Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

After AoD3.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Whats the next plan for IronTower after AoD (part 3)? After you do a FO type game I hope you try and tackle a succesor to RoA and make a party based game. Maybe a Buck Rogers type setting with space pirates, ship combat, and adrian barbobots with chainsaw hands and laserbeam eyes.

Buck Rogers is often over looked but that series made AD&D kind of good. There was a great mix of weapons and armor and actual reasons to use different items in combat vs. different enemies or situations. The skills and skill uses were well implemented also.

WHat would everyone else like IronTower to do? I'm pretty sure VD is itching to make a Gothic 3/Oblivion clone but maybe we'll get a few good games out of this studio before they turncoat and get all mainstream, but we'll see what VD has to say. WHat would the other memebrs of Irontower like to work on?

Fez

Erudite
Then the next step is to buy up the Fallout licence and make a Super 3D New Reno Hooker Boxing Simulation. Smashing hookers in the guts to get rid of their crack babies and to retrieve any fifties they've slipped in a crevice to hide from their pimps. If you win a match you get to tastefully rape them. The winning/ending screen for the game will be a sign saying "YOU WIN! GAME OVER!" on top of a photo of VD taking a dump into the Fallout 1 box and wiping off with the manual, just to let you know that even though you won the game, you still lose.

Jora

Arcane
Short summary of events so far:

VD has said that if there's a huge amount of interest towards AoD2, he'll make it. It would be set in the other continent, however. There has also been talk about making a scifi RPG (set in space) instead. There won't be a sandbox style RPG until after Iron Tower has released a number of story-driven games.

I would like to see a holy alliance between VD and Section8.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I know people here would hate it; but I'd look forward to VD and co making a more fantasy focused game (as opposed to AOD's non fantasy fantasy of AOD where magic exists but not really, lol).

Anaglyph

Novice
Volourn said:
I know people here would hate it; but I'd look forward to VD and co making a more fantasy focused game (as opposed to AOD's non fantasy fantasy of AOD where magic exists but not really, lol).

I'm not really people here so I don't count, but I wouldn't hate it.

I'd rather he did the SF game though. Either that or use Fez's idea - PC gaming is desperately in need of games that give people a taste of refinement, games that enrich the soul and elevate the mind.

Jed

Cipher
I've been pulling for an SF game as well. There is a serious lack of good SF cRPGs, and ANYthing other than fantasy would be welcome in an industry with a serious Orc glut.

Ladonna

Arcane
Maybe no sequels? Why not a new game everytime?

(Of course this destroys the added sales of 'brand recognition'. And our resident marketing king would know this :wink: ).

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Roqua said:
Buck Rogers is often over looked but that series made AD&D kind of good. There was a great mix of weapons and armor and actual reasons to use different items in combat vs. different enemies or situations. The skills and skill uses were well implemented also.

I love the Buck Rogers games; there are two of the best CRPGs released so far in my opionion. The writing and quests are the best part IMO. I still remember the thrill of desperately trying to find that goddamn med lab on the gennie ship. Given how primitive the technology was at that time, it is amazing that they managed to make much more "cinematic" quests than those featured in your average modern CRPG.

I mean you board this strange ship wreck, some monsters appear out of nowhere and attack your boarding crew, you survive and everything seems fine, you continue to investigate the ship, suddenly one of your team member becomes unconscious, and then another one.., and suddenly the guy who fell first becomes conscious again and starts to attack the other team members - you have to beat down your own guy to save the others, the whole drama continues while you desperately try to find the med lab to cure this strange disease. And even if you find it before your entire team is dead / crazy (I did not on my first attempt) you will just encounter another problem..
And that's just the beginning of the whole gennie ship drama! Which is only the first quest of many.

I cannot really say why, but no other RPG ever managed to grab me like "Countdown to Doomsday". Another really great quest was that Desert Runner village on Mars. You try to convince them that the RAM gliders are coming for them, but they just won't believe you, despite all your efforts (this is only one possible outcome), and suddenly the show starts, explosions everwhere, the villiage goes up in flames, RAM terror squads storm the villiage while the gilders continue to bomb it from the sky and you are right in the middle, you can fight the RAM squads together with the runners, drag people out of burning buildings to save their lives (and this will actually be recognized later on if you do it!). Notice that most of this is not rendered graphically on screen, if there is an explosion / burst of fire you just get a message and a sound effect. Nowadays you cannot make such quests because you are expected to render it all and leave nothing to imagination.
The villiage is doomed BTW, your NEO guys cannot defeat the entire RAM invasion (oh shock: realism!) so the best you can hope is to get outthere alive and save a few runners maybe. At the end you can only look at the burning ruins from your hideout in the mountains..

Or the massacre on Venus, where you discover what looks like a villiage of primitive natives slaughtered by RAM, but then you find that hidden door (oh, and lets not forget the lowlander baby boy who is looking for his father .. most RPGs these days do not even dare to include children, in CTD you could have a baby in your party - I still remember making him run away / look for cover everytime my party was attacked - yes that baby could actually be killed just like any other character!) Or that quest with the children on the RAM base.. Damn, they just don't make games like this anymore!

And this is not nostalgia BTW. I have replayed (for the Xth time) Countdown to Doomsday only about a year ago..

Damn, this thread has really reminded me that all RPGs suck these days :cry:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Fez said:
Then the next step is to buy up the Fallout licence and make a Super 3D New Reno Hooker Boxing Simulation. Smashing hookers in the guts to get rid of their crack babies and to retrieve any fifties they've slipped in a crevice to hide from their pimps. If you win a match you get to tastefully rape them. The winning/ending screen for the game will be a sign saying "YOU WIN! GAME OVER!" on top of a photo of VD taking a dump into the Fallout 1 box and wiping off with the manual, just to let you know that even though you won the game, you still lose.
That was poetry.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
A sequel to Bloodlines using Torque engine would truly be something.

Bloodlines 2.

The Road to Hell.

Nedrah

Erudite
We can still have orcs, now can't we?
You know, space orcs.
Everyone knows it's not an RPG without orcs.

Oh, and elves, too.

taxacaria

Scholar
Nedrah said:
We can still have orcs, now can't we?
You know, space orcs.
Everyone knows it's not an RPG without orcs.

Oh, and elves, too.
Sounds like "Spelljammer : Pirates of Realmspace".
It has space elves, space illithid and so on...
but I'm not reminiscent of any space orcs, space goblins or space nedrahs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'd prefer to make a new game (sci-fi). I've already mentioned the colony ship idea, but I can flesh it out a bit more if you guys are interested.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I'd prefer to make a new game (sci-fi). I've already mentioned the colony ship idea, but I can flesh it out a bit more if you guys are interested.

Extremely interested in your ideas, but not in you fleshing it out until AoD is done!

Capiche?

;)

MountainWest

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:

Hell yes. And I want the game tomorrow. I'm fed up with orcs, elves and PG-rated dialogue.

Thydron

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
... I've already mentioned the colony ship idea, but I can flesh it out a bit more if you guys are interested...

would this be whole game set on a colony ship? if so - :D - seems the perfect setting for claustrophobic paranoia and other funs.

Section8

Cipher
I would like to see a holy alliance between VD and Section8.

You say that as if I don't already have plans of my own. ;)

On topic, I like the idea of single game IPs, but I think AoD2 makes the most sense on the business side of things. But, first things first. I'd like to lay my hands on AoD before anything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom