Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A List of RPGs - A Codex Collaboration

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are now 160 games listed. Mostly thanks to BosanskiSeljak (and others) and more is coming.

I will tackle the top 101 rpgs list next.

I have a question: Should I add expansion packs, and DLC as a separate entry, or should I just link store links to them in the spoilered sections?

Mortmal

Arcane
There are now 160 games listed. Mostly thanks to BosanskiSeljak (and others) and more is coming.

I have a question: Should I add expansion packs, and DLC as a separate entry, or should I just link store links to them in the spoilered sections?
It's your free time and legacy hard to tell it for you. This thread will be up, stickied, long after your death. So,think thoroughly on what kind of legacy you wish to leave for future generations of codexers.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's your free time and legacy hard to tell it for you. This thread will be up, stickied, long after your death. So,think thoroughly on what kind of legacy you wish to leave for future generations of codexers.
It is indeed my free time, but what do people think? I'm open to hear opinions. I don't just want it to be up there and stickied, but people think it's not good.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Should I add expansion packs, and DLC as a separate entry, or should I just link store links to them in the spoilered sections?
This is what made me skip Neverwinter Nights because I didnt wanna deal with all expansions.

I think if the expansion has a placement on one of the top RPGs lists it should be separate, otherwise just linked in spoiler section.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't think there's any coherent argument for expansions or modules being listed separately. People talk about MotB as if it's separate from NWN2 only because it's markedly better than the base game content. You don't want to go down the rabbit hole of listing every single FRUA module separately.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I took all the tags currently used in the entries to make a system and divide them into sections, just to make it easier to go down a list and tag as needed for myself. Might be of some use to others:

Main Combat Mechanic: Turn-Based, RTwP, Real-Time

General Combat Mechanics: Shooter, Hack & Slash, Action, Card-Based, Party-Based, Skill Tree, Grid-Based Movement, Single Character, Stealth, Vehicle Combat, Class-Based, Classless, Custom Party, Cover Shooter, Exploration

View: Isometric, Top-Down, First Person, Third Person, Side Scroller, Overhead

Gameplay Mechanics: Factions, Pacifist Run Possible, Overworld Map, Character Selection, Puzzles, Building, Farming, Survival Mechanics, Caravan Management, Hex Grid, Interactive Battlefields, Co-op, Base Building, Action Points, Multiple Camera Modes, Crafting, Procedural Generation, Town Building, Base Management, Kingdom Management, Tactical, Strategy, Companions

Setting: (Dark/High) Fantasy, Sci-fi, Post-apocalyptic, Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Historical, Modern

Secondary Setting Tags: Vampire, Zombies, Mercenary, Military, Vikings, (Slavic/Greek/Norse/etc.) Mythology, Star Wars, Pirates, War, WW2, Space, Horror, Cosmic Horror, Lovecraftian, Dystopian, Gothic

Narrative: Story Rich, Choices Matter, Multiple Endings, Female Protagonist, Romance, Deconstruction, Short, Casual, Comedy

Pacing: Free Roam, Sandbox, Open World, Hub Worlds, Mission-Based, Linear, Non-Linear

Graphics: 2D, 3D, Hand Drawn, Anime, Monochromatic, Pixel, Voxel, Partial Nudity, NSFW

Genre: cRPG, ARPG, JRPG, Adventure RPG, Strategy RPG, Tactical RPG, (Traditional) Rogue-like

Sub-Genre: Souls-like, Blobber, Dungeon Crawler, RTS

Development: Indie, Kickstarter, Abandonware, Based on Novel, Expansions, F2P, Great Soundtrack

System: MS-DOS, Atari-ST, Mac, C64, Apple II, DOS, PC-98, OGL 3.5, Amiga

Combat Rules: 2E D&D, 3.5E D&D, Dark Eye Ruleset

Port: Y/N

Moddable: Y/N

**Etc. is implied at the end of each section. Additionally, not every section applies to every game.**

Appreciate any suggestions on renaming a section, adding a new one, or literally anything. "Gameplay" can definitely be seperated into more than one I just haven't gotten to that. I'm also struggling to see where tags such as "Great Soundtrack" can fit in. Even then it's a pretty subjective tag itself, but my criteria for it is usually having a talented, well known composer working on it (ex. the Divinity Games).

Also, Abu Antar, what's your definition for tags such as "strategy", "tactics", "choices matter", "C&C" and "story rich"? Those are the only tags I've seen that don't have a very clear definition to them when reading.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Tactical can be used in two instances (imo). For tactical rpgs, and rpgs with a "tactical" combat system, which means that it is party-based, (most often) turn-based, and moving characters on the battlefield.

Strategic has to do with if the game has a strategic layer. For instance Jagged Alliance, and X-Com.

Choices matter, and Choice and Consequence are the same, which means that we'll stick to one of these.

Story rich, I don't know. It wasn't my tag from the start, but it describes a gameplay element (imo).

There will also be little use of abbreviations. For example, aRPG, cRPG, C&C.
Vintage will likely not be in. It defeats the purpose of release year.

This list is great, and will be very helpful to people interested in contributing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Should I make a post when I add new games, or should I just keep going the way I do?

There are now 170+ games in total.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Should I make a post when I add new games, or should I just keep going the way I do?

There are now 170+ games in total.

A post for brand new releases or prestigious games and no post for older stuff?
If I add any new entry to the list, should I make a post about it?

For example, I add a new game or an old game.

Should I make a post about it, like in the Upcoming rpgs thread, where updates to the UP are posted (like a changelog, if you will).

Edit: Currently, I'm adding games without any notice.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be frank, I think a curated list of "good" RPGs would be far better than just an all ecnompassing list. Don't we have Felipepe's RPG book for that?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be frank, I think a curated list of "good" RPGs would be far better than just an all ecnompassing list. Don't we have Felipepe's RPG book for that?
The top RPGs list exists already
Yeah except half of the games on the list are complete dogshit. Just in the top fifteen we have dogshit such as Witcher 3, Morrowind, Dark Souls, FO:NV, and VTM-B above something like Underrail. Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale have been relegated to spots below the top twenty. Ridiculous.

Yeah except half of the games on the list are complete dogshit. Just in the top fifteen we have dogshit such as Witcher 3, Morrowind, Dark Souls, FO:NV, and VTM-B above something like Underrail. Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale have been relegated to spots below the top twenty. Ridiculous.
And I agree with you on most of those, but those top RPG lists have a specific purpose in being a ranking from the current Codex hivemind, nothing else. I'm sure you'd have many complaints even if Abu Antar did his own curated list. And even if it was 100% to your liking, other people would come in and make their complaints. You can always make your own and that'll give you what you want.

This list serves a specific purpose and opens up many other things to do with it (other than just being a reference) in the future. It's still very different from the cRPG book, which Felipe himself said was a problem in choosing which games to put in/leave out. Even more, this curates the important related Codex content/threads, has more information (ex. Country of Origin, full release date, etc.), and purely informative, nothing subjective about it.

Last edited:
Black Book
Released: August 10, 2021
Country of Origin: Russia
Developer: Morteshka
Publisher: HypeTrain Digital
Tags: Turn-Based, Card-Based, Companions, Puzzles, Demon Management, Third Person, Historical, Slavic Mythology, Story Rich, Choices Matter, Multiple Endings, Female Protagonist, Mission Based, Hand Drawn Portraits, Indie, Kickstarter, Great Soundtrack, Adventure RPG
#17 Codex GOTY (2021)

Disco Elysium
Released: October 15, 2019
Country of Origin: Estonia
Developer: ZA/UM
Publisher: ZA/UM
Tags: Isometric, Dice Rolls, Fantastic Realist, Story Rich, Choices Matter, Multiple Endings, Open World, Hand Drawn, Adventure RPG, Indie, Based on Novel, Moddable
#1 Codex GOTY (2019)

Some highlights of games I come across when doing research (It's amazing some of the shit that gets released, video games are fucking shit): Battle Slots RPG, Cryptozookeeper, Four Winds Fantasy, FreedroidRPG, ArcaniA: Fall of Setariff (standalone but pretty much just a short expansion), King Arthur: Fallen Champions (Same as ArcaniA), Project Zomboid

2011 Releases

Aveyond: The Darkthrop Prophecy
Released: February 7, 2011
Country of Origin: USA
Developer: Amaranth Productions
Publisher: Amaranth Productions
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Magic, Top Down, 2D, Pixel Graphics, Fantasy, Hub Worlds, Puzzles, Indie, "JRPG"

The Baconing
Released: August 31, 2011
Country of Origin: Canada
Developer: Hothead Games
Publisher: Hothead Games
Tags: Real-Time, Hack & Slash, Isometric, Adventure, ARPG, Comedy, Co-op

Bastion
Released: July 20, 2011
Developer: Supergiant Games
Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive
Tags: Real-Time, Hack & Slash, Isometric, Single Character, Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Story Rich, Multiple Endings, Hand Drawn, 2D, ARPG, Indie, Great Soundtrack

Before the Echo
Released: May 5, 2011
Developer: Indium Studios
Publisher: Indium Studios
Tags: Rhythm Combat, 2D, Hand Drawn, Linear, Indie, Great Soundtrack

Cladun X2
Released: August 14, 2012 (PC Release)
Country of Origin: Japan
Developer: System Prisma
Publisher: NIS America
Tags: JRPG, Real-Time, Action, Hack & Slash, Class-Based, Top Down, 2D, Pixel Graphics, Dungeon Crawler, Procedurally Generated, Multiple Characters, PSP Port

Darkspore
Released: April 26, 2011
Developer: Maxis
Publisher: EA
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Hack & Slash, Isometric, Sci-fi, Space, Post-Apocalyptic, Party-Based, Class-Based, Linear, 3D, ARPG, Abandonware

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Released: August 23, 2011
Developer: Eidos
Publisher: Square Enix
Tags: Real-Time, Action, First Person, Shooter, Stealth, Single Character, Cyberpunk, Dystopian, Hub Worlds, Great Soundtrack
#48 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #56 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #78 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Dungeon Siege III
Released: June 16, 2011
Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
Publisher: Square Enix
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Hack & Slash, Isometric, Companions, Party-Based, Class-Based, Magic, Fantasy, Medieval, Dungeon Crawler, 3D, Linear, Co-op

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale
Released: May 25, 2011
Developer: Bedlam Games
Publisher: Atari
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Hack & Slash, Third Person, Class-Based, ARPG, Fantasy, Forgotten Realms Setting, Co-op, 4E D&D, Linear

E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
Released: July 29, 2011
Country of Origin: France
Developer: Streum On Studio
Publisher: Streum On Studio
Tags: Real-Time, First Person, Action, Shooter, ARPG, Single Character, Cyberpunk, Dystopian, Mission-Based, Non-Linear, 3D, Indie, Co-op, Source Engine
#221 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Released: November 11, 2011
Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Tags: Real-Time, Third Person, Action, ARPG, Factions, Adventure, Fantasy, Open World, Character Creation, 3D, Moddable, Great Soundtrack
#111 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Eliminage: Original
Released: May 19, 2011 (Original Release), November 28, 2017 (PC Release)
Country of Origin: Japan
Developer: Starfish SD
Publisher: Starfish SD
Tags: Turn-Based, First Person, Party-Based, Dungeon Crawler, Fantasy, Blobber, JRPG, Indie, PSP Port
#119 Codex Best RPGs (2019), #119 Codex Top JRPGs

Empires & Dungeons 2: The Sultanate
Released: November 17, 2011
Country of Origin: Germany
Developer: Niels Bauer
Publisher: United Independent Entertainment
Tags: Top Down, Turn-Based, Dungeon Crawler, Point & Click, Procedural Generation, Historical, Middle East, Overworld Map, Strategy, Resource Management, Empire Management, 2D, Indie

Grotesque Tactics II: Dungeons & Donuts
Released: November 21, 2011
Developer: Silent Dreams
Publisher: Headup Publishing
Tags: Turn-Based, Isometric, Party-Based, Point & Click, Magic, Fantasy, Skill Tree, Factions, Hub Worlds, Linear, Satire, Comedy, Indie, Short

King of Dragon Pass
Released: October 1999
Developer: A Sharp
Publisher: A Sharp
Tags: Text-Based, Choices Matter, 2D, CYOA, Story Rich, Fantasy, Mythology, Strategy, Resource Management, Kingdom Management, Indie
#48 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #53 Codex Best RPGs (2019), #54 Codex Best RPGs (2014)

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Released: November 1, 2011
Developer: Snowblind Studios
Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive
Tags: Delisted, Real-Time, Action, Hack & Slash, Third Person, Fantasy, Class-Based, Party-Based, 3D, Hub Worlds, Based on Novel, Co-op

Magical Diary: Horse Hall
Released: June 19, 2011
Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Developer: Hanako Games
Publisher: Hanako Games
Tags: Turn-Based, Single Character, Dungeon Crawler, Romance, Dating Sim, Visual Novel, Anime, Fantasy, Magic, Female Protagonist, Choices Matter, 2D, Puzzles, Indie

Millennium 4: Beyond Sunset
Released: August 6, 2011
Developer: Adorlea Games
Publisher: Adorlea Games
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Top Down, Side Scroller, 2D, Anime, Pixel Graphics, "JRPG", Adventure, Linear, Episodic, Indie

Mythos
Released: April 28, 2011
Country of Origin: South Korea
Developer: T3 Entertainment, Flagship Studios
Publisher: HanbitSoft
Tags: Real-Time, Hack & Slash, Action, ARPG, Class-Based, Single Character, Isometric, High Fantasy, 3D

Planet Stronghold
Released: February 28, 2011
Country of Origin: Italy
Developer: Winter Wolves
Publisher: Winter Wolves
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Class-Based, Adventure, Sci-fi, Space, Aliens, Romance, Crafting, 2D, Visual Novel, Linear, Anime, "JRPG", Indie

SPAZ: Space Pirates and Zombies
Released: August 15, 2011
Developer: MinMax Games
Publisher: MinMax Games
Tags: Real-Time, Top Down, Action, Vehicle Combat, Strategy, Shooter, Sci-fi, Space, Zombies, Pirates, 2D, Procedural Generation, Open World, Sandbox, Indie

Starpoint: Gemini
Released: December 15, 2010
Country of Origin: Croatia
Developer: Little Green Men Games
Publisher: Iceberg Interactive
Tags: Real-Time, Vehicle Combat, Third Person, Sandbox, Sci-fi, Space, Indie, Space Sim, 4X

Sylia
Released: March 8, 2011
Developer: Adorlea Games
Publisher: Adorlea Games
Tags: Turn-Based, Party Based, Top Down, 2D, Pixel Graphics, Anime, Adventure, Indie

Last edited:
Pool of Radiance
Released: June, 1988
Developer: Strategic Simulations, Inc
Publisher: Strategic Simulations, Inc
Tags: Dungeons & Dragons, Party-based, Turn-based Custom party- Class-based, Pixel Graphics, Mac, Amiga, First Person Exploration, Top Down Camera
Additions: #8 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #26 Codex Best RPGs (2019) #27 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #36 Codex Best RPGs (2014)

Darklands
Released: January 1, 1992
Developer: MPS Labs
Publisher: Microprose
Tags: Open World, Alternate History, Medieval Europe, Party-based, Real-time Combat, Pixel Graphics, Classless, Isometric
Additions: #5 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #18 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #21 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #48 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
Released: 1992
Developer: Sir-Tech
Publisher: Sir-Tech
Tags: First Person, Party-based, Turn-based Combat, Dungeon Crawler, Custom Party, Non-linear, Grid-based Movement, Class-based, Party Import, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Additions: #4 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #15 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #23 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #29 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Released: April, 1993
Developer: Strategic Simulations
Publisher: Strategic Simulations
Tags: Turn-based, Dungeons & Dragons, AD&D 2nd Edition, Turn-based, Party-based, Top Down Camera, Pixel Graphics, MS-DOS, Choose Race, Custom Party
Additions: #3 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #20 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #31 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #35 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
Released: March 21, 1992
Developer: Blue Sky Productions
Publisher: Origin Systems (Current IP holder: Electronic Arts)
Tags: Action, Single Character, Dungeon Crawler, Pixel Graphics, Ultima Series, First person
#27 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #37 Codex Best RPGs (2019), #20 Codex Best RPGs (2014)
Addition: #2 Codex Best Vintage RPGs

Albion
Released: January 1, 1995
Developer: Blue Byte
Publisher: Blue Byte (Current IP holder: Ubisoft)
Tags: Dungeon Crawler, Party-based, Overworld Map, Turn-based Combat, First Person/Overhead Camera, Pixel Grpahics, Sci-Fi
#50 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #51 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #113 Codex Best RPGs (2019)
Addition: #18 Codex Best Vintage RPGs

Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager
Released: 1994
Developer: Strategic Simulations
Publisher: Strategic Simulations
Tags: Turn-based, Dungeons & Dragons, AD&D 2nd Edition, Turn-based, Party-based, Top Down Camera, Pixel Graphics, MS-DOS, Choose Race, Custom Party, Import party
Addition: #21 Codex Best Vintage RPGs

The Dark Heart of Uukrul
Released: October 1, 1989
Country of Origin: New Zealand
Developer: Digital Studios Limited (Ian Boswell & Martin Buis)
Publisher: Broderbund Software
Tags: Party-based, Turn-based, Dungeon Crawler, Puzzles, Party-based
#48 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #69 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #119 Codex Best RPGs (2019)
Addition: #21 Codex Best Vintage RPGs

*Note: if placement is the same for two games, it means they were tied

Last edited:
Dungeon Master
Released: December 15, 1987
Developer: FTL Games
Publisher: FTL Games
Tags: First Person, Real-Time, Grid-Based Movement, Class-Based, Blobber, Puzzles, Pseudo 3D, Atari-ST, Amiga, MS-DOS, PC-98, Apple II
#10 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #41 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #59 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #62 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Released: September 20, 1996
Developer: Bethesda Softworks
Tags: Real-Time, Action, ARPG, First Person, Fantasy, Exploration, Great Soundtrack, Moddable
#6 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #26 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #35 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #54 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Eye of the Beholder
Released: 1991
Developer: Westwood Associates
Publisher: Strategic Simulations Inc.
Tags: Real-Time, First Person, Party-Based, Blobber, Point & Click, Dungeon Crawler, 3D, MS-DOS, Amiga, PC-98, Forgotten Realms
#15 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #49 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #161 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero
Developer: Sierra On-Line
Publisher: Sierra On-Line
Tags: Real-Time, Single Character, Point & Click, Adventure, 2D, MS-DOS, Amiga, Atari-ST, PC-98, Mac
#13 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #113 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail
Released: September 1994
Developer: Attic Entertainment
Publisher: Fantasy Productions (GER), U.S. Gold (EU), Sir-Tech (USA)
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Grid-Based Movement, Isometric, First Person Exploration, Fantasy, Dark Eye Ruleset
#12 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #28 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #30 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #42 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Released: April 16, 1992
Developer: Origin Systems
Publisher: Origin Systems
Tags: Real-Time, Party-Based, Top Down, Exploration, Fantasy, Exploration, Puzzles, Non-Linear
#7 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #25 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #33 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #30 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Wasteland
Released: January 2, 1988
Developer: Interplay Productions
Tags: Turn-Based, Top Down, Party-Based, Exploration, Post Apocalyptic, 2D, Pixel Graphics, Apple II, C64, MS-DOS
#10 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #29 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #42 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #83 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Released: September 1, 1981
Tags: Turn-Based, First Person, Party-Based, Class-Based, Dungeon Crawler, Blobber, Apple II, C64, Mac, PC-98
#13 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #64 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #47 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

**I counted, this list makes it a total of 150 entries from me (excluding the one I know was cut). I'm gonna keep it at that nice round number now lol

Last edited:

ropetight

Savant
Dungeon Master
Released: December 15, 1987
Developer: FTL Games
Publisher: FTL Games
Tags: First Person, Real-Time, Grid-Based Movement, Class-Based, Blobber, Puzzles, Pseudo 3D, Atari-ST, Amiga, MS-DOS, PC-98, Apple II
#10 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #41 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #59 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #62 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Released: September 20, 1996
Developer: Bethesda Softworks
Tags: Real-Time, Action, ARPG, First Person, Fantasy, Exploration, Great Soundtrack, Moddable
#6 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #26 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #35 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #54 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Eye of the Beholder
Released: 1991
Developer: Westwood Associates
Publisher: Strategic Simulations Inc.
Tags: Real-Time, First Person, Party-Based, Blobber, Point & Click, Dungeon Crawler, 3D, MS-DOS, Amiga, PC-98, Forgotten Realms
#15 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #49 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #161 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero
Developer: Sierra On-Line
Publisher: Sierra On-Line
Tags: Real-Time, Single Character, Point & Click, Adventure, 2D, MS-DOS, Amiga, Atari-ST, PC-98, Mac
#13 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #113 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail
Released: September 1994
Developer: Attic Entertainment
Publisher: Fantasy Productions (GER), U.S. Gold (EU), Sir-Tech (USA)
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Grid-Based Movement, Isometric, First Person Exploration, Fantasy, Dark Eye Ruleset
#12 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #28 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #30 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #42 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Released: April 16, 1992
Developer: Origin Systems
Publisher: Origin Systems
Tags: Real-Time, Party-Based, Top Down, Exploration, Fantasy, Exploration, Puzzles, Non-Linear
#7 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #25 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #33 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #30 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Wasteland
Released: January 2, 1988
Developer: Interplay Productions
Tags: Turn-Based, Top Down, Party-Based, Exploration, Post Apocalyptic, 2D, Pixel Graphics, Apple II, C64, MS-DOS
#10 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #29 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #42 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #83 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Released: September 1, 1981
Tags: Turn-Based, First Person, Party-Based, Class-Based, Dungeon Crawler, Blobber, Apple II, C64, Mac, PC-98
#13 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #64 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #47 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

**I counted, this list makes it a total of 150 entries from me (excluding the one I know was cut). I'm gonna keep it at that nice round number now lol
This thread is getting more and more amazing, it is more informative and useful than felipepepe's RPG book.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Felipe's book is great, and this list isn't made to compete with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom