Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News The Creative Assembly goes WAAAAAAAGHHHH

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Games Workshop; The Creative Assembly

1781_500.jpg

Yup, you read it right. The Creative Assembly and Games Workshop have announced a new partnership in which CA will be developing Warhammer games. And that looks like a plural to me. Little is known otherwise but thoughts of Warhammer: Total War spring to mind. Interesting. Here, have some pr babble.
SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON – 11AM GMT, December 6, 2012 – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Creative Assembly™, award-winning creator of the Total War™ series, and SEGA® Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop® to create videogames based in the Warhammer® universe of fantasy battles.
A new high-calibre development team has been set up at Creative Assembly’s UK studio to work alongside the existing Total War, Alien™ IP and Mobile teams on the first Warhammer title in the deal, scheduled to launch from beyond 2013.
“With this year being our 25th anniversary”, said Tim Heaton, Studio Director at Creative Assembly, “it seems fitting for us to embark on such a dream project with such a well-established partner. The incredibly rich and detailed Warhammer world is something we grew up with, and has left an indelible imprint on us as both designers and gamers.”
“We’ll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before. We’re bringing those 25 years of experience and expertise in extremely high-scoring games to bear, delivering a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love.”
“We have enormous respect for SEGA and Creative Assembly and have felt for a long time that the combination of the enormously rich setting of the Warhammer world, and their stunning development talent is a match with huge potential,” said Jon Gillard, Games Workshop’s Head of Licensing. “Now that we’ve managed to bring these two giants of gaming together it is safe to say that some truly amazing products are going to be unleashed as a result. We are excited at the possibilities, and are enthusiastically working with the team at Creative Assembly already.”
This first Warhammer game joins the eagerly-awaited Total War™: Rome II and the untitled Alien IP as one of five projects currently in production at Creative Assembly, now one of the largest developers in Europe.
Wonder if this means the end for the Call of Warhammer mod...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Never played a total war game and I don't care much for warhammer.

So why is this kind of exciting to me? Is it because I like the idea of a massive-scale fantasy battle game? Have I grown a brain tumor? Who knows!

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I knew that CA weren't content with designing "mere" historical war games that don't sell as much as Tolkien-esque or sci-fi settings, cause that's what the average dork with their 3000 comic books will splurge over.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted. I'm none too excited.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
I knew that CA weren't content with designing "mere" historical war games that don't sell as much as Tolkien-esque or sci-fi settings, cause that's what the average dork with their 3000 comic books will splurge over.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted. I'm none too excited.
They were desperate for a new setting(future or past)after rebooting same games twice(medieval,shogun and soon rome and empire).
It's good idea actually,warhammer has the most fanbase in geek circles that love strategy games.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Come on, there are many other historical settings that they can use without using the same old Rome, Medieval Europe and Warring States Japan. Settings like medieval Middle East, India (before and after the great empires) and East Asia are not only underutilised by CA but by the gaming industry as a whole.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So what? It'd still be the same old shit, just with different unit names.

WH:FB has the perfect mechanics for real large scale battles, not to mention very diverse army selection.

Here is to the hope that we'll see something else than the usual empire, chaos and orks, though...

Horus

Arcane
Come on, there are many other historical settings that they can use without using the same old Rome, Medieval Europe and Warring States Japan. Settings like medieval Middle East, India (before and after the great empires) and East Asia are not only underutilised by CA but by the gaming industry as a whole.
But most of them haven't got a popularity among customers.
I mean it would be great to have a game where we control muhammad or sun tzu but that would not sell much.
And having smaller areas means less content and that makes battles boring after the first 10.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But most of them haven't got a popularity among customers.
I mean it would be great to have a game where we control muhammad or sun tzu but that would not sell much.
And having smaller areas means less content and that makes battles boring after the first 10.
It would be worth it just for the shitstorm caused by depicting the prophet.

I agree though, the most representation India and the Middle East have had is uh... Age of Empires? But they are not really popular with Western audiences, so it's no real surprise there haven't been many titles dealing with them.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
And don't forget ancient China, you know, where 'The Art of War' originated and still holds water 'till this day? Nope, now it's full blown Blizzard-type of games. Wonderful!

Hell, they could have gotten real ambitious/risky and designed a WW2 strategy game! NOOOOPE why take a risk and try new things but remain historical when you can just make the same game with a dorkier setting!?

ColCol

Arcane
God, I know it's not going to happen, but I wish them made a Mordheim game.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This could be absolutely awesome if they get it right. Hopefully they will make it Total War style and not try to appeal too much to the Warcraft crowd.
Total War:hammer!

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
all i care about from CA right now is Rome 2: Electric Bugaloo...if they can make that half as decent as Europa Barbarorum was, then maybe, I'll be a grinning son of a bitch again and look forward to this more fantasy approach.

Kukulkan

Learned
They should move forward in the timeline to experiment with a new type of gameplay. Possibly the First World War with gameplay focused around trench combat. Just changing the setting isn't good enough and not enough new stuff is added to each iteration of a Total War game.

Horus

Arcane
They should move forward in the timeline to experiment with a new type of gameplay. Possibly the First World War with gameplay focused around trench combat. Just changing the setting isn't good enough and not enough new stuff is added to each iteration of a Total War game.
Trench combat is generally concentrated around squad based warfare(400-500 soldiers per map),and their strength lies in large army warfare(2000-4000 soldiers per map),plus there are enough developers in that genre.
But even though i said that i still wonder what would they could do in wh40 k setting,in my opinion relic's warhammer games(especially the first one) are the most suited to setting.
Warhammer fantasy universe would be better suited for their own type of strategy games.

Kukulkan

Learned
I always imagined the gameplay to be more around maintaining your trenches on the front, counteracting enemy attacks and tactics, and then optimizing the chances of a successful charge against the enemy trench and thus moving the line forward. Is there a game that does this?

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
just like Sid Meier did Alpha Centauri, CA should get creative and do something no one is expecting...go post apocalyptic, go futuristic, go fucking Atlantean...DO SOMETHING outside he box.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom