Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview A Wight By Any Other Name....

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Well, if you miss the Bethesda folks so badly, go onto their forums, where they will happily lie to you on a regular basis. If devs want to talk about game design and not hype or make excuses, then that is one thing. If they want to bullshit around, they generally get torn apart.

Wait, was Davis bullshitting around when he shared a bit about the Alien RPG? No, he wasn't. But that didn't stop you dipshits from spitting as much bile as you could at the guy.

I'm sure he can deal with it but it was a pathetic display. Please, don't try to make out that the Codex is "reasonable so long as devs are honest". Reasonable is so far from what the majority of the Codex posters are as to be laughable.

Rosh

Erudite
Naked Ninja said:
Wait, was Davis bullshitting around when he shared a bit about the Alien RPG? No, he wasn't. But that didn't stop you dipshits from spitting as much bile as you could at the guy.

Cry me a fucking river.

I'm sure he can deal with it but it was a pathetic display. Please, don't try to make out that the Codex is "reasonable so long as devs are honest". Reasonable is so far from what the majority of the Codex posters are as to be laughable.

As pertaining to the setting...ah, hell, you obviously didn't pay attention the first time you skimmed over it. I love it when the kids think they have to kiss ass. What, you were hoping a current CRPG developer/publisher would pick up your title?

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
What, you were hoping a current CRPG developer/publisher would pick up your title?

That the best shot you got fellow?

I love it when the kids think they have to kiss ass.

It takes a really immature human being to confuse basic courtesy with "kissing ass". Sadly, you are hardly the only such person here.

Elzair

Cipher
No.

Spacemoose said:
Every child knows that an abomination is a creature created when a demon possesses a mage

An abomination is what happens when Bioware makes an RPG with its own IP.

Rosh

Erudite
Naked Ninja said:
That the best shot you got fellow?

You got anything better than "WAAAH! DEVELOPERS DON'T POST HERE BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THEIR BULLSHIT!"?

It takes a really immature human being to confuse basic courtesy with "kissing ass". Sadly, you are hardly the only such person here.

Unfortunately, when a developer preaches high ideals, and then delivers the same mass market shit they've been chasing as well as go for sniffing BioWare's ass, they hardly deserve much respect. I also had reasons as to why I dug at the design terminology, which I mentioned, but don't let that stop you.

circ

Arcane
Naked Ninja said:
I can't speak for others, but indie developers do post here. Just like the mainstream posters.

Just like the mainstream posters? Oh my, that is amusing. Cause you guys have managed to drive most of those off. You have a few newer developers like Anthony and Markland but I wander how long it will take before they get tired of fending the onslaught and leave, like the others did?

Being repeatedly verbally gang-raped by a bunch of emotionally stunted kids has to lose it's luster over time. :roll:
Everyone gets verbally gang-raped one time or another. Some might simply be too busy, where as others are bound by company rules, namely that they can't associate themselves with any party that doesn't agree with the company's agenda. That might be anything from associating with the competition, to discussing anything with someone who doesn't agree with everything the company does.

And before you say that's bull, don't make me make calls to scan said papers or ask people for quotes, because I'm not going to; when you're just going to say mere critique is driving them off. People have thicker skin than that.

Rosh

Erudite
circ said:
And before you say that's bull, don't make me make calls to scan said papers or ask people for quotes, because I'm not going to; when you're just going to say mere critique is driving them off. People have thicker skin than that.

People tend to conveniently forget that developers chose to come here, already knowing the atmosphere and demanding standards. Either that, or they're just idiots.

BearBomber

Scholar
thesheeep said:
BearBomber said:
Game with no marketing will not sell good on the mass market no matter what setting it has.

In general, yeah, but there are some exceptions. I just guess that games like FIFA, NBA, etc. are not that heavy on the marketing side, but I may be wrong here, since I don't really care about such games ;)

Fifa had some advertisment in Polish TV iircm, and I haven't seen any other game add besides SIMS. Sport games like peegle also have huge casual crowd of fans. If I meet someone who don't know anything about games he usualy knows GTA, Fifa and Sims.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
How's that tinfoil hat working out circ?

Of course they can associate with people who don't agree with them, you think their own forums don't have criticism? It's how it's delivered. Reasonable and contructive vs spiteful, foaming frenzy. Guess which end of the scale you're sitting on?

Nice sig btw. "powerful reason spells" eh? My, we are convinced of our own cleverness, aren't we?

People tend to conveniently forget that developers chose to come here, already knowing the atmosphere and demanding standards. Either that, or they're just idiots.

No, they used to come here before it became Skywayville. Now most of them have stopped and I'd say it's only a matter of time for the few who remain, the signal to noise ratio here continues to grow.

Rosh

Erudite
Naked Ninja said:
No, they used to come here.

And might be prevented from coming here due to company policy. Just like the TES kiddies.

Now most of them have stopped and I'd say it's only a matter of time for the few who remain, the signal to noise ratio here continues to grow.

A pity that the ones who should be posting here aren't because of too many BioWhores and Bethtards 4channing it up, while most of the ones who have posted here in the past were little more than PR extensions.

circ

Arcane
Naked Ninja said:
How's that tinfoil hat working out circ?

Of course they can associate with people who don't agree with them, you think their own forums don't have criticism? It's how it's delivered. Reasonable and contructive vs spiteful, foaming frenzy. Guess which end of the scale you're sitting on?
Yeah I'm sorry, last time I went by BioWare's ME forum to look up any critique of it, because I wanted to see how the rest of the public was handling it, I saw a few threads saying how tiresome the mineral missions were. Then it was praised as if it were a giant cone of icecream. Anything even remotely more critical had been locked or the user banned or warned (after the fanboys got through with their comments).

Nice sig btw. "powerful reason spells" eh? My, we are convinced of our own cleverness, aren't we?
Here you go: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_ ... _Oblivious
Don't try too hard being a smug little cock.

Alex

Arcane
Roshambo, Naked Ninja, your argument is reminding me from an excerpt from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, which went more or less like this:

(...snip)
"You can lump that hat if you don't like it. I dare you to knock it off -- and anybody that'll take a dare will suck eggs."

"You're a liar!"

"You're another."

"You're a fighting liar and dasn't take it up."

"Aw -- take a walk!"

"Say -- if you give me much more of your sass I'll take and bounce a rock off'n your head."

"Oh, of course you will."

"Well I will."

"Well why don't you do it then? What do you keep saying you will for? Why don't you do it? It's because you're afraid."

"I ain't afraid."

"You are."

"I ain't."

"You are."
(snip...)

By that, I don't mean to call either of you childish, but to show you how this argument is not going anywhere. If you want to discuss how games nowadays are less imaginative, or how Bioware's game won't be anything other than cliché, or something like that, start providing examples and logic, instead of getting nowhere like this.

For example, suppose I am going to start arguing that Ultima 4 had some very original features. First, I might mention how CRPGs of that time were mostly focusing on gameplay elements, having little or no narrative element. Then I could mention that, while other games (like Infocom's adventures) were focusing on narrative, they used the narrative as a puzzle to provide the only gameplay (which is very different from the usual CRPG gameplay).

Ultima IV instead managed to link many of acts of the player to the narrative of becoming an avatar. Then I might go deeper into the topic of hw the story was told, how it was fragmented and how some fragmentes allowed you to make some choices that would drive the narrative, etc. Then I probably would defend the apparent simplicity of these choices and story, and the fact that the story has only one possible ending, by showing how other games simply hadn't been able to do what Ultima IV did on both fronts.

I think that this is a much better way of arguing because, even if the other party is deaf to your arguments, at least you will have a better idea about what you are disagreeing about. Also, I frequently end up learning something new when I try to write objectively about something.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Rosh said:
skyway said:
Blizzard has created 3 different IPs from scratch

ahahahha

Sorry, but I gotta agree. Originally, they were rip-offs.

Warcraft: High fantasy that started off a bit generic, but later was developed into a somewhat interesting backstory, retcon after retcon after retcon.
StarCraft: Warhammer 40k rip-off.
Diablo: Graphical Rogue-like...in HELL!
I didn't say that they were highly original. However, Blizzard did manage to craft interesting worlds and succeeded where many others have failed so miserably. How many graphical rogue-likes in general and Diablo clones in particular there were over the years? How many have become successful or even recognizable IPs?

Even Starcraft... Choosing between a Starcraft game and WH40k game, I'll pick Starcraft. Why? Quality, attention to details, and less retarded. I like Warhammer, but the setting suffers greatly from the "let's shove everything we can think of in there" syndrome. Hopefully, you'll agree that it's rare when a rip-off surpasses the original (talking about the settings here).

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Even Starcraft... Choosing between a Starcraft game and WH40k game, I'll pick Starcraft. Why? Quality, attention to details, and less retarded. I like Warhammer, but the setting suffers greatly from the "let's shove everything we can think of in there" syndrome. Hopefully, you'll agree that it's rare when a rip-off surpasses the original (talking about the settings here).

How well do you know warhammer 40k? Quite frankly, it's leagues beyond Starcraft, and I loved Starcraft, only coming later to Warhammer. The superstitious medieval inquisition in space who is only marginally better than the threats they fight and hasn't really got any understanding of their own technology? Lovely, lovely concept. Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

As for the kitchen sink : huh? They have sci-fi translations of standard fantasy races. Hardly the kitchen sink.

SC is merely a very polished version of standard sci-fi with colonial humans, xeno-morphs and psychic, advanced aliens. Creative, it isn't.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dark Matter said:
How is Starcraft a rip-off of WH40K?

Space marines, biomechanoid swarm of hivemind-controlled aliens that consume whole worlds and a mysterious race of spiritual aliens, for example?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Anything even remotely more critical had been locked or the user banned or warned"

Flat out lie.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:
Dark Matter said:
How is Starcraft a rip-off of WH40K?

Space marines, biomechanoid swarm of hivemind-controlled aliens that consume whole worlds and a mysterious race of spiritual aliens, for example?
Yeah, because such things were unheard of before WH40K came along. :roll:

Besides, the terran, zerg, and protoss are all much cooler than their WH40K counterparts. Redneck space marines > all.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dark Matter said:
Yeah, because such things were unheard of before WH40K came along. :roll:

Even the guys from Blizzard admitted a few times that W40K was a huge inspiration when they made Starcraft, iirc.

Besides, the terran, zerg, and protoss are all much cooler than their WH40K counterparts. Redneck space marines > all.

:hahano:

Dark Matter

Prophet
Also, compare the actual games. Starcraft rapes Dawn of War in every orifice. The voice acting for the terran characters and units was awesome and full of style and personality, compared to the generic shit found in Dawn of War.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Also, compare the actual games. Starcraft rapes Dawn of War in every orifice. The voice acting for the terran characters and units was awesome and full of style and personality, compared to the generic shit found in Dawn of War.

Lol, what? The ork VO alone trumps SC.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dark Matter said:

:hahano:

Rosh

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I didn't say that they were highly original. However, Blizzard did manage to craft interesting worlds and succeeded where many others have failed so miserably. How many graphical rogue-likes in general and Diablo clones in particular there were over the years? How many have become successful or even recognizable IPs?

Very few, agreed. Diablo 1 was well done, and I often like it better than the sequel.

I dunno, gotta disagree there. The armor assembly trailer for StarCraft II was just missing three tech priests hovering around. StarCraft, to me, was a bit of a decent setting.

I like it, certainly, but I'm also a fan of tons of lore. I have read a lot of the books. WH40k has tons of lore, to the point of excess, true. You have the different strata of technology and mankind, from the Space Marines to the Imperial Guard, to the psykers, and more. That arises mainly due to the tabletop game it is based upon, from micro skirmishes to unbelievably large scale battlefields. It was also in the flavor of technology in decay that I'm also fond of. It is quite likely because of the above reasons why I like the setting over StarCraft.

But that's the fun of the RPGCodex, everyone has their own opinion and shares it freely.

And for those who wonder why we're critical missed some gems from when the site was started. The Codex has always been critical.

About Dawn of War: That sucked out loud so badly, the Emperor should just reach out of the golden throne and bitchslap whomever made it.

ds77

Novice
Naked Ninja said:
I can't speak for others, but indie developers do post here. Just like the mainstream posters.

Just like the mainstream posters? Oh my, that is amusing. Cause you guys have managed to drive most of those off. You have a few newer developers like Anthony and Markland but I wander how long it will take before they get tired of fending the onslaught and leave, like the others did?

Being repeatedly verbally gang-raped by a bunch of emotionally stunted kids has to lose it's luster over time. :roll:

Wow, I can see this now! You guys are brutal around here :) Old school hard core gamers who Im not even remotely sure will ever be satisfied until Hell freezes over. Even then, Hell freezing over might not be original enough for you. Its already been done. darn.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Naked Ninja said:

Lol, what? The ork VO alone trumps SC.
You're a fucking moron.

Compare the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwKxO5rBwVo

VS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnGXL5kFUwc&feature=related

Cue generic epik music
'Hold the line! In the name of the emperor, you will not falter!'
'We caan't hold! Run for you lives!'
'Cowards.'
'You will fight or you will die.'

Man, this shit is lame even if you ignore the shitty VO.

Compare that with Starcraft with the badass Terran music and the awesome VO of Raynor and Mengsk.

Please stop embarassing yourselves. Go back and play with your warhammer figurines. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom