Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Mask of the Betrayer Let's Play

burrie

Scholar
Just noticed that the letsplayarchive.com has added a very elaborate Mask of the Betrayer playthrough to their database. May be worth a read through if you aren't planning on playing the game or want to reread what the fuss was all about.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/MotB/

The author also did a pretty verbose "Let's play" for Neverwinter Nights 2

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/NWN2/

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I was a bit dissapointed by the ending. Given the build up, you should've been allowed to

bring down the wall of the faithless as wosshername the cleric wanted.

So far as I'm aware, it's something to do wth the WOTC license not allowing them to make a game that in any way alters the timeline of the IP without express permission. It still seems stupid though, given that in 4E released shortly after

the wall is gone anyhow.

MotB would've been a nice way to establish how it happened. Ah well, a lost oppertunity.

Deleted member 7219

Particularly as WotC/Atari, whatever, have said NWN games are not canon.

DriacKin

Arbiter
It's pretty clear they had more freedom with the evil ending - which was as good of an ending as I've ever seen in a story-driven video game.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Ulminati said:
I was a bit dissapointed by the ending. Given the build up, you should've been allowed to

bring down the wall of the faithless as wosshername the cleric wanted.

So far as I'm aware, it's something to do wth the WOTC license not allowing them to make a game that in any way alters the timeline of the IP without express permission. It still seems stupid though, given that in 4E released shortly after

the wall is gone anyhow.

MotB would've been a nice way to establish how it happened. Ah well, a lost oppertunity.

I actually thought of that myself. Seemed a bit odd, but oh well.

It's not even like it was a bad plot point that you can't do it, it's just the way it played out; it wasn't so much a "there will always be powers greater than you" kind of thing, it was just a sudden cockblock with no buildup and no real satisfying resolution. Even if you could have chosen to make a suicidal attempt anyway, it might've been somewhat satisfying. And I find it hard to believe that nobody, in centuries of planning, anticipated the fucking god of the very city you're attacking to pop up and lay the smack down. I fucking expected it to happen.

Ah well. Still a good game. Ought to replay it with an evil character sometime.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Evil path is better and makes more sense in MotB than a good one... and One of manz is superior to any other NPC you can join! (okay, Khaelyn is awesome too).

And dialogues between One of Many, player and Khaelyn, when One of Many makes player mock Khaelyn or make her blind fanatic... <3 Damn, that's one of the few games where I felt being evil is better than being good (others are ToEE and Fallout ofc)

Can't say the same about original NWN2 evil path, where being evil is being psychopatic murderer, like in Bioware games.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Bioware games are not so much about the choice between "good" and "evil" as the difference between "dumb" and "jackass"

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well quite frankly being a psuchopath IS evil, chaotic evil kind of. Unfortunately we lack the possibility to be a lawful evil mastermind kind of guy... In MoTB too we get the classic chaotic evil lol god pwning ending.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I've always wanted a game where you can play a real "magnificent bastard" type of villain. Hell, even a manipulative, Count of Monte Cristo-esque hero; even in games that do the evil path relatively well, like MotB, you still find yourself following a breadcrumb trail and forced into thug work/ambushes/direct confrontation. It gets lampshaded often enough, with the villains lamenting that their brilliantly-laid plans were beaten by a group of meddling adventurers and possibly the good king guiding their actions.

ironyuri

Djadjamankh said:
Mask of the Turd moar liek. R00fles!

4.5/10

Turd of the Betrayer would have worked much better. It implies that the Betrayer is shitting on you in his betrayal.

:smug:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
OnePostPerDay said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Play the game instead of reading that shit.

why? the gameplay's pretty bad, too much overpowered spells and epic lootz
You know people have said the same about me? Shut the fuck up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom