Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Act of Aggression by Eugen Systems

Quatlo

Arcane
I checked every box in the "What rts games have you played" section.
They will probably think im lying just to get the beta :(

Quatlo

Arcane
Dear Eugen VIP Beta player,

We are happy to inform you that you have been selected to participate in the Act of Aggression VIP Beta, which will take place from Friday 15th to Sunday 17th.

Here is your beta key:

:yeah::flamesaw:

Quatlo

Arcane
Also apparently there is no NDA so people are free to share any screenshots, clips etc from the game.
Do you guys want to see (or read) something in particular?

Also they added a nice little disclaimer in the end of the mail:

DISCLAIMER about this VIP Beta version:

As mentioned above, the version of the game you are about to play is still a beta one. Therefore, it lacks polishing, fine tuning and may include some bugs.

Here are some known problems or bugs we are aware of and are working on, therefore there is no need to report them. Anyway, we apologize for it.

- individual soldiers' display (color, size, ...) requires some work for a quicker and clearer identification.

- some problems with infantry units entering buildings.

- some problems with infantry groups' formations.

- capture order can't be shifted.

- soldiers' corpses are still displayed in see-through or golden, which can be confusing with wounded/prisoners.

- resources fields aren't easy enough to spot.

- buildings and banks disappear once entirely destroyed, although they shouldn't.

- airstrike feedbacks (planes' ghosts) are too big and clumsy.

- artillery isn't as powerful as it should be against buildings.

- artillery/air/healing "strikes"' zone markers are placeholders.

- helicopters are stacking one onto another when exiting their factory.

- many sound FXs are placeholders (i.e.: super-weapons, engines, ...).

- some particular FXs (RPG, ...) aren't visible enough.

- HUD buttons are soundless.

- super-weapons don't reveal the terrain they are bombarding, as they should be.

- units' target prioritization system & automatic behavior aren't implemented yet.

- end game screen doesn't display total scores

- no victory / defeat animation

- replay interface is still a placeholder.

- some targeting cursors may be slightly out of sync with the target.

- when you build a depot between a refinery and your HQ, the trucks must still be assigned manually to the former to unload their cargo there instead of going all the way to the HQ.

This beta enables you to play multiplayer games only, and with only one faction: the US Army.

Three maps are available, one in 1vs1, one in 2vs2, and one in 2vs2 and 4 players FFA.

Although they will be available in the final version, the ability to add AI, the observer mode, custom game settings (resources, ...), more maps, four other sets of terrain (Europe, Mexico, China, Central Asia), the two remaining factions, ranked games, player stats, achievements, ... are not included in this beta.

So they abandoned Wargoyim for this piece of shit.

Eugen keeps dropping the ball all over the place like a bunch of neuropathic retards.

Quatlo

Arcane
I played it for 2 days, here is what I think:

I really like the unit variety, there is 6 infantry units, ~10 vehicles, 4 choppers and few planes, each comes with an upgrade or two.
Resource system resolves around finding fields with oil/aluminum/rare earth and put extracting facilities near them, then little trucks start traveling between them and your base delivering theextracted goods, if the facilities are far away you need to buy more trucks so the refinery doesnt fill and stops producing untll some room is made again.
There are also banks, which can be occupied by your troops and looted for steady cash flow, think of hackers from CnC Generals, and buildings that can be built that give you flat income like GLA Black Market.
Finally, some of the infantry units can capture wounded enemy troopers or pilots, they can be stored for later use in field hospital (For USA anyway) and sold for 1000 aluminum (Which is a lot, to go to Tier 2 you need 2000 Dollars and 2000 Aluminum) or 250 rare earth (Which is handy sum aswell, I don't remember how much exactly but ~500 rare earth will net you a nuke)
T1 units cost mostly Dollars, T2 Aluminum and T3 Aluminum + Rare earth. Abrams however costs only dollars so theywill be your main cashdump in the endgame :P

This ends up being a little hectic however, if you want to expand you spread yourself very thin, droping refineries all over the place, maps are very big, and units, especially infantry are very slow, so transport units are a necessity. Which leads to cosntant harassment cat and mouse, with you driving around and capturing (because marines can capture buildings, just like Generals) enemy refineries while trying to deny your enemy the same, WHILE defending banks from snipers and mortar fire WHILE capturing enemy prisoners and healing your wounded with medavacs.

Combat itself is, at least for me, a ton of fun, with large variety of units and ways to utilise them. Infantry feels ultra squishy though, a single mortar shell drops them all in its explosion radius, so taking cover in one of abundant buldings is necessary.

It is also extremely important to not fall behind in tech race because you'll get nuked into oblivion if you don't build yourself a patriot missile. Also if anyone was wondering then yes, game ends with you facerolling the enemy with gazzilion of tanks so its CnC allright. I wonder what are the other factions because mirror matches end up being a bit samey in the end, but its like every other rts.

As a bonus fun autists in chat crying that its not their Wargoim anymore

80s Stallone

Arcane
Have played some matches (but I had mostly no idea what I was doing because there is relatively much content).

Game is fun so far, but I guess balancing this will be hard with three factions.

On the other hands, art design, atomosphere, sound design and so on is pretty generic and I don't think the Wargame engine is truly fitting for a classic RTS.

But I guess I'll buy this.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you want a Eugene version of C&C Generals this is the game for your, if you want something like their previous crappy games you will skip this.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Popular perhaps. But it was also a pretty banal c&c clone.
Wargame was something new and interesting. No build-up phase where you're following a spreadsheet to churn out the optimal number of units and set up your base. Conflict happening all over the map instead of in small blobs. Every unit being useful and combined arms being mandatory. Solid fog of war mechanics. major roads beign crucial because of logistics. Scaling from 1v1 to 10v10 without the game getting bogged down.

Instead we get C&C clone #235629750. There is not a single original thought in Act of Aggression.

omega21

Arcane
Their "previous crapphy games" were fun. This looks banal. :|
C&C Generals was much more fun and popular.

It was its own thing, and certainly more mass market than the Wargame series. It's a different kind of fun, it's like comparing new MS Flight Sim to DCS World.

Ulminati already said what I want to say, and I just want to add that they are basically rehashing their old Act of War, too, so you can't even credit them with copying Generals.

Face it, Eugen gave up on their market niche and instead making popamole of RTS. With reused assets.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Popular perhaps. But it was also a pretty banal c&c clone.
Wargame was something new and interesting. No build-up phase where you're following a spreadsheet to churn out the optimal number of units and set up your base. Conflict happening all over the map instead of in small blobs. Every unit being useful and combined arms being mandatory. Solid fog of war mechanics. major roads beign crucial because of logistics. Scaling from 1v1 to 10v10 without the game getting bogged down.

Instead we get C&C clone #235629750. There is not a single original thought in Act of Aggression.
I am sorry but you are an idiot. Or trolling on purpose.

It has 3 resources with one only unlocking as higher tech. It has POW system. It has faster movement on roads. It has off screen Airfields. I has helicopters that can fire from much longer range and are good at killing tanks (like in RL). It has long range missile vehicles that actually feel like a long range weapon.

Beowulf

Arcane
It has 3 resources with one only unlocking as higher tech. It has POW system. It has faster movement on roads. It has off screen Airfields. I has helicopters that can fire from much longer range and are good at killing tanks (like in RL). It has long range missile vehicles that actually feel like a long range weapon.

Even with these ground breaking features it will still be a popamole RTS, more so than Wargame ever was, which at least tried to bring some "authenticity" to virtual clashes.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I am sorry but you are an idiot. Or trolling on purpose.

'k. I'll go with Dune 2, Command and Conquer, Warcraft 2 and Total Annihilation as some of the successful and oft-cloned granddaddies of the genre. If you're going to try and counter with "3 sides with entirely different units", I'll add Starcraft to the mix. I'm not saying that any of these games I mention are bad. Just that they're the successful examples that knockoff studios clone over and over instead of coming up with something new and interesting.

It has 3 resources with one only unlocking as higher tech.
Warcraft 2 has gold, lumber and food. With oil only unlocking for ships. One is produced in a building (food), one is gathered from a node (gold) and one alters the terrain as you collect it (wood). The last high-tech resource requires special equipment (ships and oil platforms).

It has POW system.
Lots of games had this. The two that spring to mind is Total Annihilation (capture enemy constructor to build enemy factories and units) and the Deviator in Dune 2. (Temporary. But capturing enemy units has been a staple right from the start).

It has faster movement on roads.
Also pretty normal. Dune 2 had different movement speeds on sand, rock and concrete slabs. A concrete path to the spice field would halve the transport time of your harvesters.

It has off screen Airfields.
Command and conquer. Nod units arrive via off-screen airfields. Dune2 had the starport. If you're talking airstrikes called in from off-screen, there are dozens of examples there as well.

I has helicopters that can fire from much longer range and are good at killing tanks (like in RL). It has long range missile vehicles that actually feel like a long range weapon.
Total Annihilation Big Bertha/Intimidator. Plenty of other games with long-range hover units. VTOL craft beating tanks is a staple in RTS'es.

Original ideas: 0.

In closing, since Jaesun isn't here to do it:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom