Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter 5 Year Followup On The Currie / Barkmore Enigma

Which One of These Human Beings (and Neanderthal) Resembles Calvin Barkmore

• Ian Currie, HOMO Sapiens & Jagged Alliance Designer ... Was Clairvoyant About His Own Future

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • Cleve Blakemore, Neanderthal Prince & Author of Grimoire ... Undying Immortal Creature

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Neither, I resemble Calvin Barkmore

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Calvin Barkmore is every Codexer who asks for gameplay without combat

Votes: 55 52.9%

• Total voters

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Come on! What the hell is wrong with Cleve's games? Obviously I still want an uber upgrade of the Vault of Terror game (disappointed its shelved for now). You ... you anti-blobber you!

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Blobbers are the lowest form of CRPG, Cleve. Here's hoping you make a good game some day.
Or maybe you are just retadred. Ever since I played Wizardry 7 I wanted a game just like that.

You probably do not even know how the immersion of good blobbers works, that the slight abstraction invites the use of imagination, which in turn can create a magical experience. Something like your "Theseus: Owls to Athens" cannot do that.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have to say, an isometric CRPG with branching dialogue written by Cleve sounds... intriguing. Imagine the possibilities.
people took me as mocking cleve, but actually i am the only one showing him how to achieve real crpg greatness. Forsake blobbers and accept the truth of isometric c&c tbs gameplay!

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I have to say, an isometric CRPG with branching dialogue written by Cleve sounds... intriguing. Imagine the possibilities.

I think cleve could probably make a decent iso CRPG a small team and using a ready made engine, but the thing is I'd be dead by the time it actually came out.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Blobbers are the lowest form of CRPG, Cleve. Here's hoping you make a good game some day.

:whatho:
Blobbers are the highest form of RPG, nothing exceeds them for immersion. Other RPG genres can be fun but they lack the true monacle of the well done blobber.

A really good iso can be awesome which is why I am working off and on when feasible on GAMMA ZONE.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Blobbers with good tactical combat are best.

Are there even any?

I tried Star Trail. It looked interesting on paper, but in practice there wasn't much tactical about the combat and it took forever to resolve.

Ladonna

Arcane

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there even any?

I tried Star Trail. It looked interesting on paper, but in practice there wasn't much tactical about the combat and it took forever to resolve.

Goldbox games, Dark Heart of Uukrul and any others that can be found in this thread https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...games-like-goldbox.146583/page-2#post-8410015

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much work done on this particular sub genre for a while
Well yeah... those games are only blobbers until the combat, then they switch to top down squad tbs mode. They're good because they're able to escape the blobber cage!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What the fuck is wrong with Bandersnatch? Why the fuck is he being a stupid fuck on this thread? Why does he give a shit I enjoy Vault of Terror?

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I think cleve could probably make a decent iso CRPG a small team and using a ready made engine, but the thing is I'd be dead by the time it actually came out.
Tentative release schedule for Golden Era Games:

2017 - Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
2037 - Armoire: Heralds of the Eldritch Abomination
2057 - Grimoire II: Wings of the Exemplary Heralds
2077 - Boudoir: An Erotic Text Adventure
2097 - Grimoire III: Exemplars of the Heraldic Wings

kA3m1cp.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Are there even any?

Goldbox games, Dark Heart of Uukrul and any others that can be found in this thread https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...games-like-goldbox.146583/page-2#post-8410015

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much work done on this particular sub genre for a while.

Those are pseudo-blobbers, like MM6-9 and Wizardry 8.
For the true blobber experience you need the abstract combat of Wizardry, Bard's Tale and Might&Magic. Of them I think MM2 is the most tactical one.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
There are rows in Wizardry and Grimoire as well, both for the enemies and the party. You can do things like hide in shadows, which is also tactical.

An advantage of this type of combat is that it resolves much faster than positioning each character and walking over to each monster.

The slight abstraction of blobbers is not a weakness but a strength. Some people just don't get it because they never experienced this type of immersion, maybe because they forgot how to engage imagination.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I recall the first time I saw Dungeon Master and was like whoa! But I was a goldbox whore. Then EOB popped out and I was just tore into blobber world. I blane my amiga,

As to Bander, i thought he might have been Bruce himself. I expect his bullshit in that thread but not spilling out of the fucking blue into other threads. It makes little sensebur as you say... his retardation seems to know no boundaries.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
There are rows in Wizardry and Grimoire as well, both for the enemies and the party. You can do things like hide in shadows, which is also tactical.

An advantage of this type of combat is that it resolves much faster than positioning each character and walking over to each monster.

The slight abstraction of blobbers is not a weakness but a strength. Some people just don't get it because they never experienced this type of immersion, maybe because they forgot how to engage imagination.
Extensive reproducible results show modern people have almost no capacity to visualize things internally and have no internal dialogue to narrate their experience. They have this in common with old world primates. Manboons with draining sinuses cannot into blobbers.

What is really incredible is that we could still be pretending we live in a civilization with an average IQ of 95 and absolutely no evidence of higher order abstract reasoning. Clearly we are on afterburner fumes here.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I spend too much time in the forest. Sometimes blobber mode hits and i think the trees are attacking. It could be the time of year where the fungi and spores fill the air. You can get pretty light headed and feel everything is off...

It is soooo like this in a way where the world shifts..

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron

Extensive reproducible results show modern people have almost no capacity to visualize things internally and have no internal dialogue to narrate their experience. They have this in common with old world primates. Manboons with draining sinuses cannot into blobbers.

What is really incredible is that we could still be pretending we live in a civilization with an average IQ of 95 and absolutely no evidence of higher order abstract reasoning. Clearly we are on afterburner fumes here.
pcs1.png

One race one love, my arse. Anyway Cleve I'll try to create a holdout in Western Australia. If I survive WW3 and fend off the Red army send me a physical copy of Grimoire.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of front page news, I wonder if Cleve ever was interviewed by the St. Cleve Chronicle?
DirkvdM_thick_as_a_brick.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom