Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Academagia: The Making of Mages

Visbhume

Prophet
Looks good. Reminds me of "King of Dragon Pass", but this game seems to focus in playing a single, identifiable character rather than being strategy- or management- oriented.

Is the "Choose Your Own Adventure" genre making a comeback? There have been a few of these kinds of games lately, like "Choice of Broadsides". Let's see where this thing goes.

(combat is not necessary for RPGs by the way)

laclongquan

Arcane
It's bloody good. I abandon my BGT run and withstand the CxC Codex Saga slowness with barely a whimper thank to this shit. It's not at the level of Sengoku Rance's addictiveness but it's close.

Play it, faggots!

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
This looked interesting at first but WTF, after 3 months of ingame time, 3 INT and spending almost every break on Study/Train/Work Your Ass Off I'm gettin 20s-30s on the exams?

Also, maybe I picked the wrong classes but most of the time none of the skill checks are for my core skills and even when they are, I'm getting failures or half-successes at lvl 5.

laclongquan

Arcane
boyo, that's the lack of info I talk about

To get passable grade in midterm, you gotta have atleast level5 in each parent subject. For Final, level10.

Exam grade has a random factor built in. If you are higher than 5 (or 10 in fi nal), you are guaranteed passable grade. BUT if you are 5 (or 10) you are in for a chance to be surprise buttsex.

The way to temporarily up the level of that subject is use spell or some action. Like Take Measurement, which add 4 to Astrology for days. Or cast aenalla wardrobe with a glamour pheme addin at Air Garden. Check your spell description.

Study is to get additional perks for that seubject. Study top off at 10. Research is bloody harder.

The way to get good progress is to match your abilities with your subject. You got good int, you choose subject that got dominant attribute is INT. THEN, you Study in libraries. There are approritate studies that up your level of subskills which is 2-3 tiems faster than other kind of study. And with Research 9 you can have a chance to discover Read Source Material in one library, which up 4 subskills, IIRC.

If you feel your character not fun to play,. maybe you should abandon and restart a new one. Try a different familiar, abilities, anything.

deuxhero

Arcane
pipka said:
Academagia_Adventuring.jpg

Intense and p. sweet! :incline:

Pachait? The Girl of Knowledge and Shadow?

Kenneybounces

Novice
Yeah i didn't really get into it either. Playing little kids trying to get a good grade by arranging schedules.. zzzz...
I had more fun playing a "japanese anime game" with a cute innocent lolita arranging her schedules.... umm but that's a story for another day. A LP perhaps? :smug:

Humanophage

Arcane
I'm liking the game so far. I'd regard it is a mixture of Princess Maker, Alter Ego, and King of Dragon Pass. The downside of the game is that the setting isn't particularly attractive, and the writing, albeit not bad, feels insubstantial. Because the game appears partly unfinished, it seems that a lot of writing is simply irrelevant. The game keeps rambling about obvious things, but gives little information on poignant issues such as the magic system.

Nevertheless, definitely going to spend more time on it.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Mostly raise your skills/stats and attack another students.

roll-a-die

Magister
BethesdaLove said:
kris said:
treave said:
FFS they're 12 years old you pedophile.

Legal in Mexico. :smug:

HOLY SHIT! I fucking knew there is a reason I always loved MEHICO!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_co ... ica#Mexico
Pshaw, depending on area of Japan it can range from 13 to 18. Also anything other than Vaginal, Oral and Anal penetration are legal for prostitutes. So in certain areas, you can get a hand job from a 13 year old then fondle them. Unfortunately as a US citizen you can't have any form of sex with a person under 16 in a foreign country.

laclongquan

Arcane
Magic? You can do lots of thing with that.

As a goodytwoshoes, I can cast magic to buff up my skills and get high grades. Genius level, I mean. Up on the stratosphere.

As an evil little shit, I can cast spell to mess up with other pupils: damage them so much they have to sleep off in the infirmary, esp right on the day of exam. Cause vendetta then go on an adventure to duel with your enemy. THere's two forbidden magic is Gates and Mastery which seem to be summoning devils and take control of other people.

As a social butterfly you can get friendly as many as possible then try to do their own personal adventures. each student has his her own, so it's a lot.

As an overachiever you can play to increase as many skill as you can in one year, with a guarantee that you can NOT max all of them. 60% maybe, if you work smart and reload like mad.

YOu can play an Item crafter to make scrolls, books, musical instruments, things... then enchant, enspell them.

You can play with your familiar by training its skills and bonds with you. the bonds affect the level you can train it. And its skill level/2 is the bonus you get from your familiar. each has two adventures: one from your point of view and another from ITS point of view. Since there's more than 20, it's also a lot and guarantee lots of replays. By play/train you can also cast magic to dominate it (mastery magic IIRC).

laclongquan

Arcane
Finished another replay about 3 months back. still good. I think it's about all they can squeeze out of Year 1, and they are in prep stages for Year 2. If you have the dough, it's time to buy year 1 and 15 free dlc.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I finished it a copy of months ago and really enjoyed it. It is a storybook management CRPG where you guide a pupil through his first year of magic school. I wouldn't really compare it to Harry Potter, because your young wizard won't really see any combat, but instead will build up his skills in order to go on puzzle-like quests, manage his relationships with friends and instructors, and build up a select set of skill sets.

It has a lot of replay value due to the different factions you can join, and the huge amounts of builds you can focus on. The skill sets are so spread out that you can't be great at everything or even a majority of things. Instead you have to really narrow down what you want to develop. I played a young mage that focused on enchantment, illusion, and negation magic when I won. He sucked when it came to athletics, but he was good at rhetoric and grammar. My new character is athletic, has talent with animals and plants, and focused on spells that have a more direct effect. Neither character has had time to build up their familiars. I'm sure I can replay the game several times over and still not see everything.

Some skills you will want all characters to learn, like negation magic and perception/danger sense skill sets. But you will quickly figure those out and have plenty of time to develop other skills. The devs made constant DLCs that they provided for free on their website. I really enjoyed it despite the flaws and the kiddy feel to it, and do recommend giving it a go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom