Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adrenaline in RPGs

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
There isnt so far as Ive seen, but mebbe this could be:

How adrenaline could be implemented into an rpg

as a kind of meter,

1st level: General level of adrenaline - get this at the start of any combat or feat of strength
2nd level: Damage has been taken or a couple of shots have been avoided
3rd level: Wounded, or kill has been made
4th level: Multiple kills/hits
5th level: Peak for a short time, on a rampage

- temporary negative effects to your stats would be applied to you after your adrenaline wears off if you hit 4th and 5th levels
- level 5 is rampage and would give a larger str/agi boost then other levels
-traits/perks could effect adrenaline -eg; a trait could remove adrenaline altogether, you are an emotionless killer. Another could make levels 4 and 5 extremely easy to hit but giving you large reductions to perception and intelligence like a berserker type of thing. You could even do a Jekyll n Hyde thing where certain drugs could trigger your 5th level immediately but also turn you completely psychotic. Skys the limit.
- cripples to body parts woud still apply

STR - Extra str for each level of adrenaline.

PER - High per would let you take in more of what is going on as you gain adrenaline, letting you gain adrenaline faster especially for 4th and 5th. It would also help you marginally to concentrate your adrenaline, giving you bonuses to str/agi.

EN - Decreases the gain and decay of adrenaline. (Rampages would be harder to get but once you get them they would last longer)

INT - You can concentrate easier when the adrenaline comes, increases the amount that adrenaline gives to your agi/str and marginally makes it easier to get 4th and 5th. Also gives increases to perception at 4th lvl and 5th.

AGI - Extra agi for each level of adrenaline.

AP and resist incapacitate are increased separately also (marginally).
This is just a framework and you would have to balance it well but adrenaline could make a pretty interesting game mechanic.

soggie

Educated
So this would mean a character would get more deadly as he gets more hurt?

I would suggest keeping the adrenaline mechanism a random factor though. It doesn't make sense if all characters (regardless of their will and courage) suddenly turn into the Hulk when their HP drops to lesser than 10%.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Yah, you could randomise traits/perks for each NPC to fit the context. I wrote a bit about it in the edit

Phelot

Arcane
soggie said:
So this would mean a character would get more deadly as he gets more hurt?

Though this may make sense for certain creatures and animals. An enraged bear for example.

Here's a thought:

Adrenaline kicks in when you're actually struck, but near misses have the chance to make you panic. You move faster, but your perception decreases and your general battle ability decreases. I doubt I would get pumped for a fight if my head was just nearly taken off. Perhaps have it on a sliding scale of possibility between the two.

At lower experience, you're more likely to panic in a situation, while the more experienced you become in battle, the less panic you feel in those situations. Conversely, you're more likely to feed off of the adrenaline rush rather than going crazy rabbit.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Here's a thought:

Adrenaline kicks in when you're actually struck, but near misses have the chance to make you panic. You move faster, but your perception decreases and your general battle ability decreases. I doubt I would get pumped for a fight if my head was just nearly taken off. Perhaps have it on a sliding scale of possibility between the two.

This is probably the most iffy part, with adrenaline gain/use and loss being different for each character ideally, but I think you could probably solve this with traits and perks.

At lower experience, you're more likely to panic in a situation, while the more experienced you become in battle, the less panic you feel in those situations. Conversely, you're more likely to feed off of the adrenaline rush rather than going crazy rabbit.

Thats true, having experience play into how much adrenaline affects you would be a good thing, maybe restricting the character from 4th and 5th till level 10 or something, when they have become more battle-hardened. This would also work good with intelligent characters mastering there adrenaline earlier.

Jason

chasing a bee
Brigade E5/7.62 does adrenaline, with the character becoming faster yet less accurate as the adrenaline level rises. Adrenaline levels rise slower for more experienced characters while green troops will see bigger jumps in it when they come under fire. It's actually a decent way to handle suppressing fire.

chzr

Scholar
Jason said:
Brigade E5/7.62 does adrenaline, with the character becoming faster yet less accurate as the adrenaline level rises. Adrenaline levels rise slower for more experienced characters while green troops will see bigger jumps in it when they come under fire. It's actually a decent way to handle suppressing fire.

this.

soggie

Educated
Don't experienced people find it easier to tap into their adrenaline mechanisms? Ask any boxers in the ring and they'd tell you that they get into the "zone" easier after much more training. I'd assume this would be the same as "turning on your adrenaline".

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
soggie said:
Don't experienced people find it easier to tap into their adrenaline mechanisms? Ask any boxers in the ring and they'd tell you that they get into the "zone" easier after much more training. I'd assume this would be the same as "turning on your adrenaline".

Don't know if this "zone" effect is linked to adrenaline. More like reflexes and automatic behaviour taking over. The more you train the easier you can access these, which allows you to think less and therefore concentrate more on other things.

Since adrenealine is a hormone, and the human body tends to get used to hormones, the "more experience = less adrenaline" methods seems more "realistic" to me.

soggie

Educated
I was referring to "aggression" though. Boxers "gear" themselves up by mentally telling themselves to "go out and hammer that dude into paste", working themselves up emotionally to get into a fighting state.

At this point, is the boxer's body surged with adrenaline? Do they have better control of their adrenaline mechanisms to a point where they can "fire up their engines" on-call?

I don't know, maybe this could be a useful angle to look into.

Actually, when boxers start tapping into adrenaline they start making mistakes. Cold killer will always be more effective in combat than adrenaline junkie, just because the cold killer is always thinking.

soggie

Educated
Actually, when boxers start tapping into adrenaline they start making mistakes. Cold killer will always be more effective in combat than adrenaline junkie, just because the cold killer is always thinking.

I think you mean "overloaded with adrenaline" to the point where it starts clouding your senses. Every time a human is placed under a situation where he has to exert a certain amount of physical effort, adrenaline kicks in to amplify your body's capabilities.

Or at least that's what I remember from my biology lessons from 10 years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom