Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News More Aliens RPG: A gameplay video appears!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Aliens: Crucible; Obsidian Entertainment; Sega

Follow on the heels of the animation reel discovered yesterday, the website Unseen64, which is dedicated to reporting on cancelled videogames, somehow acquired a mysterious 13 minute Aliens: Crucible gameplay video.

It appears to be a garden variety Mass Effect/Alpha Protocol-style console RPG. Keep in mind though that the existence of aliens with human soundsets means that this was far from a finished game.

UPDATE: Former Obsidian developer (and frequent Codex contributor) Anthony Davis had a few words to say about the cancelled game.

Larendav

Educated
Even though it's a hybrid between Mass Defect & Alpha Popamole, I'd take it over that piece of shit abortion known as Aliens: Colonial Marines any day.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Anthony Davis made a post about it in the other thread. Can you update the OP Infinitron?

Edit: Just saw your post asking Davis for permission ;)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why has the acid blood been nerfed so badly? The little amount they spill melts through how many inches of steel?

Also, it looks like it's really hard to keep track of what's going on around you. Not in a good way like the chaos of battle, but just a really small field of view for no reason.

tindrli

Arcane
Bros, that was. a lamest "and i mean THE WORST " WE' VE GOT INCOMING" from 00:15 EVER :deadhorse: ..shit.. who hire those people.. i mean, WTF!!!!....it is so bad that im seriously considering not to use that word ever again.. i just couldn't watch any more...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Rumor has it SEGA asked for a video showcasing the combat.

They got this.

R.I.P. Aliens rpg.

:salute:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Bros, that was. a lamest "and i mean THE WORST " WE' VE GOT INCOMING" from 00:15 EVER :deadhorse: ..shit.. who hire those people.. i mean, WTF!!!!....it is so bad that im seriously considering not to use that word ever again.. i just couldn't watch any more...

Voice Acting was probably placeholder.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
The engine looks nice apart from the first person viewpoint. As for an RPG set in the Alien universe, I think it would be difficult to make that work.

tindrli

Arcane

Voice Acting was probably placeholder.

It is a motherfucking ALIEN god damnit.. you just can not use any placeholders .. its just sad

The engine looks nice apart from the first person viewpoint. As for an RPG set in the Alien universe, I think it would be difficult to make that work.

ITS A GOD DAMN ALIEN!!!!.. it could be done beautifully.. fuckin retards..

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
it didn't look that bad, considering that it was probably just an alpha build - but the cancelation came without surprise. compared to the first vids/pics of colon marines crucible appears like utter shit.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Not sure what you two are talking about. No offense to Anthony but that looked... horrifying. Absolutely not what I had in mind when reading all the previous info about the game.

At this point I'm actually glad it'll never see the light of day. If it wasn't going to be done in TB, or at least in RTwP, and if it wasn't going to be isometric, but rather in that ridiculous... like, what, one-quarter OTS view???... then forget it. It would've been very disappointing.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It would be stupid to criticize this thing from a technical standpoint.
Having said that, it appears to have a very forgiving gameplay, which means no scare, and no fidelity to the original material...

I am disappoint.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
man, that would have been much better with incubation style tb combat.
or at least less bad...

Duraframe300

Arcane
It would be stupid to criticize this thing from a technical standpoint.
Having said that, it appears to have a very forgiving gameplay, which means no scare, and no fidelity to the original material...

I am disappoint.

Pre-Alpha

Also, permadeath according to Anthony.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was kinda digging the vibe from the video. Obviously needed a lot of work, but yeah, pre-alpha. I'm still sad that this was cancelled.

Sannom

Augur
Why has the acid blood been nerfed so badly? The little amount they spill melts through how many inches of steel?
That was a face-hugger, not an adult. In Aliens, droplets of their blood can't even go through a human's leg, even though it still stopped the character from using it. In Resurrection, it takes all the blood of an adult to melt though steel.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
permadeath

LOL :reloads:

Unless it was going to have checkpoints. Which is another highly questionable feature, which I personally hate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom