Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A good Fallout 3 review

racofer

Thread Incliner
stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

S_Verner

Scholar
Google has been bribed not to include us in any searches for Fallout 3.

denizsi

Arcane
This is the Volourn I know - crying about others' opinions because theya rne't the same. Pathetic.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member

Vidken

Novice
denizsi said:
I don't understand why people have such a hard time contemplating what turn-based means and why VATS is irrelevant to turn-based. You get to carry out an action uninterrupted and then the opponents also take their moments to do the same, hence calling it turn-based. In VATS, there is no taking turns. You pause, and then unpause. The game proceeds as usual. Was Mass Effect also called turn-based?
The Bethesda Hype Machine certainly did it's job well enough. No matter what sort of back-woods, gaming-irrelevant forum I visit where there happens to be a thread about Fallout 3, everybody who mentions VATS says it's turn-based.

I GUESS EVERY GAME WITH A PAUSE BUTTON IS TURN-BASED LOLOLO

DraQ

Arcane
Claw said:
denizsi said:
I don't understand why people have such a hard time contemplating what turn-based means and why VATS is irrelevant to turn-based.
Because they are all morons. Hundreds of millions of them. Actually, make that billions. We shouldn't discriminate against starving Africans, Indian peasants and Chinese rice farmers just because most of them don't have an Xbox.
My god, it's full of 'tards?

Wow, that completely destroyed any hope of Fallout 3 being even a decent action game. Even in the other videos of it, you can see that you basically need a anti-tank weapon against a wild dog.

DoppelG

Scholar
Unradscorpion said:
inwoker said:
Best women aren't slim as this one. If you like slim girls you deny your nature and go with modern slim-model-girl trend.
Best girls are like this.

edit: Fuck. How Fallout 3 tread turned into girl pics discuss?
It's better than discussing FO3.

I am 15 right now, and that girl still looks ill and sick... I guess pedophiles here like like her.

Yep, there's no other way then to go sick and ill.

Rosh said:
denizsi said:
Well, I remember reading RTWP in mainstream media (ie. mostly written for morons by morons) for IE games and even in at least one ME review, so that's why slapping TB on RTWP is kind of new to me.

When the "definition" came from the horse's ass themselves, it really took the stupid to whole new levels.

Mainstream media in general have surely been getting to new highs in stupidity in recent years though.

Thank BioWare, Bethesda, 2K Games, Lionhead, Blizzard, Microsoft, and just about every X-Box whore developer out there.

Blizzard? Are you high on stupidity or something?

Utter phail.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
I don't think you can call phail on Rosh, he's an elder Roshambo warrior of the Codex.
Thus, you must suck his dick.

DoppelG

Scholar
I know who Rosh is tyvm, and i call utter phail on that list cause it sucks and i'm awesome.

This one mixes valid criticism with over the top retardity.

http://www.crispygamer.com/gamereviews/2008-10-28/fallout-3-pc-2.aspx

But the real storyline here is how you develop your character and navigate the choices. This is what makes Fallout 3 a great RPG. It's got plenty of meticulous stats and picky skill checks, but what sets it apart is the way you navigate the moral geography. Who do you help or hurt, and how do you do it? That's the far more compelling part of the storyline, and it's the bulk of the character development, even more than which perk you take when you level up (which is also pretty compelling). In this regard, Fallout 3 is very much like the games of Obsidian and Black Isle, but without their dated top-down contrivances.

But on the other hand, the world is chopped up into separate boxes divided by loading screens, where characters simply vanish when they walk through a door. The animation is terrible for anything but slow-motion death scenes, and the game looks particularly awkward when it attempts some sort of coordination between two or more characters. It's enough to make you want to leave your companion at home. Bethesda's objective seems to be letting you play it as a turn-based slow-motion decapitation sim, or as a slightly clunky shooter.

It's a hassle messing around with the terrible Pip-Boy 3000 to manage your weapons, examine your map, or check your radiation level. The clunky dialogue trees are painfully old-school and crammed into too-small windows posted beneath talking heads. Mass Effect's cinematic conversations would have helped a lot, but even then, clicking through dialogue killed so much of the world-building. Conversations are like commercial interruptions. "And now, a series of one-line messages from your NPC. Stay tuned! The game will be right back!"

headcripns3.gif

Simbacca

Novice
Here's another pretty balanced review:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/inc ... ----r.html

My favorite quote would be this: "And then it dawned on me: Nothing in Fallout 3 is funny." It even has its own paragraph for emphasis. Overall this review gave it a 8/10. There are some questionable opinions in it as well, such as his love for something being just around every corner (that would seem too over-crowded to me for a wasteland), but overall I think 8/10 seems fair for all I've seen and read. I'll actually play it myself once I can heavily mod it... maybe.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
"Fallout 3 is an incredibly deep, engrossing title that easily ranks as one of the best role-playing games in recent memory." :roll:

Grifman

Liturgist
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Wow, that completely destroyed any hope of Fallout 3 being even a decent action game. Even in the other videos of it, you can see that you basically need a anti-tank weapon against a wild dog.

Having played the game, I can tell you that your statement is patently false. Every animal I've come across - ants, dogs, mole rats - has gone done with a few shots outside of VATS.

That said, the NPC's in the vid were a traveling trader and his guard. These NPCs are tough to prevent players from easily killng/looting them. And from the equipment of the player, it was also obvious that he had a low level character. And since damage is tied to level, the amount of damage he was inflicting was relatively low. That's how RPG's work. However, what Bethesda should have done here to prevent what we just saw is not only make the guard tough, but have him inflict high level damage so that a lower level character wouldn't got off more than a couple of shots. One time of that and low level characters would be discouraged from taking that line of action until they leveled up more.

That said, this really isn't any different that the original Fallout's. If you tried to take out Metzger and the slavers in the Den early on straight out of Arroyo, you could have some extremely long battles because your character was just too weak to do much damage. If you find a problem with combat realisim in Fallout 3, you have to find it in the originals also.

But I suppose that's not a very popular opinion around here :)

Grifman

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Aimed shots in Fallout typically resulted in a critical hit. I'm not sure how many creatures in Fallout or Fallout 2 could take 32 critical hits to their head, but I'm sure things like that would be limited to boss creatures - not normal guards.

This wasn't a "normal" guard. That should be pretty obvious from the video. "Normal" guards will go down with one or two head shots in VATS, if it takes that many. This was the equivalent of a boss for game play reasons and the player was a low level newbie from the look of his equipment .

Shannow

Waster of Time
Unradscorpion said:
I am 15 right now, and that girl still looks ill and sick... I guess pedophiles here like like her.
15 years old just like 95% of the Codex, but the only one who admits it.
???

And being one of the supposedly 5% I have to say, she looks like 13. She can come back when she has aquired some womanly curves. I like petite but that is anorexic. *shudder*
Oh, and the face is only average, too.
So her pictures are a pretty good FO3 review: Not really a woman but advertised as such. And even on a purely esthetical level not much to look at. And only kiddos and weirdos (one does not exclude the other) drool over her.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Grifman said:
This wasn't a "normal" guard. That should be pretty obvious from the video. "Normal" guards will go down with one or two head shots in VATS, if it takes that many. This was the equivalent of a boss for game play reasons and the player was a low level newbie from the look of his equipment .
So a newby with crappy equipment can take down a boss? Are you trying to defend the game or criticising it? I can't tell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom