Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A wonderful Operation Flashpoint mod.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Command Engine allows to command whole units in Operation Flashpoint.
It's one of the most interesting wargaming experiences that I have ever had. Being there on the ground and giving commands to units without precise knowledge of what is going on is very different from playing a typical boardgame-style wargame.
Most of the time when playing it I'm actually trying to figure what the hell is going on instead of being fed with information like in most of wargames.

DraQ

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It's one of the most interesting wargaming experiences that I have ever had. Being there on the ground and giving commands to units without precise knowledge of what is going on is very different from playing a typical boardgame-style wargame.
Most of the time when playing it I'm actually trying to figure what the hell is going on instead of being fed with information like in most of wargames.
I feel someone, somewhere just triggered a tiny bit of incline.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Chain of Command mod was indeed awesome although it is old now.

It inspired "High Command" in ArmA2 which is more advanced as it lets you create chains of waypoints each having different tasks assigned to units as well as stances and behaviour (something CoC had at very limited levels)
However CoC did have a few advantages like more microcontrol over separate units unlike High Command. But this wasn't really useful as ordering an AT unit to attack a tank and ordering a squad with AT unit to attack a tank had the same effect.

With recent changes in AI High Command looks almost like stuff you see in CMSF with you just giving an order and observing units proceeding, taking cover, retreating, regrouping instead of running at each other firing like in RTS. Pretty cool.

fb97a73d2833.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Too bad ArmA2 won't run on my comp.

Do you know if there are any sites with missions for Chain of Command?

Funny thing. I just noticed that I have ten times less posts in the Strategy Gaming section than in GRPGD despite that I spend about 20 times more time playing wargames than playing cRPGs O_o .

DraQ said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I feel someone, somewhere just triggered a tiny bit of incline.
Operation Flashpoint itself brought a massive incline when it comes to military-themed shooters. While it wasn't a really good flight sim or a tank sim, putting all that stuff together in one package and infantry combat is fucking awesome. I'm glad that games like it are continued to make. And the mod could be done because the authors of the game made it so highly moddable. At least some high-budget games in the past decade actually managed to bring incline...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes ofp.gamepark.cz should have some CoC missions <- that's also your ultimate resource for OFP mods
Then also try OFPEC (google it) - it may still have some OFP missions...

But the best way is to ask on BIS forums as many missions survive only on people's hdds as OFP is a decade old game now and many web-sites are not around anymore.

@Garfunkel: AI squads.
But it probably works in MP too (like human squads will get a waypoint on screen or something)

It isn't hard to make a mission with CoC in AA2 - probably the same is true for OFP's CoC

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Awor Szurkrarz said:
They are all yours
A mechanized company, 3 assault platoons a weapons platoon plus support
Really? Can the engine support hundreds of controllable NPC's on-screen/in-game at any one time?
This must be, like, 300 soldiers.

New groups may be created as required (Please note the current version of Operation Flashpoint allows a maximum of 64 groups of up to 12 soldiers each on each side or maximum of 798 soldiers per side )
Ah,
Well, 1600 soldiers in-game at any one time, as a maximum, is still pretty impressive.

Haba said:
Nightmare inducing stuff.
?

Von Paulus

Educated
This is with ARMA II:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KK6Fo3Y0AU

With OFP never had the chance to engage or seen a video demonstrating that. But I remember one of the sp missions that come with the game had also large number of AI. Never played that mission much I didn't had enough CPU for that at the time.

MetalCraze

Arcane
poocolator said:
Ah,
Well, 1600 soldiers in-game at any one time, as a maximum, is still pretty impressive.
No CPU will handle those in OFP because it supports only a single core.
AA2 supports up to 8 cores however.

Haba said:
Nightmare inducing stuff.
Reading topographic map is quite easy once you understand what markers depict if that's what you mean. But ACE mod even adds rulers to make it even more realistic. It may seem complicated at first of course.

However controlling units there is simple. In command mode (ctrl+space) you have your units marked with symbols and then you have enemy squads marked with symbols (but your units need to have direct eye contact with them for them to be shown). Then you just play it like strategy. Click or drag-select a unit or several of them - click on enemy to attack, click anywhere else to set a waypoint, right click on a waypoint to enter advanced commands.

And you can do most of that in first person too.

panzertoter

Arcane
What are the best OFP mods to play in campaign mode? I tried FFUR-SLX 2007 2.5, but it changed the stuff from 1985 to something modern (uniforms, guns etc.).

ricolikesrice

Arcane
hey skyway/ARMA 2 fanatics, i know there s a warhamer 40k mod for Operation Flashpoint, is one planned for ARMA 2 as well ? or any other walfway decent mod/tc that brings OFP/ARMA gameplay into a "non-modern-warfare" setting that you can recommend and isnt just a feature list but actually promising ?

i really loved Operation Flashpoint back in the day - we played it over and over during my times in the army - heck thinking about it its probably my second most played game after MoM .... but nowadays i m simply burned out on the whole "modern warfare" setting, no matter how good Arma II might be at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom