Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline 2D Super Mario Games

What are in your opinion, the 2 best side-scrolling Super Mario games?

• Total voters

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Let's be honest here.
Whether we like it or not, in terms of success, Mario is the king of videogames.

This italian plumber had been around since 1981. Multiple great franchises have born, died and some even resurrected all under his unimpressed watch. He has dabbled in many distinct game genres all with success. Has been adapted into the silver and small screen with not so much success. He is known by almost every living soul on this planet. When you want to introduce someone to videogames, a Mario game is usually one of the first and best choices. And even for people with more demanding gaming experience, there's no shortage of outstanding Mario games.

Yet despite all of this, we - gaming connoisseurs of pretigious taste and scholarly intellect - have never settled the matter...
What are the best games under Jumpman's belt?

Now this thread is only meant to discuss Mario's platforming games and even within that group, only the 2D titles.
The way I see it the 3D games are a different beast and as such deverse their own poll and thread.
For this poll in particular I'll only allow for 2 votes.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I wanted to pick SMB2 because I love it the most but it's technically not a Mario game and I will probably DIE before they use Wart or Bomber Mouse (forgot his name) as a badguy in a Mario game, so I went with the easy choice - SMB3 and SMBWorld. I'm not sure how you could choose anything else on the list unless you just really like speedruns or modern graphics.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I'm not sure how you could choose anything else on the list unless you just really like speedruns or modern graphics.
While SML2, SMB2Advance and the All-Stars remake of SMB1 were my first Mario games, the first one I 100% from begining to end was "New Super Mario Bros." for the DS Lite
Now I haven't played it in years, but I have mostly good memories of it - in fact I can't think of anything bad about the game; it had 50+ levels, many enemies, cool power-ups, plenty of secrets (plenty of secret pipe skips too, must be great for speedrunning) and lastly Mario+Luigi felt good to control
Then it also had a shitload of minigames (that could've be played in both single and multiplayer) and finally the excellent PvP mode "Mario Vs Luigi" (which me and a friend of mine sunk hours competing in)
So while it might not be the "tightest" Mario game design-wise, it is still thoroughly great (if nostalgia isn't coloring my vision)

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm not sure how you could choose anything else on the list unless you just really like speedruns or modern graphics.
While SML2, SMB2Advance and the All-Stars remake of SMB1 were my first Mario games, the first one I 100% from begining to end was New Super Mario Bros for the DS Lite
Now I haven't played it in years, but I have mostly good memories of it - in fact I can't think of anything bad about the game; it had 50+ levels, many enemies, cool power-ups, plenty of secrets (plenty of secret pipe skips too, must be great for speedrunning) and lastly Mario+Luigi felt good to control
Then it also had a shitload of minigames (that could've be played in both single and multiplayer) and finally the excellent PvP mode "Mario Vs Luigi" (which me and a friend of mine sunk hours competing in)

The problem I have is they remade that same game like 3 or 4 times. You are right I missed the boat on this game due to being too old so I might have enjoyed it more if I played it as a kid instead of 3. That being said 3 has some kickass music that I doubt New Mario can compete with.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Voted 3, but not with certainty. Still remember being wowed by its ideas and variety when I was a young kid. Definitely not World. It was okay for a Mario game.

Ivan

Arcane
World is the clearest in my memory since I practically grew up with that game (born in 1990). 3 follows after that.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I cheat and say All-Stars + World. My World cartridge didn't save properly, but the All-Stars + World version did. It also includes 1, 2, 3, and Lost Levels. Yoshi's Island was also really good, but really different. It feels like a completely different series.

SMB3 and SML2 for me. Haven’t played most of the newer titles though, and haven’t really kept up with the broader genre since the mid 90s.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
What about Wario Land games? Would these count? I like WL4. If not, Mario Land 1 is a classic.

HansDampf

Arcane
SMB3 and YI, although YI doesn't belong on this list. It's too different from Mario games and spawned its own spin-off series. You'd also have to include YI:DS (not that it would get any votes). Otherwise, my second vote would have gone to SMW.

All the NSMB games are so mediocre, it's just sad.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why no Super Mario Maker 1 and 2 on the list?
That would be like saying the Construction Kit is the best Elder Scrolls game...

YI doesn't belong on this list. It's too different from Mario games
Still Yoshi's Island is officially defined as part of the "Super Mario" platformer series
All the NSMB games are so mediocre, it's just sad.
Like I said above I haven't played the first one in ages, but I don't remember anything particularly bad it
And I have impression of that game being harder many of the post 2010 Mario games
But I would like to hear your thoughts on it...

I wanted to pick SMB2 because I love it the most but it's technically not a Mario game
?
How so?
Personally it seats above SMB3 for me

SMB2 in the West (1988) is a reskin of the Japanese game Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic.

The true SMB 2 was a JP only release on the Famicom (1986). It was only released in the West for the SNES years later as the Lost Levels in Super Mario All Stars (1993).

Radiane

Cipher
What i liked about Super Mario Land on game boy compared to the Super Mario Bros games, is that every game world there has a distinct feel to it and also a unique end boss whereas in the Mario Bros games it's afaik always Bowser as each world boss and mostly samey backgrounds... In that regard, the designers really did a good job at working around the limitations of the hardware and created something pretty nice

I mean it ain't as good as Donkey Kong '94 but A/B that shit one weekend this summer and be clinical about it. The NSMB graphics are still going to suck shit but I feel even with the Switch re-release it is severely underplayed.

Derringer

Prophet
I liked the Super Mario Land games, the variety of the environments did help a lot. I feel about the same with Wario VB/Wario Land games.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The Super Mario Land games should be how they bring Wart back.
That purple alien guy is dumb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom