Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3ds/2ds worth the money?

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Don't bother with either handheld if this is your criteria, its gonna be nearly impossible to find anything barring Sony's small first party lineup for the Vita (which is pretty much all shit outside of the Desu Desu stuff like Soul Sacrifice).

Yeah, if those are the criteria, then an Android tablet or an iPad are probably better choices, as there are at least some PC RPGs that have been ported over (BG series, Icewind Dale, KOTOR, Avernum). Original content on those platforms isn't anything to write home about, although The Quest Gold on iOS is decent enough.
I could find some interesting games for NDS, like Orcs & Elves, Mazes of Fate or The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Nothing like these for the current generation?

Orcs & Elves was pretty fun. How are the other two?

Don Peste

Arcane
Don't bother with either handheld if this is your criteria, its gonna be nearly impossible to find anything barring Sony's small first party lineup for the Vita (which is pretty much all shit outside of the Desu Desu stuff like Soul Sacrifice).

Yeah, if those are the criteria, then an Android tablet or an iPad are probably better choices, as there are at least some PC RPGs that have been ported over (BG series, Icewind Dale, KOTOR, Avernum). Original content on those platforms isn't anything to write home about, although The Quest Gold on iOS is decent enough.
I could find some interesting games for NDS, like Orcs & Elves, Mazes of Fate or The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Nothing like these for the current generation?

Orcs & Elves was pretty fun. How are the other two?
Well, they're small, simple games. I think Orcs & Elves is the best of the three.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Anyone still using their 3DS? Aside from CFW apparently becoming hell of a lot easier to install and use, there's stuff like freeShop.

This is homebrew software designed to imitate Nintendo's eShop. It allows you to browse and search games, and download ones you own (i.e. games for which you have the titlekey).

So, let's see if I got this right - you can not only play games for free but also download them from Nintendo's own servers? :dance:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Anyone still using their 3DS? Aside from CFW apparently becoming hell of a lot easier to install and use, there's stuff like freeShop.

I got 500 hours out of it for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and 200 for MH4U, but I haven't finished G rank in 4U or played it for a while. I'm not really getting much use out of my 2DS.

Amn Nom

Learned

Here and there. I bought the New 3DS as an excuse to get Hyrule Warriors Legends. Really fun brainless game to play on downtime at university. Other then that I still have Devil Survivor 1, Fire Emblem Birthright (I bought the special edition and have cleared Conquest/Revelation already), and Crimson Shroud as a backlog for it.

All in all it probably has the most playtime on a system next to my PC.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Here and there. I bought the New 3DS as an excuse to get Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Is it just me or did they drop the idea of making games specifically for the New 3DS like a rock after launch? Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is still the only game that absolutely cannot be played on the old model, right? Although Hyrule Warriors Legends pretty much requires the new model to run at decent framerate.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It is possible I posted here before, but whatever.

The best DS game, which came out at the end of its lifecycle, was GTA: Chinatown Wars. Which, ironically, is one of the best games you can run on a 3DS, even if looks like shit due to Nintendo's shitty upscaling now. Considering the DS hardware, it was one of the most stunning coding achievements I've ever seen.

The best 3DS game came out at launch. It was that Ghost Recon turn-based combat game. Which was initially being made for the DS anyway.

Everything else... well, there are a few half-assed attempts at AAA titles (Resident Evil: Awful Controls, and Batman: What Difficulty Curve?), but really, the rest is for weeaboos and Mariophiliacs/nostalgiafags.

There's not even a proper Metroid FPS, just a shitty cash-in.

The DS even had a fucking Mech game, and yes, it was simplified, but it was still fun. It had voiced objectives, different mech and weapon types, and you could hop in and out of mechs in the actual battlefield. There was far more variety, it's like the third-party developers were actually encouraged.

But the 3DS has completely abandoned any notion of appealing to non-fetishist adults that DS still tried to honor. It's all about the Japanese crap, indie crap, Mario crap. And the most depressing existential game called Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which somehow lacks even the minimal charm the DS version had.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The DS even had a fucking Mech game, and yes, it was simplified, but it was still fun. It had voiced objectives, different mech and weapon types, and you could hop in and out of mechs in the actual battlefield.
Oh yeah, Mech Assault. I thought it was just a run of the mill mech game, but it's actually part of the Mechwarrior franchise. I never played any games in the series, but I recognized the names and somewhat familiar designs right away. The rest of what you're saying is nonsense, but yeah it is a fun action game. It plays out like one huge elongated vehicle level in another game.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Hey, I wish I was wrong. I spent a while looking for interesting 3DS titles, recent releases, top-ten lists. Especially now when I have to spend half the day or more in the hospital with a family member. I ended up with that Batman game from the local Gamestop, which has highly annoying difficulty spikes, and cringingly e-bought Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, despite it being crazy anime bullshit.

DS, despite its miniscule power, had an open-world action game in form of GTA. It had Clubhouse Games which had decent implementations of chess and bowling and many other games in one cartridge, with local multi. It had Metroid FPS, because Nintendo actually tried. It had Mechassault, which I had a lot of fun with. Its Nintendogs actually let you pet the pet, instead of its shadow outline (cuz you gotta have 3D, dawg).

It actually had a Diablo-like isometric game whose name I forgot, which looked great and was pretty decent. They even tried to make "Sound of Thunder" into a videogame, which was a bizarre thing, but again, it was something different. It had a Max Payne isometric game, even.

The DS lineup remains superior overall, I just can't find anything of interest on the 3DS. Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, all the crazy Japanese games where you control anime 5-year-olds, Etrian Odyssey series with its JRPG combat, all the quirky indie platformers ported to 3DS, as well as Mario, Kirby, Luigi, Pokemon, Zelda, can all go suck it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i don't own a 3ds (nor an NDS) but off the top of my head:

- smt 4
- bravely default
- bravely second
- legend of legacy
- smt: soul hackers
- fire emblem: conquest
- dragon quest 7/8 remakes
- dragon quest 11
- etrian odyssey 1/2 remakes
- etrian odyssey 4/5

in japanese:

- elminage gothic 3ds remix edition
- lost heroes 2

seems to me however that the better RPGs are coming out for the PS VITA in comparison to what i'm seeing for 3DS; in fact, there are so many out for VITA or coming out soon that i'm literally too lazy to type them all out in this post.

however for both cases the previous generation obviously had many more and also much better offerings, i.e. both the NDS and the PSP will offer you a better library of titles. however reiterating what i just wrote i believe the PS VITA seems to have a better list of releases pending for 2016 and 2017.

that final point is moot however since i think both the 3ds and the VITA can play NDS/PSP games?

right?

Siveon

Bot
Well, I'd argue why you would buy a Japanese Nintendo product if you didn't want a) Japanese things and b) Nintendo things, but that's just me.

that final point is moot however since i think both the 3ds and the VITA can play NDS/PSP games?

right?
3DS can play NDS games and the VITA can play PSP games (limited, until another hack comes out).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Well, I'd argue why you would buy a Japanese Nintendo product if you didn't want a) Japanese things and b) Nintendo things, but that's just me.

Would you like Sony to follow the same logic with their Playstation line? And Nintendo used to be smart enough to diversify their line-up, but no longer.

i think both the 3ds and the VITA can play NDS/PSP games?

right?

Sure the 3DS can, if you want them to look like smeared shit with crop bars. Because Nintendo in their infinite wisdom decided to waste money on 3D instead of proper 2x resolution upscale, which would've brought the screens to a semi-tolerable 512x384, and allowed DS games to look decent.

Siveon

Bot
Would you like Sony to follow the same logic with their Playstation line?
It's either that or boring AAA/indie ports. PS4 barely has anything aside from that (indies&AAA), VITA went full weeb so they do follow that logic (Jap + Dev Ip) already. AA exclusives from the west on consoles/handhelds are almost dead either way so it's a moot point. Not like Nintendo actually put any real money into getting Mech Assault made or anything, they were just riding off of that DS/Wii combo of popularity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom