Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
What you are proposing, DraQ, is a fucking reduction of possible games. Yes, games. I do not want to watch simulated real physics, simulated real npcs, blablabla all day. I want mostly games, with defined, concise and entertaining mechanics + interesting and stimulating content. I want to break from the real simulated world for a few hours, not experience a simulation of the real world.

DraQ

Arcane
coldcrow said:
What you are proposing, DraQ, is a fucking reduction of possible games. Yes, games. I do not want to watch simulated real physics, simulated real npcs, blablabla all day. I want mostly games, with defined, concise and entertaining mechanics + interesting and stimulating content. I want to break from the real simulated world for a few hours, not experience a simulation of the real world.
Do you want your games completely disconnected from every single aspect of your RL experience? Because unless your game is something as abstract as Go or Chess, you're bound to have many similarities with RL, you can exploit or distort freely.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
You made a black/white argument, also constructed a strawman that an abstract (I didn't even use that word) game has to be like Go.
I was specifically pointing to your beloved brand of games - FP "rpgs" with physic engines and whatnot = latest brands of ARPGS/shooters/whatever.
Games I would like to see more: Roguelikes with very good 2d/3d gfx, good sidescrollers/shmups, Games with abstract rules like gorky 17, not-so-epic strategy games and others along those lines.

You are quite often employing such "arguments": hyperbole, falsely exxagerating viewpoints and blatantly erected strawmen.

Please don't.

DraQ

Arcane
coldcrow said:
I was specifically pointing to your beloved brand of games - FP "rpgs" with physic engines and whatnot = latest brands of ARPGS/shooters/whatever.
Latest brands of ARPGs/shooters/whatever are almost precisely the antithesis of what I want.

I want open worlds, emergent behaviour, rich mechanics and tons of interactivity. In this aspect my wants are actually closer to games like Rogue-likes and OLD sandbox RPGs. The difference is that I want all that fancy stuff like physics engines and all the modern computing power enable new approach to RPG mechanics, making it more complex and detailed, because details are entertaining and generate interesting behaviour.

What I get is corridors, popamole, endless cutscenes, extreme simplification, linearity and physics used exclusively as a gimmick allowing corpses to be strewn about in a visually convincing manner.

If anything, old Daggerfall is much closer to my ideal of physics than your typical modern shit, if only because if I fireball some monster in daggerfall and explosion throws it into a wall, it will take extra damage from getting facefull of bricks.

denizsi

Arcane
DraQ said:
Aping reality has the distinct advantage of reality having been playtested rather extensively.

Tested and understood empirically, not studied and broken down to a fault scientifically but not because it's impossible or anything, rather because it's utterly unnecessary. If you practice fencing (or practice in a sports field), you eventually develop a very accurate prediction of the kinetics of your art because you have this amazing super processing power in your head that already abstracts your experience of the real world in a way that you can understand and survive through intuition. But what really happens when two blades connect, how they exert forces on each other depends on too many factors to simulate real-time. And IRL, few people get complete scientific breakdown of what they are doing to better themselves.

Seriously, are you sure you haven't just been glamored by the abundance of next-gen bullshit? Physics are still expensive. All that stuff called physics that we've been getting are just primitive gimmicks to make people go aah ooh. Even the simplest things like cloth simulation or dynamically destructable environments require considerable processing power when done above average. All the applications in games either look like shit, shit like the animations in Bethesda games, or are done in very small and local scale like in Mirror's Edge, again for nothing other than the aah ooh factor.

In the end, you'll have to take cues from the best processor available, ie. human brain, and do what it does, ie. abstract the fuck out of it, to the degree you feel is comfortable, you feel is reasonably accurate. And You can't just let the game physics do it for you on such fine details as melee combat because you have no fucking data nor even understanding to make it happen accurately. Ask yourself, how the fuck so many developers still get rigid bodies so wrong that they fly across the room or are static as a brick, even after 10 years of mainstream presence? If it was so easy, more people would get it right than a mere few, no?

DraQ

Arcane
denizsi said:
DraQ said:
Aping reality has the distinct advantage of reality having been playtested rather extensively.

Tested and understood empirically, not studied and broken down to a fault scientifically but not because it's impossible or anything, rather because it's utterly unnecessary. If you practice fencing (or practice in a sports field), you eventually develop a very accurate prediction of the kinetics of your art because you have this amazing super processing power in your head that already abstracts your experience of the real world in a way that you can understand and survive through intuition. But what really happens when two blades connect, how they exert forces on each other depends on too many factors to simulate real-time. And IRL, few people get complete scientific breakdown of what they are doing to better themselves.
Which is moot point, because there is no way to teach a computer to understand mechanics intuitively, so you either try to formalize your intuition and fail horribly, because:
-you don't understand your intuition formally yourself
-there will be many interesting consequences of how stuff works you will not even think about programming explicitly even if you would expect them on intuitive level.

Or you just try to model stuff using physics, which is an already formal description of how stuff works, at certain level of detail, and with certain tweaks and such try to make it replicate the behaviour of the real thing.

Level of detail is the key concept here, for most of our RPG needs, simple rigid body physics (which have been used in games for well over a decade), plus collision detection (same), plus added skeletally animated non-rigid bodies (extensively used for purely cosmetic purposes anyway), plus physical values such as mass, velocity (which are required by the engine anyway), momentum and energy (which can be derived from the former) being factored into mechanics, plus models with various attachments and parts with different properties (like sharpness) should more than suffice and be vastly superior to anything on the market.

We simply need to know what hits what with what in what and define what happens then based on various variables.

Individual 'critical' areas of body could have their own volumes causing certain effect when penetrated or suffering high impulse, armour pieces could have their own volumes. Everything would have defined material (determining how it would react to being hit, cut or pierced), pin strength (determining how hard does it need to be hit to break off), and some damping (determining how much of impact force does it pass on), models would have parts defined as point and edges that would pierce and cut rather than bludgeon, on contact with anything (unless disabled by special flags - like when sheathed).

And then, for example you could define partially predefined, partially procedural animations for combat, and for example have pin strength between characters hand and weapon be modified by weapon skill, strength, agility and animation, so that character with lower stats or in certain stances would be easier to disarm. Hell, swung weapons would still have its mass so you might even end without having to code strength requirements explicitly. Also, dropped weapon or detached piece of armour would retain its initial velocity and be handled by the engine as everything else, so it could for example strike someone and cause damage.

Seriously, are you sure you haven't just been glamored by the abundance of next-gen bullshit? Physics are still expensive. All that stuff called physics that we've been getting are just primitive gimmicks to make people go aah ooh.
No, more like enraged. They use shitload of physics for purely cosmetic gimmicks, while the mechanics reminds so simplistic it hurts.

Stuff like linear HP scale shouldn't even occur in RPGs or FPSes in this century. There are two kinds of linear HP scales - bigger than weapon damage, which fails at being proper abstraction of anything and causes HP attrition which is boring, and similar to weapon damage output, which is decent if extremely simplistic abstraction, but completely unfit for anything like cRPG or FPS, especially given that it causes a lot of random PC kills.

With even a simple physical system as described above you could, for example make awesome and scary zombies, that wouldn't be scary because of being physically tough, but because they would lack anything you could crit them in, so you'd have to compromise their structural integrity to defeat them with physical means.

Even the simplest things like cloth simulation or dynamically destructable environments require considerable processing power when done above average. All the applications in games either look like shit, shit like the animations in Bethesda games, or are done in very small and local scale like in Mirror's Edge, again for nothing other than the aah ooh factor.
Animations and physics in bethsoft games are crappy because bethsoft is physically unable to get its shit together. They are not a good indicator of current state of physical engines - jesus fucking christ, we're talking of people who are unable to model face that doesn't look like misshapen potato here.

Cloth simulation is already more complex than rigid bodies stuck to ragdolls and also happens to be rather useless. Destructive environment is awesome, but indeed - it's computationally intensive.

denizsi

Arcane
No, I mentioned Bethesda only as a measure of shittiness, not their particular use of physics.

To the point, all those stuff (which I've mentioned in another thread myself in response to you again), would it not require significantly far more work for creating the simplest of items? You'd have to assign a good deal of physical properties to everything in several layers, and for what: something that could be more or less achieved to a similar end by good old scripting and conventional design without that degree of reliance on physics? I only fail to see the trade-off. Too much work for too little gain.

Which is moot point, because there is no way to teach a computer to understand mechanics intuitively, so you either try to formalize your intuition and fail horribly, because:
-you don't understand your intuition formally yourself
-there will be many interesting consequences of how stuff works you will not even think about programming explicitly even if you would expect them on intuitive level.

Or you just try to model stuff using physics, which is an already formal description of how stuff works, at certain level of detail, and with certain tweaks and such try to make it replicate the behaviour of the real thing.

And how can you rely on physics for anything without understanding and explicitly coding in the rules of physics yourself? What you're talking about is still intuition, estimation. The physics we currently have in RT applications is very primitive so you'd have to make up a bunch of data based on intuition and tell the physics engine how to interpret those made up data. Basically, you'd only use the physics to handle collision, pressure and friction, the latter two relying on those made up properties of items. It's no more really physical than the mockup physics of scripted events in old games (eg. scripted pendulum animation of an object hanging loose from somewhere).

And back to the OP, adventure cameras rule, you suck : P

DraQ

Arcane
denizsi said:
It's no more really physical than the mockup physics of scripted events in old games (eg. scripted pendulum animation of an object hanging loose from somewhere).
It is. The difference is that it isn't rigidly predefined and is reusable. You get much more flexible system this way, and the one, that follows some internal logic without need for constant supervision and exhaustive testing. Yes, you do put in more work initially, but it will pay off latter. You don't even need horribly detailed physics - collision detection and handling, momentum, kinetic energy, some material properties.
Materials can be reused, and things like collision detection and handling will save you a lot of hassle when designing stuff like mechanics of combat with giant enemies - slashing their toes till they drop from HP depletion is not particularly interesting mechanics. HP attrition in general sucks.

Do animations as usual, instead of linear HPs, put several collision volumes within models, representing vital areas within body, use collision between models to determine what hit what - effect? Your party's rogue won't be able to kill a giant with any degree of effectiveness with his dagger, because he will not be able to reach anything important with it. He will only be able to cause minor bleeding and pain. Notice that you didn't have to script this, it's just a natural consequence of underlying mechanics.

Instead of trying to figure out rules and numbers out, hoping you didn't miss anything important, once you have a relatively simple physical engine, you're just playing with things that behave in more or less commonsensical manner, instead of trying to figure how is long sword different from scimitar if both do 1d8 damage. How much is 8 damage anyway? What does it even mean?

And back to the OP, adventure cameras rule
In relatively small, handmade environments, with little mechanics of any type (twitchy/tactical)? Yes. Adventure cameras are perfect for adventures.

you suck : P
No, u.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom