Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview "A lot of faith, and a good head for risk": How two men risked their livelihoods for a new Torment

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Let's be honest: it does sound a little snarky. "I think that people are looking for a really reactive, really involved storyline that they have some control over" - I mean, Bioware thinks that's what they're creating.
If Bioware actually thinks that (or believes that they succeeded in that) then they deserve the snarkiness. It's quite obvious that there is little control over Bioware storylines, and even Bioware fanboys realized that when they bought ME3 and all the promises were for naught.

Rake

Arcane
XFSJtF4.png

This needs to be a newspiece titled "BioWare admits to making interactive movies" :troll:
They never hide it. Only some retards in BSN don't like to hear it.

Even if I don't like Dragon Age for its crappy trash-mob-level-scaling combat encounters and boring story, it certainly isn't an "interactive movie with player-controllable combat". It's more like a painfully mediocre attempt at trying to make a Baldur's Gate styled game in 3D.

I'm guessing that comment goes more towards Mass effect and Dragon Age 2.

You didn't hear? DA:O is too hardcore and niche for EA now.
Now all future EA Bioware games will have multiplayer, microtransactions, aways online, DLC instead of excpansions etc.
IF Bioware had continiued to make games on par with DA:O they would receive a lot less hate. They wouldn't be a paragon of RPGs, but neither the complete joke they have become.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's quite obvious that there is little control over Bioware storylines, and even Bioware fanboys realized that when they bought ME3 and all the promises were for naught."

There's more control of BIO stories than there was in PST1. L0LZ

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nah. I'm only butthurt b/c yur mom broke up with m e as she found iout I am a Codexer...

This issue? It's only funny.

Rake

Arcane
"It's quite obvious that there is little control over Bioware storylines, and even Bioware fanboys realized that when they bought ME3 and all the promises were for naught."

There's more control of BIO stories than there was in PST1. L0LZ
P:T had 2 completely diffirent endings. The last Bioware game that had as much was Jade Empire

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
Wizfall is partially right. Not about the butthurt, but about the communication when speaking.

I think fans don't want to hear it, but I honestly don't know if BioWare devs would consider it disrespectful at all. Their move towards interactive movies has been pretty clear, and if that's the best way to tell stories and meet their design goals as far as they're concerned, why would pointing that out be disrespectful? Their goals aren't so much about reactivity and interactivity, but there are people out there who do want that in their RPGs. Again, just facts?

Maybe that's just me doe.

I probably could have phrased it more politely: "We're developing a more personal narrative, rather than a cinematic one," for instance. But then again, there's a reason I'm a writer and not a... a professional phone-interviewee? (note: edit this word later)... it's because I can edit my words if I feel like I need to care with them. With speaking, you lose a lot of that verve and human connection, and you start to sound a lot more guarded.

I should probably work on that.

Seerix

Arbiter
It's always nice to see actual developer stating some facts instead of following some PR guidelines that must have been written by paranoid conspiracy theorist being afraid of assassins spawning out of nowhere whenever someones says something that can be turned into an insult given enough logical fallacies.

Awesome comment, even if with that unneeded "no offense" :incline:

Rake

Arcane
Wizfall is partially right. Not about the butthurt, but about the communication when speaking.

I think fans don't want to hear it, but I honestly don't know if BioWare devs would consider it disrespectful at all. Their move towards interactive movies has been pretty clear, and if that's the best way to tell stories and meet their design goals as far as they're concerned, why would pointing that out be disrespectful? Their goals aren't so much about reactivity and interactivity, but there are people out there who do want that in their RPGs. Again, just facts?

Maybe that's just me doe.

I probably could have phrased it more politely: "We're developing a more personal narrative, rather than a cinematic one," for instance. But then again, there's a reason I'm a writer and not a... a professional phone-interviewee? (note: edit this word later)... it's because I can edit my words if I feel like I need to care with them. With speaking, you lose a lot of that verve and human connection, and you start to sound a lot more guarded.

Don't worry. The only ones who were offended are some Bioware fanboys, but they will be way more offended when they realize that you won't put trannies in the game anyway.

Globbi

Augur

Nah, it's awesome. The reason why people want interviews with devs is to listen to devs, not to PR.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Don't worry. The only ones who were offended are some Bioware fanboys, but they will be way more offended when they realize that you won't put trannies in the game anyway.
WHAAAAAAAAAATTTTT?????
:mob:
This is a mortal offense for the Codex, don't they dare.:x

Androgynous nano enhanced transhumanist buttsecks is where is at.:obviously:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Don't worry. The only ones who were offended are some Bioware fanboys, but they will be way more offended when they realize that you won't put trannies in the game anyway."

I have no doubt you've played as much if not more KOTOR MMO than I have. R00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
–" A lot of current games are going for a more cinematic experience. What we’re going for is a more personal narrative. We want to make this feel like a truly epic story for the person involved. The stories in current RPGs always seem to be about saving the world, or do something important or millions of people will suffer. We wanted to tell a story that would be inward, more introspective thing that still feels like a tremendous story."

See, I don't get this sort of 'criticism' of current games. Nothingw rong with striving for a more 'personal' story as iopposed to 'over arching epic level save the world' type stories. But the replies implies that's a new phenomena. 'Save the world' stories is as old as gaming. it's not new. It's not a weakness of new games comapred to old games.

Rake

Arcane
"Don't worry. The only ones who were offended are some Bioware fanboys, but they will be way more offended when they realize that you won't put trannies in the game anyway."

I have no doubt you've played as much if not more KOTOR MMO than I have. R00fles!
The only Bioware games that i have played are BG1+2, NWN, DA:O, DA2 :smug:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"What offense? Does Bioware pretend they're doing more than interactive movies? If so, that's pretty dishonest, wouldn't trust them."

L0L But pretebnding and hyping this game as 'PST2' but than sideways claiming it isn't is honest? L0LZ

I played PST1. This is no PST2, son.

They never called it PST2... son.

But please continue the raging butthurt, it's delicious.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
–" A lot of current games are going for a more cinematic experience. What we’re going for is a more personal narrative. We want to make this feel like a truly epic story for the person involved. The stories in current RPGs always seem to be about saving the world, or do something important or millions of people will suffer. We wanted to tell a story that would be inward, more introspective thing that still feels like a tremendous story."

See, I don't get this sort of 'criticism' of current games. Nothingw rong with striving for a more 'personal' story as iopposed to 'over arching epic level save the world' type stories. But the replies implies that's a new phenomena. 'Save the world' stories is as old as gaming. it's not new. It's not a weakness of new games comapred to old games.

That must be the second time evar agree with Volorun but that's true. In fact Bioware tried to cut away from this scheme in DA2. That they attempt it was all fine, but they phailed miserably - the reason being the gameplay fucking sucked and there was too huge mismatch between storytelling and gameplay.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

See, I don't get this sort of 'criticism' of current games.
What criticism? Are you a moron? Observation = criticism?

But the replies implies that's a new phenomena.
It does not. "Current RPGs always seem to be about saving the world" does not preclude "past RPGs always seem to be about saving the world."

He could have said, accurately, that "all RPGs always seem to be about saving the world"

But...

The question was, "CoG – Are you taking any cues from more modern RPGs?"

So he had to talk about current RPGs, you fucking moron.

That they attempt it was all fine, but they phailed miserably - the reason being the gameplay fucking sucked and there was too huge mismatch between storytelling and gameplay.
Why are you a moron too?

The reason DA2 sucked was because its combat system and its encounter design was absolute shit.

Not because of some academic literary mismatch WTF.

The one conclusion I'd probably agree with you on, and Volly implies also, is that the scale or type of the plot doesn't make a game better or worse. Quality of implementation isn't dependent on high level design choice.

And finally, "We're developing a more personal narrative, rather than a cinematic one" does not really say the same thing as the original statement, that typical RPGs don't allow control over an involved storyline. A personal narrative does not inherently lend more control to the player over storyline. I think the scale of the plot - personal vs "epic" - is a separate topic from how much interactivity and control a player has over said plot.

Perhaps it's easier to write a personal storyline that is more player-managed... but I dunno, I don't see how it can't be tried with an epic narrative.

Wizfall

Cipher
I must have some communication skill issues too :)
The butthurt part was about the reaction about my comment and was not related to yours.
Moreover my comment was mostly ironical.
Like i insinuated i enjoyed both your apologize video and your lovely comment (perfect for me, unfortunately everybody is not a Codexer...).
Also i'm quite sure that i do the same kind of lovely "exaggeration" when speaking "freely" about cRPG.
Because I can't help myself but think Bioware games are "inferior", not that they are :)smug:) but because it's not the kind of games that i like.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
'So he had to talk about current RPGs, you fucking moron."

Another idiot spams nonsense thinking he is smart when he is dumb.

The implication of the reply is that it's a new phenomena when it is anything but.

"The only Bioware games that i have played are BG1+2, NWN, DA:O, DA2"

None of this disproves what i wrote. ia ccused you of playing as much if not more of KOTOR MMO as I did which is still 100% accurate even if you are telling the truth.

"They never called it PST2... son."

Lords of the Rings trilogy wans't numbered either but everyone knows it wa s atrilogy. Just because they didn't put a 2 in the titlte doesn't mean their intent is a sequel. L0L The game is called Torment. FFS The protaganist is connected to TNO 9even if they don't actually refer to TNO because of IP rights).

Again, this is them trying to pretend that it is PST2 when it is not. At least he was honest about WL2 being WL2.

Now, stop being so butthurt, and stop crying.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Now, stop being so butthurt, and stop crying.

:lol:

Indeed, Volourn, indeed. Stop crying, it's really sad. Go kiss some photos of the "doctors". It will make you feel better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom