Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

About Ultima

Ammar

Scholar
Saxon1974 said:
How long does it take to level up in Ultima V?

My main characters has like 380 ex points and he is still at level 2. Is there a level table somewhere?

I lost some XP by going into Destard without a spell to get back up since its a pit style descent and not a latter so I had to die and get resurrected since I had already saved my game....

But other than that I havent done anything to get bad Karma. On that topic is there a way to check Karma in the C-128 version? It's cntl-k in the PC version.

It's

100 -> level 2
200 -> level 3
400 -> level 4
etc.
up to 6400 for level 8.

You need Lord British to appear to grant you your level ups, though. He appears randomly while camping outside. He also raises a random stat when you level up and I think you lose out on one raise if you get raised by two levels at once. So try to get him to appear before hitting 400 XP.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ammar said:
Saxon1974 said:
How long does it take to level up in Ultima V?

My main characters has like 380 ex points and he is still at level 2. Is there a level table somewhere?

I lost some XP by going into Destard without a spell to get back up since its a pit style descent and not a latter so I had to die and get resurrected since I had already saved my game....

But other than that I havent done anything to get bad Karma. On that topic is there a way to check Karma in the C-128 version? It's cntl-k in the PC version.

It's

100 -> level 2
200 -> level 3
400 -> level 4
etc.
up to 6400 for level 8.

You need Lord British to appear to grant you your level ups, though. He appears randomly while camping outside. He also raises a random stat when you level up and I think you lose out on one raise if you get raised by two levels at once. So try to get him to appear before hitting 400 XP.

So does he appear every time you camp and are ready to level up or randomly even then? So I should camp repeatedly till he shows up? Seems like I have camped alot and still level 2 with 380 xp. Weird.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
He also will NOT appear AT ALL when you are in the Underworld. And IIRC he will not show up while resting in a dungeon.

Silellak

Cipher
Saxon1974 said:
Jaesun said:
He also will NOT appear AT ALL when you are in the Underworld. And IIRC he will not show up while resting in a dungeon.

Dam I didn't know Lord British was high maintenance.
Really? I thought it was pretty obvious. I mean, just look at him:

ps-may407-lb.jpg

Saxon1974

Prophet
Silellak said:
Saxon1974 said:
Jaesun said:

Dam I didn't know Lord British was high maintenance.
Really? I thought it was pretty obvious. I mean, just look at him:

ps-may407-lb.jpg

LOL

Come on, you all know we wish we could have been cool enough to pull that off. The dude has been in space too.....

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
A few people have asked What's the difference between Exult and playing the original in say DOSBox. A few quick observations:

ALL the scheduling is now working. AGAIN I must state ONLY play/use the latest Exult 1.4.x Snapshots.

In playing the original I got to experience: 2 game breaking bugs, 4 hard locks ups (And people who died, were suddenly alive again). NONE of this will happen in Exult thankfully.

Schedule wise people open windows, turn off/on lights (depending on the time of day) serve food, every schedule behavior is now present in the current builds (even following people at certain times of the day to see... what they are up to). There are a few minor differences and missing behaviors, but unless you specifically were looking for them, you would not even notice them (and these are being addressed in the bug/request tracker).

I'll post more as I want to post a lulzy video of exploiting the original AI behavior (especially the baker in Britannia) who will drop anything and path to a new bag of flour like a crack addict. It's quite amusing honestly..

Saxon1974

Prophet
Jaesun said:
A few people have asked What's the difference between Exult and playing the original in say DOSBox. A few quick observations:

ALL the scheduling is now working. AGAIN I must state ONLY play/use the latest Exult 1.4.x Snapshots.

In playing the original I got to experience: 2 game breaking bugs, 4 hard locks ups (And people who died, were suddenly alive again). NONE of this will happen in Exult thankfully.

Schedule wise people open windows, turn off/on lights (depending on the time of day) serve food, every schedule behavior is now present in the current builds (even following people at certain times of the day to see... what they are up to). There are a few minor differences and missing behaviors, but unless you specifically were looking for them, you would not even notice them (and these are being addressed in the bug/request tracker).

I'll post more as I want to post a lulzy video of exploiting the original AI behavior (especially the baker in Britannia) who will drop anything and path to a new bag of flour like a crack addict. It's quite amusing honestly..

Exult is awesome, i get to U VII soon....

syllopsium

Educated
Jaesun said:

The original does a few things better, but not many :

Sound with a real MT32 is better in the original. It was off last time I checked in Exult.

Walking is different.

If I remember correctly the screen does not shake when a cyclops walks nearby. Then again, that only worked in the original using certain video cards too..

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
syllopsium said:
Sound with a real MT32 is better in the original. It was off last time I checked in Exult.

Since I own an MT-32 I noticed it still does not play correctly, however the OGG sound files are 99% exactly like the original and work just fine.

syllopsium said:
Walking is different.

I honestly did not notice until you said this, it is not that big of a deal for me personally.

syllopsium said:
If I remember correctly the screen does not shake when a cyclops walks nearby.

In the latest build the screen does shake when they walk by, and you are near them.

syllopsium said:
The original does a few things better, but not many :

What does the original do better? Crashing and plot stopping bugs? ;)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Saxon1974 said:
Everytime I enter Moonglow there is a Shadowlord of Falsehood there. Arent they supposed to move around?

IIRC they REALLY love camping Moonglow, Britian and Yew a lot. If you are now at the moment where you need to do.... some stuff there, just keep resting at the Abbey until they finally don't show up (and keep an eye on your food level). I fondly remember my party dying at the abbey because the fucking inn guy decided to run off and go to bed when I desperately needed to buy food from him. heh

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Saxon1974 said:
Dam Jaesun your a freaking Ultima expert. Thanks again.

I think by Abbey you mean The Lycaeum though since Empath Abbey isn't on Verity Isle.

gah yes, I meant The Lycaeum... I'm just used to sleeping at the Abbey waiting when they are camping Yew, usually in the beginning of the game.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS XU4 IS WHAT I AM PLAYING RIGHT NOW

I HAVENTFORGOT ABOUT MY ULTIMA FIVE REIVEIW IT IS ACTUALLY PART DONE

BROS I PLAYED THE EARLY ULTIMAS A FEW TIMES BUT NIW I AM REALKLY GETTING INTO FOUR IT ISNT JUST SLOGGING THROUGH IT THE GAME HAS ME PRETTY INVOLVED

IT REALLY IS THE FIRST GAME TO PUT ACTUALL ROLEPLAYING I MEAN YOU JUST DONT JKILL MOTHERFUCKERS YOU HAVE TO BE THE GOOD GUY AND WHAT MAKES THE GAME GREAT IS THAT IT ALLOWS YOU TO BE A BAD GUY BUT THEN YOU CANT WIN THAT IS C ANDC BROS

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jaesun said:
So, basically some people on the internets can implement that stuff in their engine, but major developers can't :x ?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Twenty-five years? fuck...

BLOBERT said:
BROS I PLAYED THE EARLY ULTIMAS A FEW TIMES BUT NIW I AM REALKLY GETTING INTO FOUR IT ISNT JUST SLOGGING THROUGH IT THE GAME HAS ME PRETTY INVOLVED
U4's great, especially compared to the previous ones. You can see some kind of evolution: U1 had a lot of crazy shit going on, upped to eleven in U2, then it seems as if Garriott decided to take things in a more reasonable direction with U3, with the removal of most of the silliness, having an actual plot and especially the non-combat ending. U4 is the continuation of this line of thought, but it's also completely different from the first trilogy. For one thing in the early ones, especially in U2, you HAD to kill and steal in order to win. Actually U1 wasn't any better, you had to kill the jester to get the princess out. Even in U3 you had to kill the poor guards to get keys. In U4 you get penalized for killing non-"evil" enemies. I think it was the first RPG that made you actually *think* about what you're trying to accomplish and how to get there, rather than slaughter your way to victory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom