Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Fucking Quality Poster (Let's be nice for a change)

Do you approve of the good shit that Sceptic dishes out?

• YEA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NAY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ironyuri

To usher a change of pace from the usual threads about banning inane Pakistanis, gay Georgians or Cloaked Lebanese warriors, I would like to introduce a motion that Sceptic be presented with the "Fucking Quality Poster!" tag.

I believe he deserves this tag and has a proven track record of incline. As recent evidence, it is posts like these:

Sceptic said:
I don't think I agree with this. I much prefer your earlier definition - "character's abilities are among the things shaped by the player." IMO this is enough to distinguish strategy/wargame from (C)RPG, where the player does not in fact shape the character's abilities - if he does in some way (see HOMM) then you've introduced RPG elements into your strategy/wargame, and then where the game falls on the axis depends on how much importance you give to these RPG elements; if they're a very small focus it's primarly a strategy/wargame (see Panzer General), if it's the main focus then it's a pure CRPG (see Pool of Radiance), if it's somewhere in-between then it's a hybrid (see HOMM). Of course it's not always entirely clear (see Warlords 3, which I consider to fall somewhere between HOMM and PG), but nobody said that a definition has to have every single game fall in its own box; as long as vast majority of games fall somewhere on the axis then you're fine. The nice thing about my (well, your, but since your stated definition shifted slightly from it I'll appropriate it as mine) is that it can as easily apply regardless of the presence of combat, so it can also be used to distinguish between adventure games and CRPG's too (since in adventure char's abilities are beyond player's control, and in fact are utterly set in stone), and with a bit of tweaking can also easily integrate action-RPG's: where direct player input supercedes character's abilities in shaping the world, but char's abilities still play a major role; as their role lessens you instead shift towards "action game with CRPG elements", but you're still on the same axis.

Extra bonus: my definition can also easily be integrated into Mondblut's (or vice-versa) as presented in this thread. It also completely bypasses the storyfag/mondblutian dichotomy (as well as the linear/openworld one for that matter), since it does not in any way rely on combat-heaviness or story-heaviness; the only caveat would be whether combat is influenced more by player or character skill (see action-RPG above), and likewise for story/dialog (therefore PST is not an adventure game - I can already see Mondblut disagreeing with this one though). You can then have fun splitting the genre into as many subgenres as you like based on combat vs exploration vs story vs C&C vs action vs dungeon crawling vs whatever the hell you want, but while it may be trickier to get everything lumped properly into neat subgenres I think using the 2 axes that I have already mentioned, plus maybe a third for story vs open-world, would allow for a pretty well defined categorization even for subgenres, and you'd be left with very few games that don't fit anywhere (and these probably won't fit regardless of the system you try to design).

That make Sceptic a quality poster. He contributes insight and a good breadth of cRPG knowledge to discussion and very rarely engages in trolling, an act which, I myself have succumbed to since joining and have thus proven myself not to be as quality as I'd like to be.

I invite supporters of this motion to muster evidence indicating Sceptic's true quality, while his detractors may present their case.[/quote]

Thats the same thing I posted before him.
Except that mine was better and earlier.
I rock and roll 20s.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fucking Quality Poster™ has always been CF's tag, even though he doesn't have it. Try something else...

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Dude, I hate to interrupt your masturbation session but there are multiple posters here who provide insight into whatever they're posting about.

I don't see anyone offering anything to serious_business, blackadder or azrael the cat.

Vibalist

Arcane
Quality posters always get special tags. Look at Jaesun's Codex Martyr tag and all that shit.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't give him a special title, we don't want him getting an ego.

Murk

Arcane
This site was formed on the basis of such posts -- people discussing the games we enjoy (or hate) with proper understanding, analysis, comparison, and criticism. This is supposed to be the norm.

Has it gotten so bad that when things are normal people feel that it should be rewarded? I like Sceptic's post(s) (usually), but how about instead of slapping gold stars on him we just keep doing what we were supposed to ?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mikayel said:
This site was formed on the basis of such posts -- people discussing the games we enjoy (or hate) with proper understanding, analysis, comparison, and criticism. This is supposed to be the norm.

Has it gotten so bad that when things are normal people feel that it should be rewarded? I like Sceptic's post(s) (usually), but how about instead of slapping gold stars on him we just keep doing what we were supposed to ?

:salute:

Cassidy

Arcane
Between mostly beating dead horses with walls of text, starting Let's Play threads and shitposting, I can see why, after so many years of RPGCodex, there are many mostly doing the latter.

The best thing is when the Codex accuses other forums of being circlejerks, and then it starts jerking off in threads like this.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
this has inspired me. from now on I'll be a better poster. after this post. this is my last supershit post.

hitler hitler hitler hitler

LittleJoe

Arbiter
The trouble with Sceptic is he's a bit too wordy.
Why does he have to qualify every sentence he utters?
Words have power, but Sceptics posts are not authoritative.

MCA
Teehee, newfags bitching about newfags. Anyone who registered starting 2008 is forever a newfag. Starting 2012, new members will be called nextfags and you will still be newfags. Fucking newfags.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
villain of the story said:
Teehee, newfags bitching about newfags. Anyone who registered starting 2008 is forever a newfag. Starting 2012, new members will be called nextfags and you will still be newfags. Fucking newfags.

Fucking newfag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom