Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Actors in mmorpgs?

Crnobog

Liturgist
So, I was browsing Dr.Mysterian's predictions out of boredom and came upon this bit:
http://drmysterian.com/04.07.05.html

He's some guy that claims he can predict future trends, but it doesn't really matter if he's real or not, since some of these 'predictions' are interesting on their own merit.

What do you think, does it have a future? Wouldn't you like to actually meet Patrick Stewart in TES DCLXVI: Online?

Helioth

Scholar
Actors in M.M.O.R.P.G's

Hmm, It was an entertaining read, I'll give you that.
The minor detail that it's utterly pretentious and hideously systematically cognitively biased,
can go unnoticed I guess. As long as your level headed (your not). :twisted:

It all just looks like one big *I can write lots of funny shiet, cheap* advert to me.
And if i was a bored single mom, i'd read that. That and just about anything to subjugate my undying rage...

In other news: Patr1ck stweard ! ! shift1.
Yes, MMO's may become a slightly more interesting genre.
Although i wouldn't place too much trust in the actual actor's ability to roleplay through text,
Especially in the tangled webs of superlatives that Online "R.P.G"'s seem to have become.

Oh, and hi Codexers, been meaning to sign up for a while.
Bite please, its 4am and I'm bored.

DarkSign

Erudite
Acting in MMOs actually isnt a new idea - so far, however, its been cost prohibitive.

If you think about paying people to play MMOs as NPCs...the numbers become too large.

3 shifts of 8 hours per day x 20 people x 8$ an hour = Thats 4,000 per day.
Technically you could half that, but 10 NPCs wouldnt hardly cover a server with 3,000 players on at any one time. Then multiply that cost by the number of servers you have and it gets even higher.

A game like WoW that has had phenominal success could try this, but Id bet that the corporate suits would see it eating into profits...and not authorize it.

We are planning something like this but on a volunteer basis - rewarding veterans for long play. Not only would you be able to jump into any NPC individually, but you could have an RTS system where a GM could control a group of NPCs to simulate more realistic battle.

Unless you find a way to put trustworthy volunteers in the game, the costs would be too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom