Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age Combat Hands-On and More!

Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

Videogamer.com has <a href="http://www.videogamer.com/pc/dragon_age/preview-1704-2.html">a preview of Dragon Age</a> up that focuses on a demo of a combat scenario in the game, namely an encounter against a mage who entered into some Faustian bargain that is described as "one of the hardest bosses in the game." Probably spoiler-ific.<blockquote>The villain in question was Aldred, a warped magician who has sold his soul to a demon in exchange for some form of evil power. I'll never understand why bad guys insist on making these occult pacts, since they always seem to end badly. In any case, Aldred seemed pretty pleased with himself by the time my party of warriors had caught up with him, gloating and posing in the usual manner of tyrannical bald-headed magicians. A BioWare representative warned me that Mr Aldred was not to be taken lightly, since he's one of the hardest bosses in the game, but luckily I was rather in the mood for a scrap.
<br>
[...]
<br>
The confrontation with Aldred took place on the top floor of the Tower of Magi - home to a faction of important magi(cians). Aldred had been turning the local wizards into grotesque mutants known as abominations, and our heroes were hoping to rescue the pointy-hatted peeps from this predicament in order to secure a bit of future support. As is often the case with BioWare's RPGs, the conflict began with a good bit of chatter, offering the chance to express righteous indignation, a bit of cutting sarcasm or perhaps just a bit of cowardly mewling. Gone is the innovative dialogue wheel from Mass Effect, back is the pure-n-simple list of potential questions and responses. It feels rather old-school, recalling memories of Knights of the Old Republic.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Eventually, the big man went down - leaving my party to lick their wounds. It wasn't the most graceful of battles, but my gang got the job done. Of course, this was only my second encounter of the game, and once you've got a bit of experience you should be able to handle these scraps with a lot more flair and style. During BioWare's own run-through, the demonstrator showed off a technique called "spell stacking" whereby multiple magic attacks are combined to form a single enchanted onslaught. One of these, branded Storm of the Century, seemed to result in the entire room being swirled around in a howling tempest of death (and increased elemental damage). It looked pretty impressive, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Having completed the main challenge of the demo, I decided to have a bit of banter with my other party members. From what I can tell it seems as if it will be possible for a romantic sub-plot to develop between you and the foxy Leliana. In typical BioWare fashion, it seemed as I was free to engage in a bit of relationship banter when chatting to the rogue after the fight - either affirming my love for her or explaining that I needed to "take a break".</blockquote>I sure hope they were lying about this being "one of the hardest bosses in the game", because it doesn't seem so with a guy who has only played the game twice beating him in three tries.
<br>
<br>
Also, it looks like <a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/characters/dog.html">Dragon Age may be jumping on the canine companion bandwagon</a> with Fallout 3 and Fable 2.<blockquote>Dogs are an essential part of Ferelden culture, and no dog is more prized than the Mabari. The breed is as old as myth: Said to have been bred from the wolves who served the legendary hero, Dane. Prized for their intelligence and loyalty, these dogs are more than mere weapons or status symbols: The hounds choose their masters, and pair with them for life. To be the master of a Mabari anywhere in Ferelden is to be recognized instantly as a person of worth.</blockquote>Could just be me jumping to conclusions though...but take note...it's in the characters section, not the creatures one.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com">Gamebanshee</A>

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Edward_R_Murrow said:
It feels rather old-school, recalling memories of Knights of the Old Republic.

Old-school... KOTOR... I'm definitely too old for this.

Ferrous

Novice
As it looks like there is no summoning magic in dragon age a non-humanoid companion may be pretty cool. So long as the companion follows game rules statwise, skills, etc.

Zeros

Novice
Ogg said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:
It feels rather old-school, recalling memories of Knights of the Old Republic.

Old-school... KOTOR... I'm definitely too old for this.

Yeah, what the hell? late 80s-early 90s dialogue trees are what, greek academy now?

jesus albert fucking H. christ.

Lurkar

Scholar
I love how every choice was completely binary and lead to no difference in actual gameplay.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Gone is the innovative dialogue wheel from Mass Effect

I think Andyman's review said it best:

I would have written “Hot dialog wheel action” but I couldn't be bothered to mess up my fine use of The Clash songs. Anyway, I almost forgot to talk about this awesome new feature. Uh, it is truly a completely awesome, fantastically rad and new feature that BioWare developed especially for Mass Effect to, apparently, make dialog flow more natural. And I only have one thing to say about that:

No.

Taking a page from Bethesda's one word says more than two words dialog design (which, incredibly enough, Bethesda actually seem to have abandoned now) BioWare turned a dialog rectangle into a dialog wheel and bribed reviewers with several delicious sandwiches so they would call it innovative. I guess. As someone who didn't get a sandwich in the mail, I'm a little more critical. And guess fucking what; there's nothing innovative about the dialog wheel. It's just a fucking wheel, for crying out loud! They invented a goddamn wheel! Thank fucking God!

Let it be known: ANYONE who is caught ON MY GODDAMN WATCH calling INVENTING THE GODDAMN WHEEL “INNOVATIVE”, in the year 2008: I will find you. And I will hurt you. There is nothing innovative about turning a row of replies into a fucking mind map! Here, watch! Watch me do innovative!

dialogwheelholybatmanmayhem.jpg

See that? Basically, the only difference is that it is more discrete than a box but other than that it's really the exact same thing. As a system, it's okay. As an innovative feature, it's as fantastic as a freshly laid shit. If they truly wanted to make something innovative with the dialog, they should have made all characters communicate in sign language.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Gone is the innovative dialogue wheel from Mass Effect, back is the pure-n-simple list of potential questions and responses. It feels rather old-school, recalling memories of Knights of the Old Republic.

This... this is just... :|

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What the fuck?

They have already revealed who the main villain is?

These guys are incredibly shitty.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
KotOR is considered 'old school' now? Holy crap, I can't help but love the retarded xbox generation.

MetalCraze

Arcane
As is often the case with BioWare's RPGs, the conflict began with a good bit of chatter, offering the chance to express righteous indignation, a bit of cutting sarcasm or perhaps just a bit of cowardly mewling.
And just like in every case with Bioware's "RPGs" you still had to fight no matter what choice you've made.

innovative dialogue wheel
Oh my god I had to read what I will say and not let the game do it for me. Reading is oldskool.
The retard also obviously never played something like WC3. "Dialogue wheels" are old.

Dogs are an essential part of Ferelden culture, and no dog is more prized than the Mabari. The breed is as old as myth: Said to have been bred from the wolves who served the legendary hero, Dane. Prized for their intelligence and loyalty, these dogs are more than mere weapons or status symbols: The hounds choose their masters, and pair with them for life. To be the master of a Mabari anywhere in Ferelden is to be recognized instantly as a person of worth.
This is so generic and bland it is nearly impossible to read.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm so old school, I haven't even played KOTOR. That must make me ancient school.

Fyz

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
I'm so old school, I haven't even played KOTOR. That must make me ancient school.
This.
+It seems the story is so predictable, that spoiling it half a year before release doesn't make a difference.

Hegel

Arcane
SimpleComplexity said:
Kill the dragon, bang the princess and save the world.
You cannot kill the dragon, this game doesn't allow moral choices of that caliber. The dragon named the game after all. :cry:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:
Dogs are an essential part of Ferelden culture, and no dog is more prized than the Mabari. The breed is as old as myth: Said to have been bred from the wolves who served the legendary hero, Dane. Prized for their intelligence and loyalty, these dogs are more than mere weapons or status symbols: The hounds choose their masters, and pair with them for life. To be the master of a Mabari anywhere in Ferelden is to be recognized instantly as a person of worth.

Oh, come on. Pair for life? I think this implies one of the romantic options will be a dog. Bestiality is surely gritty, dark and mature enough for Bioware!

Hegel

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
MetalCraze said:

Oh, come on. Pair for life? I think this implies one of the romantic options will be a dog. Bestiality is surely gritty, dark and mature enough for Bioware!
This is the new shit indeed.

Moray

Scholar
Is it wrong that I think a bestiality romance is more interesting and appealing than whatever tripe Bioware has cooked up for DA?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom