Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Good Old Games Relaunching

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt

<p>Brother None <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99849-good-old-games-is-relaunching.html" target="_blank">reports what's going</a> on in the GoG press conference concerning the downtime over the last few days:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The Good Old Games press conference is ongoing, and it has been revealed that Good Old Games is relaunching, adding Baldur's Gate to its catalog. No real explanation was offered for the downtime other than "technical issues", though they do admit "it was a mistake, a technical mistake". Here are my notes:<br /><br />GOG is being relaunched 1 pm GMT tomorrow with a graphical overhaul, making it easier for new users to register, with no email confirmation, and only a username, e-mail, password and birthday needed. See the details on some of the additions below. <br /><br /> The "great surprise" for their upcoming two-year anniversary is the addition of Baldur's Gate and its Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack for $9.99. <br /><br /> New features include a mini-catologue divided by gaming genres, a community overview at the bottom of the page with GOGmixes, ratings and discussions, in a quick overview for purchasers. The games catalogue has been overhauled to make searching for games and genres easier. <br /><br /> GOGMixes are the "biggest" new feature: they're a list of titles with recommendations and short descriptions from other users. This is primarily to give an easy overview for users who are interested in certain genres (they use adventures and tactical games as examples), but who don't have a lot of knowledge in that genre.<br /><br /> The product overview has been changed with some new features. Each game has a "what's cool about it" overview (written by GOG's testers, not marketing blurbs), the old goodies were discussed but nothing new there. A Facebook like button has been added, as well as a download time estimation. The community pages have been overhauled to be more accessible as well. <br /><br /> Over 150 games fully compatible with Windows 7. Other games work on most configurations but have bugs on some configurations. The games that are fully compatible have Windows 7 flags, others do not. <br /><br /> The presentation was presented by a bunch of guys in monk robes talking in semi-indecipherable Polish accents. The whole thing was somewhat amateuristic and disappointing, offering little excuses for the closure, only stating "technical issues".</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Guys in monk robes - could have been Jedis. Personally, I blame the drinking water in Poland.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Read more about GoG's <a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/22/gog-com-apologise-for-hoax-closure/">great trolling efforts</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>&ldquo;First of all we&rsquo;d like to apologize to everyone who felt deceived or harmed in any way by the closedown of GOG.com. As a small company we don&rsquo;t have a huge marketing budget and this why we could not miss a chance to generate some buzz around an event as big as launching a brand new version of our website and even more important, bringing back Baldur&rsquo;s Gate to life!<br /><br />We believe this title was extremely expected by all our users and PC gamers in general. It would have made no sense to announce it in a typical plain corporate way. Our aim at GOG is to promote the greatest DRM-free PC classics ever in a creative way and allow people to escape from the usual boring mainstream marketing. We are also gamers and this is why we played a bit with this announcement.<br /><br />Once again, we apologize for any harm we might have caused and we do hope people will keep the essence of our message in mind: GOG is doing things differently than elsewhere and yes, Baldur&rsquo;s Gate is finally back (with more great releases to come)! We are working hard to provide users with much fun, so do expect some great surprises until Christmas.&rdquo;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99849-good-old-games-is-relaunching.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You might like to add in this for a full "we're full of shit and we're not sorry" angle

Silellak

Cipher
batman-first-i-was-like.jpg

KalosKagathos said:
Baldur's Gate? Are they going to rename themselves to Mediocre Old Games?
Oh come on now, it's not like they're selling Alpha Protocol :smug:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ausir said:

The whole "we also believe the industry has become really serious, really stiff" is so insulting.

Yeah, people didn't react well when you pulled their property without rhyme, reason or explanation. Man they're so serious and stiff right?

You'd have to be actively trying to be incompetent to fail this impressively.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
entertainer said:
i felt gay watching that video

Maybe becaus you are gay.

Anywho.
I have to give them props for trolling this many people.
A stupid move, but still. :salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Brother None said:
Yeah, people didn't react well when you pulled their property without rhyme, reason or explanation. Man they're so serious and stiff right?
This is one of these situations where I would've been less pissed off if they'd done it without explanation because they've gone bankrupt. I knew when I joined GOG that they might not be around forever, but unlike with DRM "services" such as Steam or Ubisoft it didn't bother me because I download the games the minute I buy them anyway, so I'd only ever need to redownload them if my HD died. Losing this ability because the company's gone down under? sad, but not entirely unexpected.

Losing this ability, even if it's for a week, because they're pulling off a publicity stunt? Fuck you CDR.

This almost makes me angry enough to stop supporting them.

CrimsonAngel said:
I have to give them props for trolling this many people.
Trolling your paying customers is usually not a good idea if you'd like to keep them as paying customers.

Bringing Baldur's Gate back to life ? I bought a boxed copy of both games + extensions at 9.99€ like 2 months ago, from a supermarket. They might as well bring cheese back to life.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
OH GOD I COULDN'T DOWNLOAD STUFF FOR FOUR DAYS

FUCK THEM, FUCK THEM ALL TO DEATH, FFS, I'M TOTALLY BOYCOTTING THEM NOW FFSFFS

r00fles!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think you might have missed the point of a reputation of reliability being your most important asset as a digital download service, Darth Roxanne.

Zeus

Cipher
Darth Roxor said:
OH GOD I COULDN'T DOWNLOAD STUFF FOR FOUR DAYS

FUCK THEM, FUCK THEM ALL TO DEATH, FFS, I'M TOTALLY BOYCOTTING THEM NOW FFSFFS

r00fles!

Stay cool like the Fonz, Roxor :D

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have to admit, as a GOG customer I was kind of pissed of initially in that I didn't have any current back up's of the games I bought from them. Now that I know it's not gone, I am no so angry.

This stunt was kinda shit, but it worked for them. Off hand, I really don't know how they could have pulled it off better (to generate as much interest and news as this way did).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I can understand people who were annoyed by the fact that they couldn't buy something they wanted to buy five minutes before it went down, but for God's sake, the amount of butthurt this caused is extraordinary. Really? They all deserve to go down, suck, are the new axis of evil and should be boycotted (or preferably crucified) because they went down for four days due to a marketing stunt? After two years of otherwise stable service? If they pulled something like that every month, I could understand the rage, but this is just ridiculous.

Now I propose you hotheads chillax to some quality music that is appropriate for this forum :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom