Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

7 Mages - turn-based blobber where you play a party of mages

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
indeed, you would almost think you need a MORDOR Charge Card....

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
no, i've only played Demise Ascension. morder looks sweet tho', i loove how it looks (i researched it when i was doing a compilation of all tb crawlers); in fact its UI/etc looks way better and efficient than the messy Demise.

question: is mordoer 100% tb or is it hybrid system like Demise?

Never played Demise, but Mordor has probably the same system, which is actually kinda unique, not sure I would say I really like it, it's kinda real-time automatic and the only thing you have to do is trigger spells by hand (played a long time ago) or focus which of the individual monsters you are attacking, really hard to describe as no game I know has something similar (and again, I don't like the system much and its def. not tb)

but, big but, the maps are perfect, I loved their design, large and intricate, countless different types of traps, different kinds of monsters with different skills, resources management at best (getting back to the city on your last HPs if you ventured too deep into the dungeon), really, if you like Wiz1-5 this aspect should appeal to you

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
OH boy! ooh man... yeah dude jokes aside that is the only REASONNN ENTIRE i lurved wiz 5 so much. its many horribly designed npc's and puzzles and backtracking were always doing their best to take away and demerit all of the incredibly genius level design and itemization and exploration achived in wiz 5's floors. thankfully the map design is otustanding (though there are better maps in other Wizardry games; i mean as a single game is what i mean)-- it is so great that you almost, ALMOST end up forgiving god for allowing dw bradley to have been born and you almost forget how annoying everything that was not related to dungeon-exploration was basically Wizardry zenith.

well... not zenith. that achievement is only claimed by the elminage series. they truly have evolved every single major gameplay system from wizzes 1-5 and taken them to the highest levels of polosih and refinement imaginable. but anyway, yeah i'l download mordor right now. you're not the 1st to say it's better than Demise, btw. i think p. much every single person has said mordor is better. just by looking at the UI/interface and the maps i can tell that evaluation is correct.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I gave it a try on a tablet and it worked pretty well (after ditching the gesture controls for the on screen arrows).

Nyast

Cipher
Stuck on village. Any hints ?

That part for me is the worst part of the game, easily. There's a bug with music being unavailable (confirmed by the devs) which reduces your fighting capacity by half and since I didn't know, my previous save is far away. Then there isn't enough rounds between waves to rest or to move strategically your mages where the next wave will appear, so basically when the next wave spawns I'm on the other side of the map and by the time I move my mages, the villagers are dead. It seems like it requires pre-knowledge of where the next wave will be so that during a wave you can anticipate and move your mages where the next wave will be. Wow, that really sucks. In addition, I'm stuck with the air mages wave ( that spawn at the north ), 3 of them casting lightning which is . Been trying for hours.. I'm close to giving up. I had no problems with any fight before.

V_K

Arcane
Stuck on village. Any hints ?

That part for me is the worst part of the game, easily. There's a bug with music being unavailable (confirmed by the devs) which reduces your fighting capacity by half and since I didn't know, my previous save is far away. Then there isn't enough rounds between waves to rest or to move strategically your mages where the next wave will appear, so basically when the next wave spawns I'm on the other side of the map and by the time I move my mages, the villagers are dead. It seems like it requires pre-knowledge of where the next wave will be so that during a wave you can anticipate and move your mages where the next wave will be. Wow, that really sucks. In addition, I'm stuck with the air mages wave ( that spawn at the north ), 3 of them casting lightning which is . Been trying for hours.. I'm close to giving up. I had no problems with any fight before.
Depending on how many healing/mana potions you have, you might be better off reloading your save from far away, unfortunately. There will be three more waves after that, so if you're low on resources, you may not survive them anyway. By the way, using potions and casting spells out of combat doesn't advance time. Only moving does. So before each wave it's advisable to replenish your health and mana and at least cast armor on all your chars (and maybe also invisiblity on the more squishy ones).
As for air mages, apart from them casting lightning, each round the one near the bell also rings the bell which heals all of them. You need to take him out first. For me the best strategy was to cast disease on all of them and then repeatedly cast control on all but one - but that only works if your dedicated mages are near the bell. Otherwise the best you can do is have the mage nearest to there cast call in - either at highest degree or just repeatedly, if you have the mana. Oh, and leave one of the fighters there for the last wave, you can fight the two waves in-between with 6 characters just fine. Concerning the positioning in general, after many tries and reloads I found the best option is to split the party before the battle, and position two characters near each village entrance (three at the bell). It kinda makes sense given the situation, but I agree that it should have been communicated beforehand, not found through trial and error.

Nyast

Cipher
Thanks. More or less what I suspected. I think I'll wait for this area to be bug fixed before I do another attempt..

Jindřich Rohlík

Napoleon Games
Developer
Hello guys,

we have updated PC version of the game (still in Early Access). Complete list of changes can be found on the official forum:
http://www.7mages.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1175

I understood your main complain was about the language and we take it seriously! This is why we hired another TWO native speakers, one for common language and one for RPG specific texts and we did lots of changes. Hopefully those changes are for good (also we removed ALL emoticons that are not working as I expected).

You gave us one example of what is wrong so I give you same example of changes:
flaming_weapon.png

V_K

Arcane
Ok, played with the new build a bit.
- Translation improved in some places, but not in others. The result is still awkward, but at least much less confounding.
- Key bindings. On the one hand it is possible now to use keyboard for almost any action. On the other hand key bindings can only be found and remapped in the starting Unity window.
- The single most overpowered spell (Acceleration) got nerfed a bit. Now two bards playing it at max level will only give the party 2-3 additional actions instead of 4-5. I will likely not play it long enough to see how this change affects things.

Johny_G

Napoleon Games
Developer
We did quite a lot of balancing adjustments in the first update month ago and slightly tuned it for todays' release. The overpowered speed stat got the biggest hit. Not only it's capped and acceleration is less powerful now, but it affects the fight order much less than before. Even if you have 5 turns or so, the enemies should still get a shot before you (if they're lucky rolling dice :) ).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The devs seem to have bailed, though that's probably just a result of the game tanking hard (2,000 copies sold on Steamspy). Let's hope that the same fate awaits Bard's Tale 4.

V_K

Arcane
Frankly speaking, I share Bubbles' sentiment. The original BT was one of the worst blobbers ever made and the early-2000s popamole thingie is the only revival it deserves.
#makeblobbersgreatagain

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Let's hope that the same fate awaits Bard's Tale 4.
What did Bard's Tale 4 do to you?
I'm curious about Bubble's reasoning for that too. General hatred for blobbers? Specific hatred for inXile cancelling your interview once the subforum started shitting all over TTON and the studio?

It's just the old quality vs. mass appeal argument. I can't see a good blobber hitting AA-worthy sales numbers, no matter how well it's marketed.

SuperSonicGd

Literate
Seven seems excessive. You could probably establish niche classes and have lots of variety with four. If you insist on making specialty classes and having to strategize or grind like crazy with no in between, six is still a maximum number before you get into redundancy.

I would love to see a video game implementation of the board game Epic Spell Wars seeing as all these indi developers love milking the idea of an all wizards setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom