Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A couple of questions...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fuck, that actually looks good.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Vault Dweller said:
A multi-thousandare? Sounds awesome. Thank you for your enthusiasm, Señor Roqua.

Anyway, there is still some stuff that needs to be done. At the mean time, here is a picture of what we are tweaking at the moment:

That's an elevator.

Pictures aside, enthusiam aside, does anyone see what I'm saying? Lets talk about it in theory, and fake the game could be released today (regardless of if it can or will).

What the people replaying the FO's say is the the perspective and combat sucks, but the open-ended gameplay, choices and consiquences, and quest structure is what sets FO apart from any other game. There is no other games to turn to in this regard that resemble FO in these aspects.

The golden opportunity comes by way of the big sites are hungry for FO3 news or related news, and word of mouth by gamers showing their wisdom and oneupmanship. Whenever FO3 is mentioned AoD will be mentioned, and it can't help but have a multiplicative effect on demo downloads, which of course will result in increased sales. People listen to the big mags and sites. People are already sucking up their graphic whoreness to play the original FO's. The retards will probably not even know the game is a gay indie game and just thing its old like FO but with better graphics.

Just make sure the demo captures you and has a great hook.

Jora

Arcane
I see what you're saying.

The biggest problem RPGs have is that they get either the story(/NPC interaction) OR the combat right. Arcanum, TToEE, Bloodlines, KotOR2, Geneforge... If Iron Tower succeed at creating a game that has both an exciting storyline and cool combat, I think people will notice.

"The game is so much like Fallout but like Arcanum and ToEE too! The enemy placement is intelligent and I don't have to fight hordes of mindless lower level creatures! Joy! And what's more, the plot is stonger than Fallout's but still non-linear oh god it's heaven DOWNLOAD THE FREE DEMO NOW!"

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Roqua said:
The golden opportunity comes by way of the big sites are hungry for FO3 news...
The golden opportunity comes when you have a really great game, not when you are trying to take advantage of the fact that Bethesda has butchered the Fallout series.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
A multi-thousandare? Sounds awesome. Thank you for your enthusiasm, Señor Roqua.

Anyway, there is still some stuff that needs to be done. At the mean time, here is a picture of what we are tweaking at the moment:

That's an elevator.

For some reason, the color scheme reminds me of Fallout...

Kraszu

Prophet
gamespot kid 1:lol that game is not even placed in post apo but in rome, somebody made mistake and give wrong screens?
gamespot kid 2:Oblivion was the most non linear game ever I am sure that bethseda will out do old FO games but whit grapchics that original creators could only dream about.
gamespot kid 3: Why make iso game (that is not even iso copy paste page from wikipedia to show haw smart he is) when technology allow for fp now? Some people can't move forward lolz.
gamespot kid 4:That game is looking good, not as good as mass effect through roofles.

Most people don't even know what "choices & consequences" are referring to in game.

psycojester

Arbiter
The golden opportunity comes when you have a really great game, not when you are trying to take advantage of the fact that Bethesda has butchered the Fallout series.

Silly VaultDweller its not about making a good game, its about really good PR, which you use to sell lots of copies. Then you use the money to buy a lot of journalistic whores to gently rim you in order to soothe the fact that your a filthy whore who has completely sold out on your dream.

At least thats what i infer from modern game development anyway

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Your words are of pure gold, VD. I hope you'll manage to climb rpg pantheon where Troika's team seats.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Vault Dweller said:
Roqua said:

That sounds like a good theory and makes me fuzzy, but in reality thats not how it works. How do most people get nice cooshy jobs? Networking or luck (right place at the right time). I work hard, I get more done than anyone around me, even with leaving early due to sickness, but I will not go that far in my company because I put zero effort into knowing the right people and office politicing, so I have to hope for right place and right time (like my boss dies and the kidd asses I work with do something stupid at the same time). Hard work and better quality and quantity of work just gives you job security.

Look at any great and classic game, all underrated and didn't sell that well. Same with a lot of movies and books. A great game will get you a devoted fan following, but it isn't a golden opportunity.

There is nothing wrong with using FO3 and FO3's hype machine to help the cause. This is business, and you have to realize you are dealing with morons that let hype machines do their thinking for them. How many kids, drooling over FO3, would give this game a try after its compared to FO3 and the big magazine/site gives it a nod?

Look at how many people are playing the original FOs for the first time just because of FO3.

Look at it this way, lets say my company was bringing in some Golden Boy Hot Shot to do something I know I could better at, or did do better at, and I was presented with a once in a lifetime opportunity to show the big wigs that I could do it better, cheaper, with more accuracy and efficiency than the golden boy, just with a little less superficial pomp and pazaaz. Whose fault is it if I don't step up to bat and take the opportunities life throws at me? Especially golden ones? What would you do if you were in my shoes? Put your head down and hope beyond hope that one of the big wigs will spontaniously notice me and prmote me on a whim?

This is your game, and you can do with it what you want (of course). You can make it, finish it, and never release it if you wanted to. You could replace all the dialgue with the word penis and there is n0othing anyone could do to stop you. But what I am looking for is for you to at least recognize that this is a once and a life time chance to pentrate markets that before would never even think about playing this game. I'm not saying things will work out exactly how I said, I just think its an oppurtunity that has to be recognized that is a possibility if exploited.

Even if you release a long ways from now, it could still work out. You just have to beat FO3 by at least 4 months, but the more steam the better, so the earlier the release, the better.

The greatest thing about this opportunity is that it requires nothing from you. You don't have to hype anything. Let the steam and the hype machine do it for you.

Selenti

Liturgist
Taking PR advice from Roqua is just above asking the guy in the bar who always falls asleep in his own piss and vomit how to build a nuclear reactor.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Selenti said:
Taking PR advice from Roqua is just above asking the guy in the bar who always falls asleep in his own piss and vomit how to build a nuclear reactor.

Tee-hee, good one. Nuclear Reactor!!! HA

Vault Dweller

Developer
Roqua said:
Vault Dweller said:
Roqua said:

That sounds like a good theory and makes me fuzzy, but in reality thats not how it works. How do most people get nice cooshy jobs? Networking or luck (right place at the right time). I work hard, I get more done than anyone around me, even with leaving early due to sickness, but I will not go that far in my company because I put zero effort into knowing the right people and office politicing...
I worked my way up to Vice-President, Sales & Marketing by being really good at what I do and by being a confident asshole who had no problem telling people, including the president of the company, to fuck off (literally) and let me do my job as I see fit. I started as "data entry", btw.

Hard work and better quality and quantity of work just gives you job security.
Balls (i.e. being able to ask for what you deserve/earned, without taking some bullshit for an answer) give you the rest.

The greatest thing about this opportunity is that it requires nothing from you. You don't have to hype anything. Let the steam and the hype machine do it for you.
People create their own opportunities. Anything else are merely attempts to jump on some wagon that passes you by. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Roqua said:
Vault Dweller said:
Roqua said:

That sounds like a good theory and makes me fuzzy, but in reality thats not how it works. How do most people get nice cooshy jobs? Networking or luck (right place at the right time). I work hard, I get more done than anyone around me, even with leaving early due to sickness, but I will not go that far in my company because I put zero effort into knowing the right people and office politicing...
I worked my way up to Vice-President, Sales & Marketing by being really good at what I do and by being a confident asshole who had no problem telling people, including the president of the company, to fuck off (literally) and let me do my job as I see fit. I started as "data entry", btw.

Hard work and better quality and quantity of work just gives you job security.
Balls (i.e. being able to ask for what you deserve/earned, without taking some bullshit for an answer) give you the rest.

People create their own opportunities. Anything else are merely attempts to jump on some wagon that passes you by. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Whoopee, a manager badass. Wonderful. When you are done Donald-Trumping, Go finish the damn game!

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Another couple of questions:
1. Are you going to add option to turn off these [] terrible dialogue markers?
2. I forgot.

Kraszu

Prophet
What about combat in city or other crowded by neutral npc place? Will there be option to not watch movement of npc that does not attack you (or option like that about neutral npc) to make fight more fluid?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ander Vinz said:
1. Are you going to add option to turn off these [] terrible dialogue markers?
Maybe.

Translation: I don't really care, but if we have time and someone remembers to do it, we may actually end up doing it.

Kraszu said:
What about combat in city or other crowded by neutral npc place? Will there be option to not watch movement of npc that does not attack you (or option like that about neutral npc) to make fight more fluid?
All non-combat personnel quickly get the fuck out and stay out (disabled) during fights.

Vault Dweller

Developer
You can. When you attack a civilian, he/she will be tagged as combat enthusiast and will be able to act (fight back, run away, or ask you to spare his worthless life). It's a very easy way to keep civilians out of fights without taking away your God given rights to butcher helpless people if you are feeling down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom