Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Civ V free to play this weekend

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Civilization V; Firaxis

0031888.jpg

Civilization V is going to be free to play this weekend starting Friday and ending Sunday at 9:00 PM GMT.

The full game will be available at 75% off as well.

Absalom

Is it really selling that bad? That said, I don't think I care enough to play it for free, honestly

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've only recently switched from Civ3 to Civ4. Civ5 needs to mature a bit more to be noteworthy IMO.

Hellraiser

Arcane
They'll never reach Civ 4 level, is that it?

Considering how severely dumbed down city management was in Civ V and how butchered some eras got (classical era took like what, one discovery to end?) I don't think that would be possible. That's even despite some pretty good changes like most obviously the combat and resource systems. Social policies also weren't bad but could use tweaking.

Also no wonder movies or ones for the victory, just static 2D art.

Eyeball

Arcane
It was 10 euros, pretty much had to buy it.

What mods should I use? Civ games are notoriously shallow out of the box, I assume this is no different.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, I loved those construction vids for Civ 4 wonders. This dumb down shit is probably why I'll never get into this game, sadly. Maybe some mods would introduce more techs, unit, buildings, etc. to flesh out the eras? I don't know what could be done to city management, though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Frankly, with all that religion, social policies and diplomacy options added since the launch I don't think the game can be called dumbed down anymore. Especially after the BNW. Simplified city management pissed me off initially but all the other features made up for it.

The only thing that still makes me want to murder horribly the fucktards at Firaxis who are responsible for that decision is the stripped down movies - for wonders, technologies and victories. The movies in Civ2 were so awesome I still remember them even though I haven't played Civ2 for 15 years. It gave the game much needed color and flavor and sense of achievement. In Civ5 you play a huge, epic game for several weeks and all you got in the end is a stupid doodle.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What was dumbed down for city management? This is a genuine question. I haven't played Civ IV in years. My main problems with Civ V have to do with the UI. It takes too many clicks to do things and I don't like how you have to turn on the production queue and expand that list to see which tiles are being worked. I'll pre-order Brave New World when I get home.

Personally, I was glad to see stacks of doom and suicidal artillery go away.

Regvard

Arcane
Yeah, I loved those construction vids for Civ 4 wonders. This dumb down shit is probably why I'll never get into this game, sadly. Maybe some mods would introduce more techs, unit, buildings, etc. to flesh out the eras? I don't know what could be done to city management, though.

Hagia Sophia shown being built with Minarets included. :roll:

Disgruntled

Savant
Bought it in last year's sale... It looks like I could have saved the money for a weekend play-through. I was disappointed with the linearity of all things. Felt like my choice of tech/culture/etc all funneled into one optimal route with a small time deviance here and there.

Maybe I just played it wrong, but I expected something that would give me infinite replays instead of the one where I turtled for 30 hours.

Delterius

Arcane
Also no "Pracinhas" instead of :obviously: bandeirantes.

The bandeirantes really make no sense with the way the civ was set up. Brasil is about fighting wars for prestige/happiness to ultimately bring down a culture victory. I think this is interesting because of how intricate the civ turned out to be.

Besides, I think feats of exploration tied to the maritime expansion are just more interesting for the european nations. Obviously, its part of our joint history with Portugal, but even so.

But, ultimately, its not like you can actually see Pedro being Brasil yourself. Which is an aspect I always disliked in Civ.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom