Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
On the one hand the studio has a proven track record of competence - HR, MD and now Guardians of the Galaxy were all good games, or at least as good as modern AAA goyslop can get, and you don't keep releasing fun titles by mistake.

On the other hand MD already had a few warning signs of political agenda creeping in, and there's no telling how many people that worked on HR and MD are still left at the studio.

I'm not particularly worried about retarded monetization schemes because, far as I know, that was all on Square Enix trying to make back the money they burned on the Final Fantasy XIII and XV.

If a new game is indeed in development, and the people responsible for the gameplay of Mankind Divided are still working there, I certainly wouldn't mind playing the conclusion to Jensen's story. Whether they inject terminal quantities of pozz into the narrative is what I'm actually worried about.

Ultimately, even with the surge of indie immersive sims, there's never enough of them to go around, so a new big budget title in the genre is more than welcome.

The recent Deus Ex games (HR and MD) have been VERY overrated here at the Codex. They are not really particularly good games. It's not that they are worse than Deus Ex, it's that they are just not very good in general. I was shocked by how much better the world and the writing was in CP2077 compared to those 2 games. MD was putting me to sleep, they distilled the entire future world to naturals vs augmented, which wasn't only reminiscent of modern day identity politics, but just boring as all fuck.

And gameplay... combat sucked, stealth was meh (too much crawling through vents and seeing through walls).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Perhaps Eidos Montreal can take aesthetic inspiration from Cyberpunk 2077:

tpujt4.jpg

grimace

Arcane
Embracer Group Shuts Down Montreal Video Game Studio
Onoma, the maker of Hitman Go, will close up shop.

ByJason Schreier
November 1, 2022, 6:20 PM UTC

Video game publisher Embracer Group AB is shutting down Onoma, a Montreal, Canada-based video game studio that it acquired just months ago, according to people familiar with the situation.

The company informed employees Tuesday that some staff would be transferred to a sister studio, Eidos Montreal, said the people, who asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Onoma, formerly known as Square Enix Montreal, was best known for creating the Go series of mobile games such as Hitman Go. Embracer didn’t immediately have a comment.

The shutdown is unusual because of the timing. Onoma, previously known as Square Enix Montreal, was purchased in May and on Oct. 10 announced a new name and branding.

Sweden-based Embracer has been on a video game industry shopping spree, buying companies both big and small over the past few years. Onoma was part of a large acquisition earlier this year, alongside Eidos Montreal, San Francisco-based Crystal Dynamics and a handful of franchises including Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

The move appears to be part of a larger cost-cutting initiative. Eidos Montreal has reduced the scope of one unannounced project and will cancel another one, the people said. The company also plans to work with Microsoft Corp. to help develop some games, including one in the Fable franchise led by UK-based Playground Games.

Jason Schreier
@jasonschreier

NEWS: Embracer has shut down Onoma, formerly Square Enix Montreal, which announced its new name just 3 weeks ago.

Also:
- Some Onoma staff will move to Eidos Montreal
- Eidos canceled an unannounced game
- Eidos working with Xbox on games like Fable

Scoop:

Onoma was part of the acquisition that saw Embracer take control of Eidos and the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Legacy of Kain franchises. The company informed staff at a 2pm ET meeting today that Onoma is shutting down as the company pivots to focus only on PC and console

Eidos Montreal, which remains intact, canceled the Stranger Things-inspired "kids on bikes" game that was rumored recently.

They're now working on:
1) A new IP (recently rescoped)
2) A new Deus Ex (very very early)
3) co-dev partnerships with Xbox including Fable

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I've never found Deus ex interesting from a gameplay and a story perspective, so it can only improve. Waiting for a cursor to aim properly isn't fun.
ha someone played it wrong. Put enough skill points into it or use the red dot mod and you don't have to. Red dot is technically cheating though hence why its fixed in GMDX.
I'll be interested to see what a THQ Deus Ex ends up like.
I hope they continue MD instead of remaking deus ex 1.
I seriously doubt anyone will attempt the remake. We've already proven how hard it would be to do these days. Deus Ex is a big game, bigger than most games. To think it was planned to be even bigger.

grimace

Arcane
Theory:

This news leak was made to help decide what the studio will focus on:

• A new IP (recently rescoped)
  • A new Deus Ex (very very early)

Cortex_Reaver

Novice
While it isn’t necessary, especially with GMDX/texture packs etc; it is strange that there hasn’t been an upscaled and/or modernised release of DX1, to cash in on it’s “cult” reinstall when you hear about it status, if nothing else

Then again SE treated it as a bottom of the bargain bin game for awhile, I think I got my GOG copy for $1.50
DX1 is way too redpilled for current year. The whole game consists entirely of misinformation, anti-semitism, and conspiracy theories.

deuxhero

Arcane
I actually liked the IW era preliminary plan for a Deus Ex 3 of being set during the collapse. Allows reusing the original's factions in new context, and has some threads to work with (Mead is heavily implied to be corrupt or a puppet, but never dealt with, and 2052 is an election year. Several large states are already in open defiance of the curfew mandate.).
While it isn’t necessary, especially with GMDX/texture packs etc; it is strange that there hasn’t been an upscaled and/or modernised release of DX1, to cash in on it’s “cult” reinstall when you hear about it status, if nothing else
Yes, the original game is more of a hassle than it should be to get working on modern systems, and there's some fairly serious bugs that are easily fixed (for example, the lack of music in the last Hells Kitchen trip, the guy in versalife is supposed to show up dead in the canal if you didn't kill his boss, but his ID is misspelled meaning nothing spawns, Ford Shick has some really interesting conversations in later missions but doesn't spawn properly). The only console port it ever got was shit, so that's also a thing that could be done (no idea why one would play it on console, but apparently this stuff sells).

Repressed Homosexual
I'm so tired of the game development scene in Montreal, it's a total joke. The government gives enormous tax breaks for salaries, something like 45%, which are already significantly cheaper than the rest of North America. Montreal is essentially getting abused as a source of cheap labor, while the taxpayers pay a fortune for the likes of Ubisoft to make money and give almost nothing in return. I wish every year that this policy would be rescinded. You will see all these studios who supposedly "love Montreal" leave like cockroaches when they can't get cheap labor for nothing anymore.

As for Eidos Montreal, I went in front of their offices quite a few times. It's located in the student district for McGill University. The area is full of degenerate students and potheads. Nobody can create good content in these conditions.

Sykar

Arcane
The stealth in Deus Ex 1 never impressed me much though honestly, it felt like a severely gutted version of Thief with far worse enemy AI, so the shift to a different, arguably more simplified style of stealth gameplay didn't bother me too much.
And that gutted version of thief still had deeper mechanics than the pacman stealth of nu-DX. You could even distract guards by throwing soy to them!
Well soy can be rather distracting!
c61.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
nu-deus ex games were good, stop being edgy
Combat was popamole cover-based shooter design with regenerating health, nearly every mission had level design far inferior to the glorious non-linear level design of the original, the neighborhoods were the best part of the game but even there Detroit and Hengsha were inferior to the original's New York and Hong Kong, and the plot, characterization, and lore were also lacking.

:neveraskedforthis:

Codex Year of the Donut
nu-deus ex games were good, stop being edgy
Combat was popamole cover-based shooter design with regenerating health, nearly every mission had level design far inferior to the glorious non-linear level design of the original, the neighborhoods were the best part of the game but even there Detroit and Hengsha were inferior to the original's New York and Hong Kong, and the plot, characterization, and lore were also lacking.

:neveraskedforthis:
nah

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Deus Ex is and always will be better than CyberCock 2077.
Deal with it.
I would like to see a Deus Ex game where you can play as a Majestic-12 goon or another massive corporation/organization with plans for global domination...
Be a bad guy for a while.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Deus Ex is and always will be better than CyberCock 2077.
Deal with it.
I would like to see a Deus Ex game where you can play as a Majestic-12 goon or another massive corporation/organization with plans for global domination...
Be a bad guy for a while.
OG Deus Ex where you can choose who to side with. I'd play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom