Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A shitload of Solium Infernum previews.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The guy that made the awesome Armageddon Empires has been toiling away at creating another computer board game called Solium Infernum. In it you wage war against other Dukes of Hell in an effort to become the Prince of Hell since old Beelze seems to have vanished. It's going to be out in a week or so and it seems the internet is flooded with previews. Enjoy!

http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/11/soli ... _greed.php

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2009 ... notes.html

http://www.cyberstratege.com/magazine/2 ... -infernum/

A little interview thrown in for good measure.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?ar ... f=0&id=410

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm looking forward to it. Played Arma Empires but didn't really enjoy them, this looks much better. And role playing a duke of hell sounds awesome. I hope that AI won't suck as much in this one...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Sorry, the AI sure as hell didn't suck. It pretty much did everything it could to ruin your day. I still fondly recall one game in which the AI ruthlessly decimated my leaders with several assasins. It constantly juggled several goals which it wanted to achieve. Sometimes winning, sometimes losing. I really liked it.

I’d like to tell you that I intentionally programmed into the AI for Armageddon Empires all the boneheaded moves that you might occasionally witness. As I’ve explained before the role of hidden information plays a large part. And to be honest the limits of the AI play a large role as well. When it comes right down to it the AI is just a collection of competing goals. There are over a 180 goals covering everything from building resource collectors to evacuating heroes when somebody like Nod is on the loose. Which goals are selected and what priority they are given determines how the AI will play.

http://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/?cat=7

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Trash said:
Sorry, the AI sure as hell didn't suck. It pretty much did everything it could to ruin your day. I still fondly recall one game in which the AI ruthlessly decimated my leaders with several assasins. It constantly juggled several goals which it wanted to achieve. Sometimes winning, sometimes losing. I really liked it.

I’d like to tell you that I intentionally programmed into the AI for Armageddon Empires all the boneheaded moves that you might occasionally witness. As I’ve explained before the role of hidden information plays a large part. And to be honest the limits of the AI play a large role as well. When it comes right down to it the AI is just a collection of competing goals. There are over a 180 goals covering everything from building resource collectors to evacuating heroes when somebody like Nod is on the loose. Which goals are selected and what priority they are given determines how the AI will play.

http://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/?cat=7
Hmm maybe I haven't played it that much. Just one game actually and I felt unchallenged. Maybe if I could get into the setting... Still for a new player to easily win the first game?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Also depends on luck in AE. You get a stack of cards which can rule or suck. You can have little to no resources or a huge pile near your base. You can lucky dicerolls or be faced with horrid 1's all across the board. Fun thing is that the AI is faced with the same things. I've played it a lot and some games you just steamroll over everything and others you're creamed no matter what. Getting your homebase nuked within three turns because a machine scout found my base and the machines stumbled across a nuke comes to mind.

What the game does portray perfectly is that your strength and supplies are constantly in decline. It gives the game an edge and a feeling of desperation that no other ever did and fits perfectly with the games story and background.

getter77

Augur
Previews certianly give off an excellent vibe. I wonder what direction he'd go with expansion wise if the game sells well this time around...after uniting Hell a war on Heaven?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Dunno, perhaps he brings Satan himself back? Though bringing about the end times and having Heaven and Hell fight it out would be awesome. From one of his blog posts I gather that you can apparantly storm the gates of heaven in SI as well for some awesome victory points.

protobob

Liturgist
been looking forward to this...i also love the art style. I love the map/board/playfield/whatever-- it's hot.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I'm already looking forward to Solium Infernum avatars:

balphegor500.jpg

Black Cat

Magister
One of the screenshots mentions Decarabia, so this is either going to be amazing or, like, amazingly retarded. It is somewhat foolish to try and combine the demons from the Ars Goetia and the Pseudomonarchia with Roman titles like Praetor, but i'll keep an open mind until after i torr... errr... demo it.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Umm, he will have an actual demo with it.

No excuse this time, faggots.

Seboss

Liturgist
No doubt this game will become one of my favourite, but the fixed 1024x768 resolution is going to be hard on the eyes.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I am planning at this point to have Solium Infernum available for a demo and purchase on Wednesday. I can’t tell you exactly when on Wednesday at this point but it looks like I should have the manual done and all the files including the demo uploaded by then…as well as the website updated that day.

The price will be $29.99 for the download and its associated serial key.

The demo will offer you single player or hot seat games on a single map type with a 25 turn limit and about half of the legions, relics, artifacts and praetors contained in full game.

On Thursday I’m going to take a very long nap :)

Mor

Novice
He's doing another game? And it has publicity? :D
Fucking great. Armageddon Empires was so good I expected him to go on welfare or something...

Multi-headed Cow

I'm still pissed he hasn't released AE and isn't planning on releasing this on Steam, because I want them badly but I don't think I can play games outside of Steam any more. Gabe Newell would be disappointed with me.

Though since he isn't going to, I at least hope he'll do a bundle deal. Maybe both games for $40-50 or something.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Game is out-- demo is up.

Also you can buy both games for $53.95. So, 10% off a two-fer.

Downloading my copy now...

Multi-headed Cow

Ungh. UNGH. TEMPTED. Though non-Steam, fuuuuuuuck. This is going to require furious thought.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
OK so I played the demo. Was quite fun BUT seems very hard to provoke any opponent. I had only one legion and still the most powerful (prestigious) accepted all my demands and insults. Astaroth you are my bitch huh.
Also 2 actions per turn is not enough, especially considering how long it takes for turns to change. That is my major complaint: long map generation and slow turns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom