Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Text Adventures In The Age Of Decadence

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower

<p>Given the recent AoD PR activities by different Iron Tower folks one could almost get the impression that Thursday draws near. Today it's RPGWatch which <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=162&amp;ref=0&amp;id=2" target="_blank">has been walked thru</a> some of the text adventures embedded in AoD by no one else than Vault Dweller himself.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Text-adventures are an old, venerable, and sadly all but forgotten element. We did our best to capture the spirit, but as usual, you're invited to bitch, complain, and make other helpful suggestions. For those who like to quantify things: this particular text adventure is 14,687 words long.&nbsp; <br /><br />You start the game in Teron, a small crumbling town controlled by House Daratan. At some point you may (or may not) decide to have a chat with Lord Antidas. <br /><br />We start by presenting you with all available options:</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Click <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=162&amp;ref=0&amp;id=2" target="_blank">here</a> to see the options and read the rest.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15854">RPGWatch</a></p>

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Oh-Oh that's a lot of experimentation. Let's see how it turns out.

For those who like to quantify things: this particular text adventure is 14,687 words long.
That's epic (Goethes 'Faust' is only 12031 words) :lol:

hanssolo

Educated
riveting, just like the previous ten times this text adventure has been showcased.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Will this be free? If it ain't free I ain't buying it.

trollface_small.png

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
hanssolo said:
riveting, just like the previous ten times this text adventure has been showcased.
It's been shown once when we did an LP on our forums letting the forum members take their characters through this text adventure. I wanted to turn it into an article and show different elements a bit more, but didn't have time until now.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
In before Lo Wang or the same stalkish poster with another witty name.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Release the fucking game already! I'm so ready to play this I'd eat Jaesun's spunk for a few hours with it.

Wait... That didn't come out as desperate, did it?

Wang Lo

Novice
Kosmonaut said:
In before Lo Wang or the same stalkish poster with another witty name.

Why would I bash on the only thing about the game that seems good?

Wang Lo

Novice
Kosmonaut said:
Because it was mostly written by your obsession, VD.

Obsession is a strong word. Go back and count all the posts of his I have simply ignored. I started off pretty nice, posting as lepidopterist at ITS. Then I get referred back here reading old threads and posted a bit before he pulled me into nonsense with how much heart and soul indies got but still tried to disengage, yet I get maniacs going on about how I am a troll and suffer butthurt, so I register as ALT267 and get "revealed" by second biggest dumbfuck on planet, VoD, who I suspect is VD incognito.

As you know full well I have been pretty tolerant in the past of him long before that, my friend.

But really we got this clown who 6 years ago came out and said this game was done. No one with a lick of programming experience could help but roll their eyes this game would be mostly done in a year, but who knows maybe it is a case like the guy worked somewhere and did not want to be accused of stealing code so he claimed a much different start date, or maybe he really is ten times faster than a typical very good programmer (which is ten times faster than average programmer).

But it's not his field so I would forgive that except the lying and backpedalling continued for all this time until in the other thread he finally admits he was just wrong. So, he was just completely lying this whole time. Here is the great VD, white knight of indie RPGs. Us indie guys will bend you over the table and roger you just like the other guys, but we got heart and soul! We don't need the stuff that is hard to do to have a good game, we just need spirit man. I am a game designer because I designed that the game should have dialog in it. I so smart! Look at my game system. I had 7 years to come up with that but it's exactly the same as many action RPGs or rather to be more accurate like every rpg themed mod some 17 year old has ever made in human history.

And this is from someone who does know something. I gave a tiny peak of throwaway art I knew would be ridiculed but you at least do know I was not lying about having a game done sans content. Hell, I was in a close to working mockup state years ago. People who do know anything also know just how few guys make their own animated characters starting fron skeleton and make technically tight anatomically correct characters. As usual I am sure VD is too much of a dumbfuck to even get how that's different from taking the awful character packs from torque and retexturing.

If they even retextured them, the skin textures are just fucking awful, no two ways about it. I can see they are slowly taking out the previous textures and materials which seemed to have some kind of emissions or bloom designed to make aliasing as bad as possble, so maybe it's not so much incredible cluelessness as project just moves slower than molasses in winter. But either way I don't count on this project ever coming out, and even if it does they will never get torque working properly even on current computers let alone win and directx 11 cards.

Every time drivers and cards change, the previous debugging is invalidated. So since torque is not supported even nominally any more it's like making a glass house. It's just not going to work.

Compare that to guy who pieced together his own engine, made and debugged his own game system, and has made his own animated characters from scratch and is making his own artwork. Then have this clown for the last 9 years act like arrogant cock again and again. And I started engine 6 years ago! Game 4 years ago! Well sorry, but yes I got fed up with it, but at the same time registering as ALT267 and Sick Bum is irony. Yeah, I am a bum. Like the hardest working guy on the planet since cleve in his glory days, if not so smart and uberawesome.

It kills me this guy puts himself out there as like the only adult on the codex or in RPGs, when all he is is the biggest jackass. Deep down the mature posters like him here really do think this is or should be a prestigious rpg magazine.

It's like airplane know as RPG is going down for 20 years. The trolls and wags have been roasting marshmellows over the port engine, and when the starboard engine exploded even tim cain bailed out of the plane, but we have this fucking jackass up front who won't sit down and shut up. All we need is the power of prayer. And of course for everyone here to give me some money. People who are humble never say they are humble, anyone who's humble is an arrogant jackass. If he played ultima he knows this, if not he is not someone who should ever make an RPG. Leave that to the couple guys quietly checking for scuba gear. Maybe we at least don't have to drown to death but having incompetent clown like VD make a bad name for indie gamers is the ultimate slap in the face for the few guys who might have a chance to do something some day.

But anyway, yes I am a troll, and asshole, and a butthurt bum. I am teenager who lives in basement and never held down a job. So are the dozens of other people who hate vault dweller and are sick of his bullshit. It's not like EVERY PROGRAMMER I KNOW is at least halfheartedly into RPGs and as if ever single one of them has not made some foray into game programming, however humble. Yes it's impossible there are people who know what the fuck they are talking about who read about this stuff. Actually it's easy to get messianic comparing yourself to the likes of vogel and cleve but then in bigger markets the indy games out there are a different story and I remember, oh yeah that's what I should compare myself to, real programmers who have experience on games people heard of outside of rpg sites, not whoever the fuck these weirdos are.

Which I would still not mind so much but to top it off he is actually gaining traction convincing people all it takes to make a great rpg is a skim of choice and consequences on top of a hiking simulator. And for that I hope he chokes on a chicken bone and dies asap. Or failing that release aod so people can see what crap it is for themselves and how his "design" philosphy is a big joke. But that game is probably not going to come out any time soon unfortunateli, if ever, due to reasons above.

I so enjoy making friends. Anyone wanna buy my game?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Wang Lo said:
Kosmonaut said:

Obsession is a strong word. Go back and count all the posts of his I have simply ignored. I started off pretty nice, posting as lepidopterist at ITS.
Good times.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... l#msg52031

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... l#msg52517

"You tried the demo, liked it enough to play several times and register to make that "the ultimate test is that I've played through at least partway many times, more interest than I can muster for typical games these days..." post, tried to make some suggestions without explaining them, which is why they were mostly ignored, got into arguments with the forum members, and now you're upset and feel that everything is stupid and the game systems are these of some mod.

Well, thank you for trying our mod and comparing it so favorably with other games you have played."

... I register as ALT267 and get "revealed" by second biggest dumbfuck on planet, VoD, who I suspect is VD incognito.
Shit, how did you find out? Someone must have told you. I thought that inserting "o" in the middle (clever, eh?) would be enough to fool everyone.

But really we got this clown who 6 years ago came out and said this game was done.
I didn't, but who cares, right?

Here is the great VD, white knight of indie RPGs. Us indie guys will bend you over the table and roger you just like the other guys, but we got heart and soul! We don't need the stuff that is hard to do to have a good game, we just need spirit man. I am a game designer because I designed that the game should have dialog in it. I so smart! Look at my game system. I had 7 years to come up with that but it's exactly the same as many action RPGs or rather to be more accurate like every rpg themed mod some 17 year old has ever made in human history.
:retarded:

And this is from someone who does know something.
No doubt.

But either way I don't count on this project ever coming out, and even if it does they will never get torque working properly even on current computers let alone win and directx 11 cards.
I thought you liked the demo more than any other modern game and played it many times. No?

Compare that to guy who pieced together his own engine, made and debugged his own game system, and has made his own animated characters from scratch and is making his own artwork.
:mca:

Maybe we at least don't have to drown to death but having incompetent clown like VD make a bad name for indie gamers is the ultimate slap in the face for the few guys who might have a chance to do something some day.
Must be tough.

Norfleet

You know, I keep hearing about this alleged game, and yet, anytime I actually try to verify this game's existence, I come up empty. Not a shred evidence suggests this game actually exists. I am forced to conclude that this "Age of Decadence" business is the drug-induced hallucination of the Hivemind, and has no more existence than does Duke Nukem Forever.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Kosmonaut said:

Wang Lo said:
Obsession is a strong word.
And yet you keep demonstrating it. Just look at this fucking wall of text that you wrote. Compared with you Azrael the Fag and Martin are just one liners cowboys.

Wang Lo said:
Go back and count all the posts of his I have simply ignored.
What would I win counting the posts of him that you ignored? Again, that don't demostrate shit, with respect of your fanatical following of Douchebag Dweller.

Wang Lo said:
I started off pretty nice, posting as lepidopterist at ITS.
That's cute.

Wang Lo said:
Then I get referred back here reading old threads and posted a bit before he pulled me into nonsense with how much heart and soul indies got but still tried to disengage,
I wish I could understand what you tried to say in that sentence.

Wang Lo said:
...yet I get maniacs going on about how I am a troll and suffer butthurt,
Maybe you are not a troll, but you sure behave like one. And your butthurtness is obvious. Remember, duck typing not only applies to Python, but also to internet posts: If it looks like a duck, and if it quacks like a duck, and if it acts like a troll, and if it's butthurt about VD... well, I hope that you get my point.

Wang Lo said:
...so I register as ALT267 and get "revealed" by second biggest dumbfuck on planet, VoD, who I suspect is VD incognito.
Here, we all know that VoD is a big dumbfuck, but we tend to not talk or write about that here, because he's very sensitive about that issue. So I'm going to ask you to refrain from making fun of him.

Wang Lo said:
As you know full well I have been pretty tolerant in the past of him long before that, my friend.
You are not a precious snowflake and the world doesn't revolve around you. And if you lose your temper and your tolerance, that's your problem, not his.

Wang Lo said:
But really we got this clown who 6 years ago came out and said this game was done.
Big deal. A guy either lying or being utterly optimistic about the release of a product. Please tell me, this immense emotional investment of yours is for the product (AoD) or the guy behind it (Douchebag Dweller)?

Wang Lo said:
No one with a lick of programming experience could help but roll their eyes this game would be mostly done in a year
Again. Maybe was unchecked optimism. Besides, I don't remember VD claiming to be an expert programmer.

Wang Lo said:
...but who knows maybe it is a case like the guy worked somewhere and did not want to be accused of stealing code so he claimed a much different start date,
Trying to pass your assumptions as statements of truth? I'm not retarded enough to fall for that, my friend. Please don't be a retarded and refrain from doing that.

Wang Lo said:
...or maybe he really is ten times faster than a typical very good programmer (which is ten times faster than average programmer).
Very funny... very funny... NOT.

Wang Lo said:
But it's not his field so I would forgive that
I'm sure he has been relieved from all the pressure and bad conscience after your forgiveness.

Wang Lo said:
...except the lying and backpedalling continued for all this time until in the other thread he finally admits he was just wrong.
Wait a minute. He admitted that he was wrong, and yet you keep fucking him up about that issue? Jesus man, just let it go.

Wang Lo said:
So, he was just completely lying this whole time.
For fucks sake. Either he was lying this whole time or he admitted his error. Please make your mind!

Wang Lo said:
Here is the great VD, white knight of indie RPGs.
Stop sucking VD cock, please.

Wang Lo said:
Us indie guys will bend you over the table and roger you just like the other guys, but we got heart and soul!
And my sword! And my axe!

Wang Lo said:
We don't need the stuff that is hard to do to have a good game, we just need spirit man.
Pretty much. Specially when he's not doing the programming, but another guy that has demonstrated to be pretty competent at it.

Wang Lo said:
I am a game designer because I designed that the game should have dialog in it.
Yes, a game designer, not a game programmer.

Wang Lo said:
I so smart! Look at my game system.
Butthurt detected.

Wang Lo said:
I had 7 years to come up with that but it's exactly the same as many action RPGs or rather to be more accurate like every rpg themed mod some 17 year old has ever made in human history.
Lol, that's rich. Mod made by a 17 years old? An action RPG? Please point me to that mod, or action RPG that's just like AoD. And no. Just because you claim or believe some shit, we will just believe it too.

Wang Lo said:
And this is from someone who does know something.
Really? Care to show some proof of your competence? And no, a badly cropped, shitty image is not a proof.

Wang Lo said:
I gave a tiny peak of throwaway art I knew would be ridiculed but you at least do know I was not lying about having a game done sans content.
No, and here's where you are wrong. And delusional. Be honest. Do you really think that by showing that shitty, cropped, basically anonymous image, you demonstrated something? No, my friend. You don't. The origin of that "throwaway" shit could be from somewhere else. Maybe it was the work from a shitty modeller, or from a fucking CD with cheap 3D art, or a fucking russian shovelware game. Fuck, for what it's worth, maybe prosper did it.

Wang Lo said:
Hell, I was in a close to working mockup state years ago.
ORLY?

Wang Lo said:
People who do know anything also know just how few guys make their own animated characters starting fron skeleton and make technically tight anatomically correct characters.
ORLY?

Wang Lo said:
As usual I am sure VD is too much of a dumbfuck to even get how that's different from taking the awful character packs from torque and retexturing.
Yes, but you are the dumbfuck. You are the butthurt idiot that either don't understand or just ignore the fact that the fucking models weren't made by Douchebag Dweller, but by Oscar an other guys. How the fuck can I make you understand that, moron?

Wang Lo said:
If they even retextured them, the skin textures are just fucking awful, no two ways about it.
Don't be a fucking graphics whore. At least AoD models looks way better that the shit you unleashed upon us.

Wang Lo said:
I can see they are slowly taking out the previous textures and materials which seemed to have some kind of emissions or bloom designed to make aliasing as bad as possble, so maybe it's not so much incredible cluelessness as project just moves slower than molasses in winter.
So, we are moving from "VD knows shit of programming" to "VD knows shit about modelling"? Well, at least you are trying (too hard) another venues.

Wang Lo said:
But either way I don't count on this project ever coming out, and even if it does they will never get torque working properly even on current computers let alone win and directx 11 cards.
And? Why does it bother you that much? Again. Why are you so fucking fixated and invested in this game? And in VD?

Wang Lo said:
Every time drivers and cards change, the previous debugging is invalidated. So since torque is not supported even nominally any more it's like making a glass house. It's just not going to work.
I'm impressed by your psychic powers man! You also can fly? Emit X-rays? Travel to the future?

Wang Lo said:
Compare that to guy who pieced together his own engine, made and debugged his own game system, and has made his own animated characters from scratch and is making his own artwork.
You mean Jeff Vogel? Shinohage? Soggie? Yeah, they are fucking talented. But why are you mention them in this, your anti VD manifesto? Just kidding. I know you are talking about yourself. But I'm telling you this. I don't fucking believe you. Your fucking vapid, empty words don't convince shit on me. Show me a demo, a fucking video or your engine working, and maybe, just maybe, I'll believe you. Really, I prefer to play that buggy, yet playable demo, rather that believe all this shit that your delusional ass is excreting.

Wang Lo said:
Then have this clown for the last 9 years act like arrogant cock again and again.
Cock... cock. You sure are fucking hungry right?

Wang Lo said:
And I started engine 6 years ago! Game 4 years ago!
I don't believe you moron. Stop the lies, start the truth.

Wang Lo said:
Well sorry, but yes I got fed up with it
Yeah. I pretty much imagine that stalking VD and not getting what you wanted frustrated you.

Wang Lo said:
...but at the same time registering as ALT267 and Sick Bum is irony.
Yeah, I'm fucking rolling on the floor. :roll:

Wang Lo said:
Yeah, I am a bum.
:thumbsup:

Wang Lo said:
Like the hardest working guy on the planet since cleve in his glory days, if not so smart and uberawesome.
If you say so.

Wang Lo said:
It kills me this guy puts himself out there as like the only adult on the codex or in RPGs, when all he is is the biggest jackass.
Everybody here knows how much of a jerkass, moron, asshole, pretentious, annoying, bad administrator, cheater Douchebag Dweller is. Yet, it seems that you are the only one taking it personal. Coincidence?

Wang Lo said:
Deep down the mature posters like him here really do think this is or should be a prestigious rpg magazine.
But it is a Prestigious RPG Magazine.

Wang Lo said:
It's like airplane know as RPG is going down for 20 years.
You make worst similes than Dicksmoker.

Wang Lo said:
The trolls and wags have been roasting marshmellows over the port engine, and when the starboard engine exploded even tim cain bailed out of the plane
And yet you are working on a RPG, for years.

Wang Lo said:
but we have this fucking jackass up front who won't sit down and shut up.
Again, this obsession with VD. It is desire? It is envy? It is lust? Only you, and God, knows.

Wang Lo said:
All we need is the power of prayer.
Amen, brother!

Wang Lo said:
And of course for everyone here to give me some money.
I love to vote with my wallet.

Wang Lo said:
People who are humble never say they are humble
Thanks for the tip, Mother Theresa.

Wang Lo said:
anyone who's humble is an arrogant jackass.
You are contradicting yourself, jackass.

Wang Lo said:
If he played ultima he knows this, if not he is not someone who should ever make an RPG.
Wow, that's deep.

Wang Lo said:
Leave that to the couple guys quietly checking for scuba gear.
Huh?

Wang Lo said:
Maybe we at least don't have to drown to death but having incompetent clown like VD make a bad name for indie gamers is the ultimate slap in the face for the few guys who might have a chance to do something some day.
And why? Why are you giving too much credit to VD? Why are you implying that he's the only face of the Indie RPG scene? Why he gives a bad name to a whole genre?

Wang Lo said:
But anyway, yes I am a troll, and asshole, and a butthurt bum.
Well, at least you accepted it. That's the first step to recovery.

Wang Lo said:
I am teenager who lives in basement and never held down a job.
Big deal. You are pretty much describing the whole Codex.

Wang Lo said:
So are the dozens of other people who hate vault dweller and are sick of his bullshit.
Really? People hates other people over the internet? Wow, what a fucking bunch of shallow jerks!

Wang Lo said:
It's not like EVERY PROGRAMMER I KNOW is at least halfheartedly into RPGs and as if ever single one of them has not made some foray into game programming, however humble.
And this has relevance? How?

Wang Lo said:
Yes it's impossible there are people who know what the fuck they are talking about who read about this stuff.
No, is not impossible, just look at the ITS team. :trollface:

Wang Lo said:
Actually it's easy to get messianic comparing yourself to the likes of vogel and cleve
But Vogel is a messiah.

Wang Lo said:
but then in bigger markets the indy games out there are a different story and I remember, oh yeah that's what I should compare myself to, real programmers who have experience on games people heard of outside of rpg sites, not whoever the fuck these weirdos are.
Care to tell me the names of these games?

Wang Lo said:
Which I would still not mind so much but to top it off he is actually gaining traction convincing people all it takes to make a great rpg is a skim of choice and consequences on top of a hiking simulator.
And you are envious because your gray, generic ass will never get the traction he can have?

Wang Lo said:
And for that I hope he chokes on a chicken bone and dies asap.
Thanks for demonstrating that you are just a sad, bitter gray person with inferiority complex.

Wang Lo said:
Or failing that release aod so people can see what crap it is for themselves and how his "design" philosphy is a big joke.
You wish... you wish.

Wang Lo said:
But that game is probably not going to come out any time soon unfortunateli, if ever, due to reasons above.
But yet, could probably come out.

Wang Lo said:
I so enjoy making friends. Anyone wanna buy my game?
First, show us your fucking game dumbass.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Kosmonaut said:
Here, we all know that VoD is a big dumbfuck, but we tend to not talk or write about that here, because he's very sensitive about that issue. So I'm going to ask you to refrain from making fun of him.

Thanks for caring about my feelings, Kosmo.
The love runs still strong between the two of us.
:love:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Wang Lo said:

Can anyone confirm/deny it?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why did a thread about text adventures spawn TRU-Codexian-Drama(tm)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom