Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

After five years of waiting...

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Funcom has finally officially announced it's sequel to Longest Journey, Dreamfall.

All I have to say is "Hellz yeah!". I just hope it can hold up to what the first one was: one of the best adventure games I've ever had the honor of playing.

EvoG

Erudite
You like adventure games? Point and click?

Perhaps I have something you might like...

:D

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
God, not another Myst sequel EvoG... I haven't finished the second one yet and what, they're up to four now?

Greatatlantic

Erudite
They've made

Myst

Riven: Sequel to Myst

Myst III: Exile

Uru: Ages of Myst

Myst IV: Revelations

I think those are the correct titles. Uru was not a true part of the series, however, and was intended to be transformed into an MMO. It flatlined, but the game does have a single player component for the diehards. Oh, and

Uru: Path of the Shell

Thats how they sold all the maps that weren't going to be released since the MMO was cancelled.

Fez

Erudite
Finally? There's been a website for it for ages and magazine articles. I thought it was pretty well known that there was a sequel on the way.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Yes, Fez. But they never truly officially announced the sequel to the gaming community. Now they have and the first previews are finally popping up. Guess I should have clarified more. Just excited that it's in the final stages, I guess. I really loved Longest Journey.

@EvoG: I'm not really a big fan of adventure games. It has to be something truly special to grab my attention. None of the Myst games ever did that. I can list two adventure games beyond the Lucasart stuff that I really enjoyed: Beyond A Steel Sky and Longest Journey.

EvoG

Erudite
Myst blows...for fucks sake people. God damn Myst...it sickens me. No really, Uru made me nauseas that I couldn't play it...and I play all things FPS/3rd Person...it was so suckful that it redefined suckfulness...but it was pretty, if a bit all over the place IMHO.

O.S. Lucasarts was where it was at. Got bored with Longest Journey and haven't played it for the longest time...and I just fired up BASS to see if i can get PAST THE FUCKING FIRST AREA!!! Seriously Otaku, wtf. I repaired BOB or whatever the hell his name is, he's surly and useless. I have the wrench and the sandwich ganked from the cabinet so now what. I'm embarrassed to have to ask, but maybe my patience isn't where it used to be, as I didn't try TOO hard to figure it out. As I see it puzzles should represent themselves a tad more obviously, and let me approach the issue, not force me to try evey inventory item on every object/person/other inventory I can click on. Then again perhaps I was just not paying attention :D

yazaga

Novice
i heven't played none of the mysts, but i think i won't like them. the lucas art games set the standart. longest journey and syberia i played an whle good they lacked in the story department. i think they were like soap operas only not for pensioners but for the girls in their late twenties. i found both female characters highly unbelievable. and both games made no attempt to incorporate some kind of humor. that is vital if you want to keep my attention in these adventure games. i have Starship TItanic somewhere at home, but i can't find time to play it. is it any good and worth my time?

Fez

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Yes, Fez. But they never truly officially announced the sequel to the gaming community. Now they have and the first previews are finally popping up. Guess I should have clarified more. Just excited that it's in the final stages, I guess. I really loved Longest Journey.

I'd have thought a PC Gamer article and opening an offical website was official enough. Do they have to cut a red ribbon with big scissors for you to consider it offical now? :P

The first game was good and this sequel has a lot to live up to.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The Longest Journey and Syberia get on my nerves. The games just play too slowly and there isn't any action, witty dialogue or jokes about it to quell the slowness of the game, either. I've enjoyed the Broken Sword games, even the most recent one, far more than any of those slow 'logic-based' adventures. I've also heard good things about Runaway, but I haven't had the chance to play it.

One thing's for sure though, it's that point and click based games with visual icons or a pop-up GUI are far better than those without. EvoG's right when he said that old school LucasArts games are where it's at. Broken Sword 3 might be fun and all, but to me, the last good adventure game was none other than Monkey Island 3. MI4 was horrible, due to the 3d camera.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
@Yazaga: I couldn't get into Starship Titanic. It just..... bleh.

@EvoG: It's been so long since I've played BASS that I barely remember it. I just remember loving the setting and the story. I actually used a walkthrough when I played because puzzles just aren't my cup of tea. It's not that I suck at them, it's just I'd rather kill shit than figure shit out unless it's a good mystery. Not many adventure games I can say I've liked out there beyond the LA ones and Longest Journey. They were fun. And I love how Longest Journey made fun of itself on many occassions. Some of the choices you had were downright awesome. The other thing I loved about LJ was that not a moment went by in the game where I had to backtrack fifty million miles to get some item I couldn't get before or use an item I found that I had to use eighty bazillion screens back. That's the one thing in adventure games that really turns me off. I don't mind some backtracking. It's realistic if you think about it. But too much and you've lost me.

@Fez: Yeah, but now I'm seeing previews pop up here and there, so the day is closer for sure. And, yes, it does have alot to live up to. But they know this and I'm sure it will at least be enjoyable if not as good as the first.

deadlus

Novice
Evog, did you go upstairs? IIRC you can open those doors with your wrench. I played through BOSS last month as well as first MI and god, it was probably the dumbest game I have ever played (in a positive way).

mrmarcus

Novice
yazaga said:
i have Starship TItanic somewhere at home, but i can't find time to play it. is it any good and worth my time?

Starship Titanic is garbage. It's one of those games that something you miss early can screw you over and make you restart because it can't be undone.

Fez

Erudite
Just read the Starship Titanic book, don't touch the game.

EvoG

Erudite
Yea deadlus, actually it was the pipe you use to pry the door...I'm referring to the room to the right with the engineer, the lazer cutter and his cabinet containing a wrench and a sandwich. You use a robot shell found in some junk to activate your robot buddy, and in that same room is a much larger something-something droid, and an elevator that I'm not allowed to ride down.

No biggie, I guess I'll commit the ultimate sin and gank a walkthrough. :shock:

Yea Starship Titanic did a brother in....man I simply did not enjoy that and was eager for another Douglas Adams game.

Cheers

EvoG

Erudite
Exitium said:
MI4 was horrible, due to the 3d camera.

Err, you mean 3D rendered backgrounds? Grim Fandango pWnd all and it had 3D backgrounds. Since when does the way the art is made make it horrible buddy?

Cheers

Quigs

Magister
"He didn't even qualify for the walking stick"

I remember playing that game since its first demos

EvoG

Erudite
Loved all the Quest games. Helps that I grew up with them but yea, played them all, with Space Quest being my favorite.

As for missing anyone, I miss all the older school developers that really brought some great stories and gameplay. The companies as they are now are faceless and nothing like they were even 10 years ago. EA, Activision, Atari...all absolutely meaningless. Sierra wasn't in any better shape when they folded.

Its time to embrace the new school (made up of a lot of our old developers) that embrace quality. While a majority is shit, there are some great companies that value production and integrity as a developer...who actually care about the games they make and not just the money.

Cheers

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I recently played some of the Space Quest games again. I finished the 3rd one in one day. I never realized it was such a short game. I think I played it at least 8 years ago and on a Hercules monitor :).

I love good Myst-type games. The problem is that I'm a daltonist and thus I couldn't complete Riven, even with a graphical solution (damn coloured marbles... :evil: ).

And back to the topic, Dreamfall is to be shorter, contain action elements, and not be point and click. I'm beginning to be suspicious about the game.
I thought it was announced at least a year ago; at least the website is that old.

Fez

Erudite
That's what I thought, Elwro. I remeber hearing about it about then.

EvoG

Erudite
Well yea, back on topic...if you followed the genre, this is oldish news. It does have action elements and is direct control so...yea, sounds like they're trying to expand on what Broken Sword 3 did. Just enough to stretch the genre...just enough to appear to be a full adventure.

Cheers

Fez

Erudite
If they ruin the game the adventure fans will put a contract out on the developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom