF IS NICE IF YOU IS BEEING NEEDED ROMANCE

Suchy

Arcane
MikeJahn said:
ARMA 2 probably had one of the shittiest interfaces ever that made dwarf fortress look awesome.
Indeed, and this is where voice recognition comes in handy.

Raapys

Arcane
I think it's a decent game. Sure, interface sucks, the coordinates voice-over thing gets old the first time you hear it and the countless bugs, odd AI behavior and whatnot is certainly annoying. A couple of hours in though, all that stuff blends into the background and it becomes an entertaining experience. You really just need to get used to the whole interface/controls/game mechanics stuff and learn how the AI is likely to respond/react to your orders and such.

Suchy

Arcane
Raapys said:
I think it's a decent game. Sure, interface sucks, the coordinates voice-over thing gets old the first time you hear it and the countless bugs, odd AI behavior and whatnot is certainly annoying. A couple of hours in though, all that stuff blends into the background and it becomes an entertaining experience. You really just need to get used to the whole interface/controls/game mechanics stuff and learn how the AI is likely to respond/react to your orders and such.
Actually AI behaviour and voice-overs were improved a lot with latest patch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UeoRGj1uow
Interface is crap, but as I wrote before, a speech recognition tool (like VAC) saves most of the problems. Commanding the team becomes fast and natural.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Think I'm going to not remove it from an inventory to get a taste for it, if I enjoy the basic gameplay I'll give it a purchase during the summer sales.

There are demos available. So you can avoid FADE fucking up your game (like your grenades will fly in all weird trajectories, bullets won't deal any damage, the screen will tear etc) if you'll use newer patches with pirate serials which are blacklisted.

Demos aren't patched though but you'll spend less time downloading.

baronjohn

Cipher
Suchy said:
Actually AI behaviour and voice-overs were improved a lot with latest patch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UeoRGj1uow
Uhm, he's using mods:

youtube said:
Game: ArmA2 Combined Operations 1.59.76000

Mods:
ACE2 1.10 RC1 (realistic gameplay and content)
Zeus AI 0.02d1 (improves AI further)
WarFX R1.1 beta (visual effects)
JSRS 1.2 (improved sounds)

Do you really think BIS would improve anything? :D

baronjohn

Cipher
Also that AI still looks retarded and glitch-y. Look at 3:36. He goes from binocs to rifle to binocs as fast as the animation allows it. That's not good AI, that's shitty pre-alpha AI.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nah. Baronjohn has a problem with reading. It was an ACE mod bug which is what's written in the description.
Muzzle flashes are from WarFX mod. I don't like them myself (ArmA2 doesn't have them at day at all), but WarFX has kewl exploshuns so I stick with it.

DakaSha

Arcane
So how does arma compare to flashpoint?

:troll:

edit: actually i really am interested.. even though i prob cant play arma anyways :-/

MetalCraze

Arcane
OFP has better, longer campaigns (CWC, Resistance) OFP is also more "gamey"

ArmA2 has crappy campaign (it's playable in the first half though), OA has a better but short campaign, BAF has very Resistance-ish campaign but it's short too.
But it has a superior gameplay, AI and a better multiplayer.

Basically OFP if you want superior SP campaigns, ArmA2 for everything else

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom