Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 242: Chris Avellone on Torment: Tides of Numenera

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Matt Barton; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Matt Barton has actually interviewed Chris Avellone before. Today he's broken with tradition and invited him over again, to speak about Torment: Tides of Numenera.

There's not really much information about the game here that we don't already know, but it's always nice to get MCA's view of things. I'm sure some of our readers will be thrilled to know that the world of Numenera is filled with DIVERSITY!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In most RPGs, you kill rats in basement.

In Torment: Tides of Numenera, YOU ARE THE RATS, and basement tries to kill you!

throwaway

Cipher
Probably mentioned before, but I don't remember explicitly hearing that Fargo wanted to give MCA a more integral role from the get-go and he that he explicitly declined because it'd be hard fit it among the rest of his workload..
:mca: :rpgcodex:

No real ground to mention his take on how a PST successor would be, as far as I'm concerned.

The Bloom sounds like Sigil turned to 11.

Alonebadman

Educated
Diversity in murder? I am looking forward to being a rat and eating the basement for all it's nutritional value. +5 to insanity stat!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I approve :thumbsup:, although inviting MCA again does speak of some desperation for Matt to make his YT channel more popular.

imweasel

I see MCA still has that shitty webcam he used 5 years ago.
I guess MCA spends all his money on bues and women, so he can't afford 80 bucks for a decent webcam.

Such is the life of a game designing rockstar.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think they've covered it already, but the crafting system sounds neat as long as players can resist savescumming.

Pantalones

Prospernaut
How can something lose when it has more DIVERSITY?!? Also, now with more MOLECULES!

I know race relations are the most important thing to me in a game. Keep those filthy anglo saxons out of my games, please. Nonhuman diversity might be nice but who would care about such things in an RPG?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I know race relations are the most important thing to me in a game. Keep those filthy anglo saxons out of my games, please. Nonhuman diversity might be nice but who would care about such things in an RPG?
In a game world where things are supposed to be alien and strange and you're selling it to an audience that lives in a white dominated culture, I would say it's pretty important.

Or we can just be edgy for no reason.

Pantalones

Prospernaut
In a game world where things are supposed to be alien and strange and you're selling it to an audience that lives in a white dominated culture, I would say it's pretty important.

Or we can just be edgy for no reason.

You could be alien by, say, being alien and completely nonhuman. If I wanted some banal political BS from the minds of infants I could watch TV.

I guess fantasy races are nerd shit though. Doing it is one thing, devoting a quarter of the interview to it shows some worrying priorities. Even more glad I did not back this one, more money for better projects.

Also, it would have been nice to get something from the interview besides a giant plug. I am more than a bit disappointed in this interview.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom