Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline A year of Wargaming

Comte

Last December after finishing Baldurs Gate 1 I decided to take a break from RPG's and focus on Wargaming. I purchased and played alot of Wargames this year and I am starting to face serious burnout. I started playing Baldurs Gate 2 recently and I am returning to my RPG backlog. I wanted to write up a list of everything I played this year with some thoughts.

Gary Grigsby's War in the West and Gary Grigsby's War in the East - I played both of these monsters this year. I found that WITE played out much much faster then WITW as the turns are more fluid and there is alot more action per turn then WITW. WITW has a much deeper Air war model then WITE air model which is more abstract. The Air model is deep but can be very tedious. You can have the computer run air operations but for a game as complex as WITW your better doing the micromanagment yourself. WITW has one of the best weather model's I have ever seen in a wargame. There are storm fronts It can snow in the mountains and rain in the lower elevations. WITW though plays very slow The Allied forces have to slog it out with the veteran Axis formations. Ultimately though it is very deep game but you need alot of time to play it and alot of patience. I think out of the two games WITE despite it's abstracted air model is just more fun to play.

John Tiller's Panzer Campaigns Series - I played alot of these titles this year. I found that I enjoyed the smaller scenario's in alot of titles. Every title has a massive campaign I played a large campaign in Budapest '45 and lost to my Soviet opponent at the very end. These games have a pretty archaic interface and are not as fluid as the Grigsby titles mentioned above. You have to make every unit fire on their opponents and it gets very tedious especially during massive campaigns when you have 1000's of pieces. The best title I played was France '14. France '14 is the first of the First World War series and it was quite refreshing to play something that is not WW2. The game shows you how deadly it was for Infantry and Cavalry to charge into machine guns and artillery. I had some scenario's with horrendous casulties. I would keep throwing reserves into breaches in the enemy lines only to see them get chewed up for little ground.

AGEOD Games - I own alot of AGEOD games and I never got around to playing them by email until this year. I usually play against the AI. I really enjoyed War in America I felt this was the best AGEOD title I played this year. I played the French and Indian war scenario and I like how you can't just send huge armies everywhere you want. If you send a massive force into the wilderness to chase the French raiders they will be destroyed by bad weather and lack of supply. You really need to pay attention to supply and the size of your forces. I also at times really felt like I was fighting an Indian insurgency as they were coming into my frontiers and torching settlements. I started torching Indian villages just to stop raids. I also played AGEOD's Thirty Years war which is a very bland title. It is missing alot of the stuff that made older AGEOD games great. The music is just generic battle music and the map looks like crap. It playes out a glacial pace. Also it just feels unfinished as it is the work of one man and I believe it was rushed out the door for the holidays.

SSG's Decisive Battles Korsun Pocket - I played this one after it was recommended by many podcasts as one of the best computer wargames ever made. Unfortunately I had alot of graphics glitches which made this one unplayable. This game has a really bizzare soundtrack it almost sounds like something from a sci-fi game. It has strange voice effects that sounded like megatron singing. Maybe some day I can get it working but I just didn't have the patience to tinker with it.

War Plan Orange - This game is based on Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific engine. It's a hypothetical war between the US and Japan in the 1920's. The star of this game is the Battleship as it's your main offensive weapon. Airplanes are in the game but they have very short range. This game requires major patience. Sometimes you can play entire months with little to no action. You have to use naval forces for scouting which can be tedious. The land war model in this absolutely sucks. There are many factors involved in the combat such as HQ support and supply but ultimately it's the guy with the most forces that wins the battle. You have to handle all the supply in this game so that involves sending every individual tanker and ship everywhere to keep your fleet and armies supplied. A very slow game with little reward. I am playing it by Email and it will probably be another year real time before we are finished.

Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm - This game is a hypothetical WWIII scenario in Germany NATO vs Warsaw Pact. I found this to be the freshest War game I played this year. Combat is fast and deadly. You don't move every single unit. You issue orders and hope that your units will follow your orders. I think the game is just fun to play. I usually play NATO and just pray that my forces can stop the Red Hordes from overrunning my units. The AI in this game is outstanding. I find that I keep coming back to this title as you can play a scenario in an evening and it is quite enjoyable.

Campaign Series Middle East - This really plays out like the Tiller games mentioned above but is much smaller in scope. It is actually based on the John Tiller Divided Ground game released by Talon Soft a long time ago. It covers alot of Different wars in the Middle East. There are some pretty obscure conflicts in this such as the Egyptian intervention in Yemen in the 60's. Also they have some scenario's from the French Algerian war. The bulk of the scenario's though cover the various Israeli Arab wars especially Six Day War '67 and the Yom Kippur War '73. I found this title to be very enjoyable. Action is fast and deadly in alot of the scenario's. One of the best titles I have played this year. Now this game is based on the Tiller engine but the programmers have added a bunch of things that make it play faster with less clicking then your typical Tiller Game. I can click on a hex and my unit will move there pretty straight and very quick. Where is in the Tiller PZC games if you try that the pathfinding is horrible and they won't take the ideal route.

John Tiller's Squad Battles - I played a few of these titles this year Tour of Duty, Dien Bien Phu, and Winter War. Squad battles plays out like Advanced Squad Leader. I felt like all the titles played out the same way. So basically you get some flavor from playing in different settings but that's about it. The gameplay is very clunky like the Tiller Games mentioned above and can be very tedious. I quickly grew bored with the Series.

Vietnam '65 - This game takes place on a small map in Vietnam that is randomly generated every time you play. The graphics are terrible IPAD game quality 3d units. So basically you play as the US Army hunting the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese Regulars in the jungles of Vietnam. Despite the look of this game it's a good lesson in counter insurgency warfare. As you search the jungles for guerillas and ultimately attempt to destroy them with superior firepower. The Viet Cong will melt away into the Jungles before your slow moving US Army units can catch them alot of the time. You can get a feel for the frustrations faced by US commanders fighting in the terrible terrain of Vietnam. This game is fun for a few playthroughs but gets repetitive after that despite the random terrain generator.

So overall out of all the games I suffered played through this year these are the ones I thought were the best:

1. Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm

2. Campaign Series Middle East

3. AGEOD's Wars in America

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
Ive stuck with wargames this year as well.

WITE was good but the time one must put in for it is exhausting.

War in America is the best MP for AGEOD but the most fun was playing Revolution Under Seige.

Sprinting toward Moscow with a diminishing White Army is great fun.

panzertoter

Arcane
War Plan Orange - great game, but as mentioned above, ground combat is badly designed. And there is no balance at all - when Royal Navy arrives, IJN is fucked. You really should play War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition. Ground combat is still bad, but air operations compensate it.

Last edited:
Never played War in the West, sounds good though. Will try that one out.

And I agree with Flashpoint Campaigns being the best. That game was simply a dream come true, both in terms of mechanics and setting.

Comte

War Plan Orange - great game, but as mentioned above, ground combat is badly designed. And there is no balance at all - when Royal Navy arrives, IJN is fucked. You really should play War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition. Ground combat is still bad, but air operations compensate it.

Yeah I feel as though the deeper I am getting into WPO the more unbalanced the game feels. One of the most tragic things about WPO was that there was a final patch that was going to add a lot of stuff to the game but the developer (Tankerace) allegedly lost it in a hard drive crash with no backup. He also had planned a "Twilight of the Gods" DLC for WPO that took place in the 30's but Matrix Games said no. The Patch was never released a few of us approached him about working on it again and he threw a bitch fit. Oh well maybe he will reappear like Frank Hunter did with Campaigns on the Danube and release a patch many years later but I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Wow. A pure quality wargaming thread on the codex. That's been a while. But let's not whine but contribute.

I must say that I've not been able to sink the amount of hours into gaming that I would like. And as a result the 'one more turn' syndrome inducers have been horribly neglected in the last year. Thankfully the wargaming and strategy genre itself is still churning out a steady supply of good stuff. That said, most of what I did play are older games and favourites of mine.

John Tiller has been awfully prolific. Some of his games have been pure wargaming heaven while others have bored me or seem bogged down in lame mechanics. Not to mention their low budget graphics and often archaic UI's. That said, I absolutely loved both Squad Battles: Winter War and Squad Battles: Soviet Afghan War. A good set of scenarios and campaigns and two widely different timeframes and settings helped to keep interest. However what always brings me back to John Tiller is his campaign series of games he did for Talonsoft. The lot of them have been combined and re-released by Matrix in one package. And it's great. Must buy for any wargamer.

I've loved the Combat Mission games since I got my grubby hands on Combat Mission: From Barbarosso to Berlin. The series is still going strong and while the recent games haven't been offering the insane amount of content that the very early ones did they still are excellent tactical games. I was let down by the lack of any real AI in some of the later offerings but this seems to have been largely fixed by now. Been playing a lot of both Shock Force (Syria!) and Red Thunder (Bagration) and loved it.

Alea Jacta Est by Ageod is perhaps the last of their own great wargames. Since they 'merged' with Slitherine (=Matrix) their offerings have been low budget affairs that are chock full of bugs, lack polish and miss the amazing art their earlier games had. AJE is however firmly in place as one of their great. I love the setting and the challenge of classical era strategic warfare. It's on steam with all the previous 'stand-alone' content as dlc and is pretty cheap at the moment. Highly recommended.

You like sending out couriers to convey your orders? Kind of like the Campaigns of the Danube but with a much smaller scale. Then you might enjoy the Scourge of War games. The last one if SOW: Waterloo and it's mechanics, looks and AI are very impressive. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow. A pure quality wargaming thread on the codex. That's been a while. But let's not whine but contribute.

Alea Jacta Est by Ageod is perhaps the last of their own great wargames. Since they 'merged' with Slitherine (=Matrix) their offerings have been low budget affairs that are chock full of bugs, lack polish and miss the amazing art their earlier games had. AJE is however firmly in place as one of their great. I love the setting and the challenge of classical era strategic warfare. It's on steam with all the previous 'stand-alone' content as dlc and is pretty cheap at the moment. Highly recommended.

Yep, and we had our own multiplayer thread in the codex playground: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rs-historically-accurate-aje-scenario.104363/

For AGEOD games, AJE is my favourite, followed by RUS and WiA.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Yep, and we had our own multiplayer thread in the codex playground: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rs-historically-accurate-aje-scenario.104363/

No love for the first Civil War game ? Just curious.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

No love for the first Civil War game ? Just curious.

I avoided it because I have no love for American Civil War history.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I'm pretty sure there should be a strictly enforced moratorium on any future WW2 and US Civil War games.

AGEOD's next game should absolutely be set during the Peloponnesian War. The setting would be perfect for the typical AGEOD mechanics, but they'd need a new map.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This year I played a lot of Panzer General Forever, with the huge amount of mods it's better than Panzer Corps.
I also wanted to play Order of Battle Pacific, but it's probably Panzer Corps-ish.
Ah and a little bit of Ageods TAW but that's basically still the same game as anything they made before.

panzertoter

Arcane
Order of Battle Pacific is boring, has tedious naval battles and it's interface is clunky. Not recommended. What mods did you play with PGForever? I only played base game and I couldn't beat second Poland scenario - because of AI's 7TPs spam :(

Anyway, I've got some spare time since my son is born - anyone want to play some wargames with me? War in the Pacific, War in the East, Campaign Series, Panzer Campaigns, etc - you choose.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It's true some scenarios are very unbalanced. But you can turn down the difficulty by reducing prestige points for the AI. this worked quite well for me.

Dont ask me what scenarios I played I downloaded a gigabyte or so, I could not play them all if I literally spent my whole life. The original scenarios are of course the first choice.

I just started playing Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris and this thing just blew my mind.

Is Case Blue any good? I remember there was also another game with the same engine that featured randomized maps and high modability but I can't remember it's name.

Comte

I just started playing Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris and this thing just blew my mind.

Is Case Blue any good? I remember there was also another game with the same engine that featured randomized maps and high modability but I can't remember it's name.

I have heard that Warsaw to Paris is better then Case Blue. They recently released a Barbarossa campaign as well. Honestly though I haven't tried this series but it looks intriguing. Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa added some political options such as "Do the German's honor the Geneva Convention?" Also they added in political infighting between generals and orders from the FĂĽhrer etc.

I've had AJE forever but never really took the time to get into it the way I should.

Enjoyed War in the East but I just don't have the time to devote to it any more.

I'd recommend picking up the later SSG titles in the Korsun Pocket series, like the D-Day and/or Battle of the Bulge titles. They're much more polished, although I have no idea if people still play PBEM much any more.

We all have our own favorite and least favorite eras and topics, but it's fair to say that the ACW is the most militarily dramatic and both strategically & tactically interesting war of the post-Napoleonic 19th century.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
We all have our own favorite and least favorite eras and topics, but it's fair to say that the ACW is the most militarily dramatic and both strategically & tactically interesting war of the post-Napoleonic 19th century.

Alabama hicks fighting subhuman industrialists, with a side portion of american racial demagoguery. Everything good about American history was destroyed in the revolution; it's been an utter dark age ever since, save for a little spark of fun when Washington DC burned to the ground.

Comte

Speaking of the AGEOD games I feel as though AJE was their high water mark. They have completely lost their way after that. The biggest problem is the events system in the games that basically break the engine. I can see now why Paradox abandoned the events system years ago because it makes the code too complex causes too many errors. Also the AGEOD engine is not optimized for modern machines. They have a lot of work to do. I think Wars of Napoleon and Thirty years war are absolute garbage. They both run like shit and a lot of the events are broken. I don't have the patience anymore to deal with the constant treadmill of patches they release. If they want to get to the next level they need to get serious about fixing their engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom