Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aeon of Sands: The Trail - Dungeon Crawling RPG love letter to the 90s!

V_K

Arcane
Wtf, breakable weapons? That's a terrible idea, thanks for the warning
*shrug*
They were breakable more often than not in older games, esp. certain lineages of RT blobbers. It's more problematic that they do so suddenly and pretty fast, but also not unprecedented. All of the non-DnD Event Horizon/Dreamforge games were like that (and I just haven't played the DnD ones, maybe they're like that too).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Wtf, breakable weapons? That's a terrible idea, thanks for the warning
*shrug*
They were breakable more often than not in older games, esp. certain lineages of RT blobbers. It's more problematic that they do so suddenly and pretty fast, but also not unprecedented. All of the non-DnD Event Horizon/Dreamforge games were like that (and I just haven't played the DnD ones, maybe they're like that too).

I played a lot of RT blobbers, and I don't remember any breakable weapons, so could you name some examples?

The only non-D&D Dreamforge blobber btw. is Anvil of Dawn, and no breakable weapons

V_K

Arcane
Thanks for giving the game a chance!
(Only rusty old weapons ever break, they have a chance to.)
:)
Well, then you shouldn't have made all the weapons in the starter dungeon rusty. In a sense, that makes it more difficult than later dungeons.
Either that or there's some bug, because everything I found in Underroot broke, except for the sling. Btw, is there a water activator somewhere in Underroot? I kept finding all these water reagents, but no activator. Granted, I left it with a few doors unopened - because I was out of weapons.

V_K

Arcane
I played a lot of RT blobbers, and I don't remember any breakable weapons, so could you name some examples?
Bad choice of word on my part, I should have said DM-like, because not all of those were blobbers. I was thinking specifically of EH games - DarkSpyre, The Summoning, Anvil of Dawn - all of them featured highly breakable weapons.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Bad choice of word on my part, I should have said DM-like, because not all of those were blobbers. I was thinking specifically of EH games - DarkSpyre, The Summoning, Anvil of Dawn - all of them featured highly breakable weapons.

I'm pretty sure Anvil of Dawn didn't have any breakable weapons (or none of the major melee weapons you use throughout the game, maybe it had rusty swords in the beginning, I might have forgotten)

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
Just a few light hints yo help you in the first dungeon

rusty weapons
normal non rusty weapons don't break; rusty weapons are less than 1/10 in the game

all the weapons in the starter dungeon
not ALL of them are rusty :) You could have missed some

water actvator
yes, there is one early on, not even hidden; but maybe, not easy to get safely

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter
So I put a little over 6 hours into Aeon of Sands today...

Pros:
+ Great aesthetic, really nice art and background music helps set a cool tone
+ Neat setting, it's a post apocalypse where people have lost all technology and have forgotten there even was a time when the world wasn't like this. Feels very Dark Sun-ish.

Cons:
- Combat is completely brain dead easy. You can square dance around everything really easily, the only times I took damage in combat was when I was dumb and cornered myself.
- Dungeons are very very bland. One of my twitch viewers asked if the maps were randomly generated cause they seemed like it, they aren't randomly generated but they certainly feel like Dungeon Hack maps. Just big empty mazes with nothing interesting going on at all.
- Itemization is poor. I found so many duplicates of items I already had, getting any kind of upgrade was rare.
- Character progression is non existent. You don't level up, you increase a skill that seems to have no effect on anything. For example my fighter went from 0% fighting to almost 70%, nothing changed. He hits *every* time regardless of skill and damage was determined purely by his weapon. So your only real feeling of progression is gear and as I said above, the itemization ain't great.
- The floor is lava. Seriously they *love* covering their dungeons in floor tiles that hurt you and force you to walk through them. I guess this is to compensate for the fact that you'll never take combat damage.
- Inventory management is a nightmare. You start with 1 character with 25 slots, I recruited a second character who *HAD NO INVENTORY*. Yes, the second character cannot carry or equip any items at all. You'll be juggling weapons, healing items, all these weird mana items (the game has a *really* odd magic system), totems to cast spells, and occasionally items needed to solve the dungeon. I left so much stuff lying on the floor cause I had no room for it.
- The writing is bizarre. So the game sets this really sombre cool mood with the art and music, yet the writing almost feels like deadpool with your character constantly breaking the fourth wall and cracking bad jokes. So tonally it's all over the map. It's also very clearly been translated into english from another language, poorly.

So yea really disappointed in this. It looked super cool and it's in a genre I love to death but they whiffed on just about everything here.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
For example my fighter went from 0% fighting to almost 70%, nothing changed. He hits *every* time regardless of skill and damage was determined purely by his weapon.
I think at higher skill level the damage tends to be closer to the weapon's upper range limit. I definitely noticed rats dying in one hit instead of two with the same weapon as my skill increased.
Also, I'm not sure about the "always hit" thing because sometimes you hit for 0 damage, irrespective of the weapon.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
So I put a little over 6 hours into Aeon of Sands today...
- The floor is lava. Seriously they *love* covering their dungeons in floor tiles that hurt you and force you to walk through them. I guess this is to compensate for the fact that you'll never take combat damage.

I know the area you are speaking about, and I understand your frustration there, having replayed it over and over again. We just released a patch that makes thing more fair there, thanks!

The patch addresses more things too!

Check it here:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/907820/announcements/detail/1692688303105155537

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://medium.com/@gofig.news/a-coffee-break-with-florian-aeon-of-sands-the-trail-5410422ac0d8

A Coffee Break with: Florian, Aeon of Sands — The Trail

How often does an exchange on a game’s forum evolve, not only in a sincere friendship, but also in a fully developed, commercialized game?
Not often, I bet.
Yet, that’s the real lore behind the game
Aeon of Sands, the first released game from Two Bits Kid.

The recipe is simple, but it takes a rare chemistry and two matching ingredients:
Florian, a software developer living in Germany, and Marco, an illustrator and artist from Italy, meeting each other on the Legend of Grimrock’s website.
One was working on a 2.5d engine, the other on a user interface and character portraits, and both shared the same passion: retro, first-person perspective crawlers, think Eye of the Beholder and Perihelion.
A recipe made in a dungeon crawler’s heaven, I told you!

Now all good things take time : it took our two-men’s crew 6.5 years of their life to make Aeon of Sands, a game that’s not only a love letter to the crawlers of yore, but a unique potluck of many inspirations, from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy to the post-apocalypse genre, with some Lawrence of Arabia’s zest thrown in.

We had the chance to ask Florian some questions, and here’s what he had to say:

1*6HpDzX3kITZ_95pmRLUQgQ.png

Hi Florian, and welcome to our Coffee Break!
You’ve created quite an universe in Aeon of Sands. It blends post-apo à la Mad Max or even Fallout and an almost picaresque storyline, with this clerk forced into a big scale quest…
How did you and Marco settle for that lore, and what was the writing process?

We like that word, “picaresque”, it very well describes what our game is about, it’s like a Brancaleone’s Army, from the popular Italian movie from the Fifties.
We agreed on the ambiance and tone early on, around early 2013, and Marco wrote the story from the inside, meaning he started with the dialogues, in 2014 from January to August. As they were fleshed out, they then dictated what we needed to complete them, not only in terms of game design, for the mazes, for instance, but also in terms of lore to create separately.
From there we went on refining things as the development progressed, with the remaining dialogues written in 2017, and then revised by our editor.

1*oO4cfyYMtyJ-wpW8x6-5fA.png

1*9by65ahAudkpIwyWyo0NCQ.png

What struck me is the very tongue-in-cheek tone in the writing, right from the tutorial!
We’re just not used to humor brought into the dungeon crawler genre.
Where does that come from? A desire to dust off the genre?

No, that’s just Marco who has difficulty to take anything seriously ;-)
That said, we both feel very strongly that the rpg genre as a whole takes its narratives way too seriously, often as superhuman story arcs, megalomaniac fantasies.
We were simply not interested in doing that.

1*1iYwDn8FhfOdJRFbYHV1Ug.png

What impresses me with Aeon of Sands, is the amount of choices you’ve left up for the player to take, giving the game a feel that’s almost “Choose your own Adventure”-like.
It’s especially impressive because there’s only the two of you, and you really didn’t go the easy road.
So, why was it so important for you to give player narrative choices?

Yes, to create, implement, test and revise the branching nature of Aeon of Sands’ narrative is one of the most difficult things in development, but we felt that it was necessary to be very specific with this story, to avoid it being only a blurred background.
And this specificity meant for us that the choices needed to have different and tangible consequences, plus an amount of text that is novel-sized.

But that’s the point: any game is a story. Such mechanics are something we as players care for, even subconsciously; thus, we should care for it even more as developers.
In this case, the game is a story we tell. We wanted to tell it the best we could, so, this was the choice we made. And if it required complexity, we would have gone for it, as we have.

1*4An_eOcySvswoSPN3xlZ_Q.png

I love how you mixed positioning with real-time, with skills having n cells range, making it very tactical.
When you designed combats mechanics, what did you have in mind, and what did you want to avoid?

Grid-based and real-time are often two incompatible games’ types.
Round based would be the typical choice. But we didn’t want to make a sluggish game. We wanted a dynamic game that emphasized the nature of the world and the setting.

To make this playable, we abolished the smooth movement introduced in 3D. That way you can move much faster and more spontaneously. Each opponent has its own AI, we have given each type its own behaviour.
So e.g. enemies flee if they have only 1/3 of their life points left (these regenerate very slowly, as with their own character). Bosses also have different combat phases and can for example summon other enemies. Under certain circumstances it can happen that a human NPC fights against an animal NPC. However, we have deactivated this for the most part, since it was not conducive to balancing.

Overall, everything should feel fast and dynamic. Hence the decision to use a different magic system than usual.

1*CVJ479SpoyhDV2a3gfZ7uw.png

Dungeon crawling is a niche genre, that gained some resurgence since Legend of Grimrock.
Still, it’s not like we’re drowning in a sea of dungeon crawlers out there, despite a regained interest from players in retro-looking games.
What’s the reason for that?

Your guess is as good as mine, but probably the complexity of development of a good rpg/dungeon crawler is the same, regardless whether it’s free roaming 3D or it’s a blobber on a grid, and it’s not like there’s big money in this, especially at indie level.

I think that for us, it was the best possible choice to create a game with our vision of a game world. Everything else was out of scope. Also the immersion we achieved with Aeon of Sands wouldn’t have been possible with only 2D sidescroller, and full free roaming 3D was totally out of scope.

It took us 6.5 years to develop it… and we finished it. We probably never would have finished it, would we have done it in full 3D. The cost would have been way too high.

1*T_8X2VlpRKPsi2W_RBg59Q.png

1*xVpsMqo4ne1FFjIkkYArOg.jpeg

You developed the engine, and all the tools that come with. I even read on an interview you’ve done (with peer Indie Retro News — Ed.) you had developed a bot to play the game for you!
In an era where dev. environments as Unity or Unreal Engine make the task easier, you wanted it all tailor-made. That’s no small feat!
What are the perks from building your own engine, and what were the difficulties you’ve encountered?

We used LÖVE as groundlayer. It’s an open source game engine, handling drawing, sound aso. But that’s it. There is no game engine inside…not even a gui-system or any editor.

When we started, Unity was still very young and not really stable. We could have switched after maybe three years, but the engine was already complete at this time.

As the game is really big (thrice Legend of Grimrock) and every change could possibly add new bugs, we needed to test the game over and over again. We did this for 1–2 years but I realized that it’s very inefficient and we don’t find bugs like …opening this door 1000 times may crash the game. You know, these tests people just don’t do. So I wrote a small unintelligent bot who plays the game randomly. This is called fuzzy test. The bot can play the game from start to end…the only thing where I need to help it is the puzzles. Randomly it would take too long to solve them. The bot also doesn’t play the game very intelligently. In the end, It is dumb. It plays the same things over and over again and it cannot die.

But what it tests is the stability of the game, making sure that it’s completely without crashes. It is also 10,000 times faster than a human, but takes a lot more time to complete the game (about 44 hours).
But all this is no problem, as we can run it on different pcs than those we use for development.

I also wrote statistical tools to analyse our levels and spawned npcs, because in such a big game you have to do a lot of balancing and analyses. Really…a lot!

In addition, I wrote my own parser for twine and enhanced twine for conditions and results which are used to do choices in our story.

1*UzRvhdztEeGqoeJKM7NXPg.jpeg

What’s the reason behind the choice of low resolution?

Two reasons: our aesthetics are influenced by the games we played in our youth and that we wanted to modernize in gameplay.

But on the other hand, 3D was also out of scope, as Marco is no 3D artist.

We could also have gone high-res 2D…and I honestly can’t give you reasons for why we decided differently.
(We think the game looks perfect as it is, so that all ended for the best — Ed.)

Aeon of Sands was made at night, through emails and Skype.
How did you and Marco balance development?

Marco worked mainly at day, while I did in the evening. This way we didn’t cross each other. We made a skype call almost every 1–2 weeks….but the usual things we ticketed in gitlab issues, wiki or mails.

Until today, we wrote more than 22,000 mails, about 2,000 issues and a very big wiki describing every part of the engine and the game itself.

We also met each other two times in real life..and since we have now become close friends, I think next year too :)

1*4mmNa1le1pUzatHGu87HRA.jpeg

The game is out now, but maybe you’ve already got something in mind for the future?
What’s next to come for Two Bits Kids?

We’ll have to see about that. More we cannot say at this point. But we had a second campaign planned already.
(Yay! — Ed.)

Just now, we support the game and enhance it more and more, so that more players can enjoy it.

Thank you for answering us, Florian!
Bonus question: coffee, tea, or beer? ☕?

Marco drinks only water ;)
As for me, all of the above ;)

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Played this a bit and I mostly agree with Sinatar.

The art design and aesthetic is fantastic, even though its post apoc (which is done to death at this stage) its a fairly unique and interesting take on it. Similar to Ishar series, the locations and characters are oozing with atmosphere and charm, which really pulls you into the game world. And then this is all utterly destroyed by the writing...

The writing is text book "indie 4th wall breaking/meta" rubbish, I really hate this stuff but at first I was willing to allow it. You can imagine that as the main character is some kind of lazy pampered failure (possibly equivalent of failed art student in our world) that some of the dialogue and descriptions are being filtered through his mind, so it makes sense that its cynical/sarcastic. But once I realized every single text description and dialogue with another character was going to be in "to edgy for you" mode I was done.

This is such a terrible shame as it ruins all the work that has gone into the art/design and world building. Wasted, wasted, wasted potential...

And yea the combat is that awful dancing BS, all strategy involves walking backwards in a circle while spamming left click on your weapons. God knows why this style of combat is having a resurgence, I guess its easier than programing turn based combat?

I would need to play more to comment on dungeons, so far it does not seem that bad, all these RT blobber games have twisty maze dungeons, thats just part of the appeal.

IronMaiden

Novice
Played this a bit and I mostly agree with Sinatar.

The art design and aesthetic is fantastic, even though its post apoc (which is done to death at this stage) its a fairly unique and interesting take on it. Similar to Ishar series, the locations and characters are oozing with atmosphere and charm, which really pulls you into the game world. And then this is all utterly destroyed by the writing...

The writing is text book "indie 4th wall breaking/meta" rubbish, I really hate this stuff but at first I was willing to allow it. You can imagine that as the main character is some kind of lazy pampered failure (possibly equivalent of failed art student in our world) that some of the dialogue and descriptions are being filtered through his mind, so it makes sense that its cynical/sarcastic. But once I realized every single text description and dialogue with another character was going to be in "to edgy for you" mode I was done.

This is such a terrible shame as it ruins all the work that has gone into the art/design and world building. Wasted, wasted, wasted potential...

And yea the combat is that awful dancing BS, all strategy involves walking backwards in a circle while spamming left click on your weapons. God knows why this style of combat is having a resurgence, I guess its easier than programing turn based combat?

I would need to play more to comment on dungeons, so far it does not seem that bad, all these RT blobber games have twisty maze dungeons, thats just part of the appeal.

I pretty much agree with this. The dancing combat doesn't bother me as much as some, but would much rather have turn based, but the writing is just weird and pulls you out of the atmosphere. Dungeons are fine, with the obligatory secret buttons, walls you can destroy, and direction spinners. I am not a fan of the inventory system. Not only can you not carry much, but your companions can't carry anything at all. You just leave a ton of stuff laying around and although you don't need it, as an OCD person I like to keep everything and I can't. The game still has a certain charm and is fun despite the flaws and it seems pretty much bug free.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I need the link or a bit of help.
Like first and most important, how does one do screen shots in this game?
Feel free to use this thread for any other game related discussions until we find the other one.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
OMG, this game only has 1 steam review.
If people who buy games on steam read this thread, please help the game get a bit more coverage.
It's a nice dungeon crawler/blobber with bad jokes but good artwork and different kinds of maps (nice world building) and text adventures and very opaque c&c. Like i was allowed to get 2 things from the market before being sent out into the desert and one of those i picked was a watter faucet i'm still looking a use for. somewhere out there a kitchen sink with no faucet is waiting for me with promises of water.
seriously though, these kind of games must not fly under everyones radar. we need more!

EDIT: actually it has 22, steam must have bugged out on me. still pretty low.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I'm stuck at an ancient cave complex. Don't look if you are afraid of spoilers! Help me if you've been there.
BteD1Ii.jpg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did you only look at the German reviews or something?
I see 17 reviews.

Which still isn't a lot, though...
Looks like a game that should gather more interest,really, but so far it doesn't seem that way. Who knows, there can be many reasons for that.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
More faux-old school style over substance garbage, and best of all laced with oh so unique irony. And the style and visual design isn't even as good as the games from the 90s that it is emulating. Designers back then had to work within the limitations of hardware and software of the era and still managed to produce better visuals (not to mention gameplay but that is even more obvious) than this MS Paint level crap that is using "retro" style as a pure luxury.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom