Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

9th Dawn II - ARpg

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Dear codex,

I closed out steam and do not feel like reopening it and forgot the name of the game in the three seconds since looking and now it is gone from my mind. It is called Something 2. The first was a phone game. The game looks like it could be decent but the reviews I read that seem like they may kind of be useful all had weird shit causing me not to trust the review leaver at all (like "controller support - huge plus!!!!" and other bleatings common from the maws of the stupids).

How is this game? Is it a real crpg worth 3.50 or whatever it costs or is it some phone shit for retards/millennials with no depth, no complexity, no chardev, or chargen? (And I list retards/millennials separately specifically for the people who do not know they are synonyms yet due most likely to their severe retardation)

Thank you,

Roqua

Hobo Elf

Arcane
i played the first one. all you do is mow down enemies as they come at you however it also had a huge unrestricted map and rewarding exploration with unique items. pretty neat, for a mobile game. this seems more of the same

Seems like it's a genuine article cRPG and right up Roqua's alley.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism

Roqua

Prospernaut
The one big map doesn't seem like a big selling point to me. How is the chargen and chardev? Are there lots of quests and npcs and towns or is it just combat and more combat?

valorwareuk

Barely Literate
Hi, I'm the developer of 9th Dawn II. I just wanted to give some input/answers to your questions which will hopefully help you make your mind up. This game has been initially designed for PC, with some input being simplified to allow for ports to mobile. As a result, the complexity of the HUD/Character options had to be reduced. I know there are perfectly legitimate ways to make it perfect for both, but please understand I am a 1man team doing all the graphics and programming (C++, from scratch, own build engine) myself, so I just didn't have time to make it perfect despite a 4 year development cycle :) Granted, the mobile versions came out about 6 months earlier than the Steam version, but this was due to me being absolutely terrified of releasing on the PC market and wanted to be absolutely sure it was in a very stable state before releasing on PC- it was also when I first released the online multiplayer section of the game.

As for character creation, there basically is none, it's just name+gender. I know a lot of people hold a special importance over character creation for role-playing purposes, so if you're looking for that kind of thing then sadly this game isn't for you and yes you should probably not buy it. The first game allowed you to select a class too, but I found that too restrictive during game. 9th Dawn II allows you to spend attribute points and develop skills for whatever build you like ingame without too many restrictions. For example, after a few levels of pouring points into STR/CON, you can decide to spend a few points in INT/WIS to learn some supportive spells to help your adventure. This is further supported by a mix+match dual wielding system, so you can have a 1H melee weapon on one hand, and an offensive spell in the other.

The one big map doesn't seem like a big selling point to me. How is the chargen and chardev? Are there lots of quests and npcs and towns or is it just combat and more combat?

I will be the first to admit that there aren't many towns, I think there's about 4 throughout the entire map. There also aren't that many quests~ I'd say approx 2 per town. This is partly due to time constraints for content during development, and partly because I couldn't find any reason to make more towns as they seemed kind of boring, placing more of a unique importance on the towns that do exist. The other reason is due to the story, spoilers....
the other towns are in ruins due to dark crystal/monster activity, and you must conquer them to retrieve the dark shards to help restore order to the world
. Which leads me to my next admission:

The story is not a strong point. It has a generic-ish plot and probably will not stimulate most people who are really into that kind of thing. Again, partly due to time constraints and having to do pretty much everything myself, but also due receiving a lot of complaints about the first game regarding the story/quests being too complicated i.e. not knowing what to do next, especially because I had a large international audience, some of which could not read English that well. I wanted to create an easier story-line which should be complete-able by trial and error and general assumptions, so that it will be more accessible to those who don't understand English. I realise localisation is a thing, but unfortunately it is not a practical option for me for many reasons. Lastly, story writing/English is also not my strong point :P

As for the Steam reviews, I have never 'bought' any reviews or forced anyone to write a review. I don't know what gave you that impression, but you can even check in Steam that the reviews come from genuine purchased games and not "free key activations", which is what some developers use to bribe positive reviews. The game isn't perfect, nor is it everyone's cup of tea, but I do have an established organic fan base for the series, most of which has come from the first game. You can see all the positive reviews for 9th Dawn 1 yourself on Google Play, and see that genuinely there is a lot of people who do enjoy this type of game, there's no possible way I could have 'bought' all those reviews. There's a lot of negative ones too, due to the games having weaknesses which I am honest and up-front about.

SO, what DOES the game have to offer?

Open world cross-platform multiplayer was a big thing I wanted to aim for. Up to 8 players (maybe more depending on your connections) can play on the same hosted game. They can travel wherever they want in the seamless open world, you are not all confined to the same screen. You can host a game on Steam and be playing on the big screen in your living room, and your friends can join/leave your game as they please on their PC/Android/iOS device. PVP is optional. Multiplayer is not a mini-game, it is the full game with all the quests, exactly the same as the single-player campaign. This is where a lot of development time was spent due to the difficulty of achieving this. In hindsight it probably wasn't such a great idea as content did suffer, but it was a technical goal I wanted to achieve. People do tend to enjoy the multiplayer though :)

Large variety of unique monsters. I hate just seeing the same recoloured monsters in games, I decided to push myself and draw as many monsters as I feasibly could within the timescale. I think there's around 120 different types of monsters in the game, which leads to a more exciting adventure and exploration, and seeing what they drop. And seeing how much they mess you up.

Large variety of unique weapons and armours. I also included a massive array of uniquely drawn items to find/equip/sell/hoard, some nice sets to wear and you can wear any combination of things provided you're skilled enough/can carry enough to help fine tune your character build.

The map is quite large for an indie game in my opinion, with plenty of dungeons and secrets to find. I mostly enjoy exploration in RPGs, and it is what made my first game strong on the market. I of course will admit that there are some boring parts of the map, but I did my best with it and tried to make sure there was at least something everywhere.

Hours of gameplay- this is obviously a difficult metric to measure, but some of the players who are heavily into this kind of game have over 100hours clocked into it. It is impossible to complete the game within a few hours due to the size and difficulty, it is not a game where you can complete it quickly and then have to replay it over and over again to get your money's worth. I'd maybe average the typical hours to be between 5-20 depending on if you get bored, but if you get sucked in then prepare to spend quite a few more hours :)

I hope I've managed to answer some questions, I know a lot of hardcore RPG players will fin some of what I said disappointing, I fully respect everyone's preferences on what they expect out of a RPG, but unfortunately I couldn't cater to everyone. If it is very clear the game isn't for you, please do not buy it, I have tried to be as honest as I can to an RPG community to help you make your mind up! If you are unsure, please check out some gameplay videos on youtube. Please make use of the Steam refund mechanic, aslong as you play under 2 hours (I think?) you can request a refund from Steam with no problem if the game is not to your liking.

Thanks for reading, and as a special thank you and contribution to RPGCodex, please accept a few Steam keys on me, this is the first and most likely last time I'll ever post keys on a forum :)

BHH3H-2230C-VNMYB
RTLVA-AXXQ4-Y5I4Y
QLQ6G-DJJJ5-HLL8E

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If it is very clear the game isn't for you, please do not buy it, I have tried to be as honest as I can to an RPG community to help you make your mind up! If you are unsure, please check out some gameplay videos on youtube. Please make use of the Steam refund mechanic, aslong as you play under 2 hours (I think?) you can request a refund from Steam with no problem if the game is not to your liking.
Pretty bro of you. :greatjob:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I'll be just throwing out some observations. Hopefully you find some useful.

Macbook Pro Retina with discrete Radeon R9 M370X, Windows 10.

• No full screen resolutions scale properly. I suspect you are not accounting for windows UI scaling.
  • Need to restart game to change resolution / fullscreen/window mode

valorwareuk

Barely Literate
I'll be just throwing out some observations. Hopefully you find some useful.

Macbook Pro Retina with discrete Radeon R9 M370X, Windows 10.

• No full screen resolutions scale properly. I suspect you are not accounting for windows UI scaling.
  • Need to restart game to change resolution / fullscreen/window mode

Yeah the windows scaling is currently an issue. It should work fine if you set it to 100%. I'm not exactly sure how to fix this although I have been looking into it all day. I tried editing the .manifest file but it didn't seem to make a difference. The game is made with SDL (NOT SDL2.0) and OpenGL, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
bought it (though I don't have time to play it right now). Already turned off by the flipping animation when you switch movement directions. just make it instant, it breaks my immershun seeing a 2d sprite rotate like that

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Paper Mario effect. I agree through, for RT combat you don't want ambiguity as to where your character is facing and the flip animation is slow as RT goes.

Roqua

Prospernaut

Thank you for the explanation. I've bought it and it is a decent time so far. I won't lie and say this game is right up my ally, and it is not like TOME at all. But there is a decent level of chardev and so far enough non-combat content to keep my interest so far. It is well worth the 3 bucks and change it cost for the three or four hours I put into it.

I think there is a bog divide with people who like video games. People like me who play games to unwind from being forced to interact with people all day, and people who see games as a different way of hanging out and socializing. Playing games is a personal affair to me, and even when I play mmorpgs I play them as a single player game. When I do interact with people it is usually for my entertainment.

I would say it is generational but there seems to be a lot of people my age who grew up having to wait for their turn to play the NES, or their turn on the computer, whowant games to be multiplayer. Multiplayer to me is wasted money that could have went into making the actual content better. But I feel the same about the AAA devs spending 90% of the budget on graphics they treat as sunk costs.

I know all of my kids only play games with other people either over the console internet whatever, or they all play a game together on the Wii and cheer each other on instead of hoping they die ASAP so their turn comes quicker like how it was when I was a kid and people were normal. I should add that they much prefer watching other people play video games on youtube like a bunch of fucking idiots, instead of playing video games themselves. They are like 95% watchers and 5% players. I love those little fuckers, but I also want to beat the shit out of them until they are normal and stop this insanity. I can accept only wanting to play video games with other people, but preferring to watch strangers play video games instead of playing yourself is too much weirdness for any normal father to bear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom