Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Adam Badowski describes Witcher 3's non-sandbox open world, confirms multiplayer for Cyberpunk 2077

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am suspecting they cannot think out of the box any more. Tightly scripted sequences is the second worst thing after cutscenes. Most of the story should be conveyed through gameplay, and pressing X button to jump and W key to go up is hardly better than a QTE.

But maybe they will come up with something creative, I don't know. I know for sure, however, is that from these interviews I don't get the vibe like they had something really fun to play in mind - just your standard setpieces masked as a game.

Yeah well, as always it's all a matter of one's expectations. I never had high expectations for the Witcher games, so I'm just fairly pleased to see them inflict Polish homo-ball-cutting grimdarkness on a multitude of RPG subgenres. :smug:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I am suspecting they cannot think out of the box any more. Tightly scripted sequences is the second worst thing after cutscenes. Most of the story should be conveyed through gameplay, and pressing X button to jump and W key to go up is hardly better than a QTE.

But maybe they will come up with something creative, I don't know. I know for sure, however, is that from these interviews I don't get the vibe like they had something really fun to play in mind - just your standard setpieces masked as a game.

Yeah well, as always it's all a matter of one's expectations. I never had high expectations for the Witcher games, so I'm just fairly pleased to see them inflict Polish homo-ball-cutting grimdarkness on a multitude of RPG subgenres. :smug:

Are TWitcher games really so influential? I didn't notice any games made in a similar vain.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are TWitcher games really so influential? I didn't notice any games made in a similar vain.

That's not what I meant.

(But then there are some people who think Witcher affected the Dragon Age setting, although AFAIK the similarities are just a coincidence)

Mrowak

Arcane

That's not what I meant.

(But then there are some people who think Witcher affected the Dragon Age setting, although AFAIK the similarities are just a coincidence)

Yeah, those two approaches are far apart. BTW, I like the grimndarknessess of TW games, I mildly enjoy their gameplay, but I think that as RPGs they do not deliver. Here I was hoping TW3 will finally take steps in the only :obviously: direction, but I really can't see that happening now.

Indranys

Savant
"It will be a story-based RPG experience with amazing single-player playthroughs, but we're going to add multiplayer features," CDPR managing director Adam Badowski told me."

So all hope for CDPR is gone for good. : x
While the combat is bad, I love the Witcher 1 for what it is.
And now they destroy this Cyberpunk game with this multiplayer garbage.
Such a same, I had my interest for this game (Because at least the graphix was cool). :(

Rake

Arcane

That's not what I meant.

Yeah, those two approaches are far apart. BTW, I like the grimndarknessess of TW games, I mildly enjoy their gameplay, but I think that as RPGs they do not deliver. Here I was hoping TW3 will finally take steps in the only :obviously: direction, but I really can't see that happening now.
I think this was never in the cards. After all The 2 game was a step backwards from the first. I was resigned to the idea that CDR would focus only on storytelling(not that i had a problem with that) but now they seem to dilute even that.

Mrowak

Arcane

That's not what I meant.

I think this was never in the cards. After all The 2 game was a step backwards from the first. I was resigned to the idea that CDR would focus only on storytelling(not that i had a problem with that) but now they seem to dilute even that.

Not necesserily. You could tell some great stories in an open-world game using some fine gameplay mechanics. All you'd have to do is invest in reactivity and quest design and ditch cutscenes... however, they appear to want to keep redundant cutscene nonsense in the gameplay style it doesn't fit. That's worrisome.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
A heavy story oriented game with a predefined character is in fact what TWitcher crowd wants - that's why many of them are so butthurt about CP2077 having sandbox structure with classes and custom chars. So it makes sense for CDPR to keep it the way it was in the last installment.

As for the MP in Cyberpunk, if it's going to be NWN style then I'm totally into it.

Rake

Arcane

That's not what I meant.

Not necesserily. You could tell some great stories in an open-world game using some fine gameplay mechanics. All you'd have to do is invest in reactivity and quest design and ditch cutscenes... however, they appear to want to keep redundant cutscene nonsense in the gameplay style it doesn't fit. That's worrisome.
I always considered CDR direction the same as Bioware's. The main difirense is that they are competent instead of hacks. But in an openworld direction? I don't know if they can pull it of. Bioware goes to the same direction with DA:I. I excpect a disaster there too. With W3 i have more hope but still...
If we get something on par with New Vegas i will be verry happy.

Wizfall

Cipher
Cyberpunk 2077 : a multiplayer FPS which wants to make you believe it's an cRPG.
Before kickstarter i was so eager to play anything a little bit cRPG that it could have worked.
Not working anymore now.
Well at least the setting should be good :smug:

MasPingon

Arcane
So Geralt can jump and climb in this non-sandbox sandbox story driven open ended crpg, but still can't swim besides cutscenes?

Did you notice they are not using their ex PR clown,Tomasz Gop, favourite world - hardcore - anymore? Does that mean TW won't be hardcore oldschool crpg anymore?

slamelov

Novice
Size matters, always matters, that's what my wife always says. Not sure if she talks about videogames.

I'd like a cooperative in Steampunk, it's the only multiplayer I like, but I suppose they will make some kind of arena.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
5onoyu9.png

How long before EA buys them out?

Globbi

Augur
Not so. "We don't want to make any compromises in storytelling," he told me. "We simply needed to come up with a larger-scale story. That's it. The world is bigger so we need to fill it with good stories.
The focus is on storytelling, seems good. We know that combat and character development will be non-existent, which we expected, but possibly less annoying than in W2. Exploration can actually be interesting.

Problem is, we can't really judge the game that only focuses on storytelling without knowing anything about those stories. I always hated those "we have X number of hours to play" and now additionally I am spoiled by CMC explaining concepts for Torment. I guess I will have to avoid any W3 PR for at least a year since we are not getting any relevant information from it.

himmy

Arcane
Which basically means you can climb up only in special places. :/ Not very reassuring.

Have no idea how it is in Uncharted, but I'd be content if the climbing functions like in Gothic. Is Uncharted anything like that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom