Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3DS worth it?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Eh, pop out. Pop-in is what matters in a 3D game. "Improving" the screen depth really helps, but pop-out is stupid.

Repressed Homosexual
http://kotaku.com/5837814/crazy-rumor-n ... ter-hunter

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nintendo is so desperate because the 3DS keeps flopping that they're releasing an UGLY add-on to add a second analog controller to the system!!

The system is getting a redesign. What a way to shoot yourself in the foot! The 3DS is cursed from now on.

What an awful, awful system.

deuxhero

Arcane
Don't see how this is a Nintendo being desprate, given its a Capcom device.

It's like complaining a third party released a dance pad and the system is doomed because it wasn't in the default.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Expensive POS that will probably have pretty solid improvements in later incarnations.

Apollion

Scholar
If you want a handheld, I would recommend picking up a PSP for cheap, one of the older models specifically, simply because they are so easy to mod.

Lots of super addictive games for the psp, Monster Hunter Unite and the Japanese only Monster Hunter Portable 3 (translation patch takes care of everything needed to play). Potopon series, Tactics Ogre remake, even the cheesy jrpg stuff like Phantasy Star and Valkyria Chronicles can be pretty good when in the correct mood.

The only thing nintendo seems to have going for it, at least from my knowledge of the DS, are some pretty decent first person dungeon crawls and the endless pokemon remakes if you're into that, note that I'm automatically assuming the 3DS is backwards compatible toward DS games, and that you don't own one, so yeah. The 3DS looks just as gimmicky to me as the Wii did, and from the looks of it the majority of its library will be simple "3D" remakes of older games. I'm pretty sure you could pick up a N64 emulator for the PSP and accomplish essentially the same thing.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The thing the DS has going for it is a super-massive game library that encompasses -- I'm sure of it -- every single genre there is. Almost all of these games are cheap by now, as well. I bought an XL-DS right before the 3DS dropped and I don't regret it at all.

If the 3DS ever gets that kind of bulk in games then it will be worth it. Right now it is an eye-straining gimmick with no portfolio to back it up. The 2nd-PSP looks like a far superior product even if all its own games are basic lower-res versions of PS3 titles.

Repressed Homosexual
deuxhero said:
Don't see how this is a Nintendo being desprate, given its a Capcom device.

It's like complaining a third party released a dance pad and the system is doomed because it wasn't in the default.

Err no, it's a Nintendo device. This information was leaked beforehand. In the leak, it was also said that Nintendo would relaunch the system with a second analog nub and change its name to take emphasis off the 3D aspect.

3DS is doomed.

deuxhero

Arcane
Oh please, "second analog stick add-on" rumors have been around from PRE-LAUNCH. This is no way adds validity to THAT rumor, esp given how it doesn't have any details backing it.

Indeed, if it added validity to any rumor, it would be the entirely separate one that said such a pad would be for a Monster Hunter game, not that one.

Oh, and the article has the Monster Hunter director talk about how it was designed. 100% Capcom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom