Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News A Quest That Became Legend Released

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
How is it possible to make impressive 3D graphics for an indie (and passable portraits) and such an ugly UI at the same time?

And that name is almost "Black Geyser"-tier in its clunkiness. "That Became" is certainly new, but Quest and Legend is as generic as it gets.

I'm not normally someone who cares about this sort of thing, but the lighting is really bad. Somehow everything is backlit so that the side facing the player is drown in shadow. Gives a whole new meaning to the genre of blobber.

Shin

Cipher
How is it possible to make impressive 3D graphics for an indie (and passable portraits) and such an ugly UI at the same time?
I'm guessing because it's easy to get some models/textures for whatever engine he's uising (probably UE) but making a UI is a lot of custom work. But yeah, it definitely fucks up the presentation.

The name has potential though. The sequel could be "A Legend That Became a Quest", the one after that "The Myth That Became a Legend", "The History That Became a Legend" and once he's fishing for the mainstream audience it'll be "The Man Who Became a Woman" or some such nonsense.

That generic "epic" theme... I still hope that some day, someone will use a shittyflute cover of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" for the trailer instead of the usual bland shit.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
this crap is not even step-based
Which is exactly why I'm interested in it.

We need more M&M 6-9, Wiz 8, W&W style gridless blobbers.
no we don't need them we stepped over their corpses and the resurgence of step-based blobbers speaks volumes of what's actually playable
Grids are super cool for travelling and backtracking especially super fast and such, I prefer grids, but Might & Magic 6-7-8 are the ultimate chessing games with so many different cool ways to cheese and looking for secrets and secret places in a seamless environment is cool too once in a while.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
this crap is not even step-based
Which is exactly why I'm interested in it.

We need more M&M 6-9, Wiz 8, W&W style gridless blobbers.
no we don't need them we stepped over their corpses and the resurgence of step-based blobbers speaks volumes of what's actually playable
Grids are super cool for travelling and backtracking especially super fast and such, I prefer grids, but Might & Magic 6-7-8 are the ultimate chessing games with so many different cool ways to cheese and looking for secrets and secret places in a seamless environment is cool too once in a while.
someone old enough to have enjoyed m&m6 is also old enough to have dementia now and thus can't recall where did those secrets lie
feel free to replay the game instead of imposing decline on a nigga

Casual Hero

Augur
That UI :(

I think that if someone wants to make a new M&M 6 style game, they should do what Call of Saregaerar is doing and make it look all retro-y.

Or make a modern UI that looks good and fresh.

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, played it for 30 misn now, found village and walked around fighting goblins in the woods (very thick woods i must say) and found their nest, got ass raped in caves though so i guess i must walk around some more. not much (at all) to loot in village, even though houses are wide open, no wandering npc's, everyone just stands there 24/7, which isnt much of a problem for an old RPG dog like me but ive been spoiled i guess by games like Daggerfall and MM6-9 with some small signs of life here and there. Otherwise easy to learn and easy to use spells/combat.

MalcolmR

Literate

Had the same thought
You can buy 3D assets and character portraits at the Unreal shoppe. Actual UI? Not so much. Easy as that.
It's a bit more complicated than that. Both the Unity Asset Store and the Unreal Engine Marketplace have tons of professional-looking UI assets that are reasonably priced. I own quite a few of them and I often recognize them in other games. The problem is that it requires a certain level of skill, artistic sense, and a player-centered mindset to implement them correctly.

UI is not as simple as a pre-made modular environment or an enemy model that you drag and drop into a level (although even that requires skill with lighting and post-processing). With UI, the graphics for the panels, buttons, text and icons are only one small part, and it's the scale, positioning, alignment and animations that determine whether the UI will feel smooth/responsive in-game or feel clunky and low-quality. Unfortunately, this kind of judgment/expertise can't be bought on the Asset Store.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom