Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

25 best stories in videogames (Bullshit list)

Ctrl+F 'Oblivion'

If found, completely disregard list.

Time savers are cool.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Captain Shrek said:
Post your FIRST TEN BEST STORIES from the games
Sure why not. In no particular order:
- Planescape: Torment
- Anachronox
- Betrayal at Krondor
- Mask of the Betrayer
- Alpha Protocol*
- Martian Memorandum
- Daggerfall
- Rise of the Dragon
- Dragonsphere
- Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father

Ten games. Perfect.

Honorable mentions include Fallout and Arcanum as "indirect" best stories, as well as the Might and Magic saga if you take the whole story arc of 1-8 + HOMM 1-3 as a whole. Oh yeah, and Serpent Isle.

* :smug:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rise of the dragon and dragonsphere?

How... interesting.
You'd probably like the "Return of the Phantom" sceptic, it is a similar kind of game to dragonsphere, by the same company. Different setting obviously.
Rise of the dragon was a really punishing game (realtime adventure, and you couldn't turn back like the last express). Someone should do a lp.
Infact, now that i think about it, i never finished it.

I couldn't solve the bomb circuit puzzle.
:x

My list would be boring

Star Control 2
Grim Fandango
Torment
Sacrifice
Deus Ex
Blade Runner
The Last Express
Conquests of the Longbow
Azrael's Tear
Gabriel Knight 1
Kgb
Qfg (series)
ultima 7 pt 2
Day of the tentacle

Ermm

Erudite
Stereotypical Villain said:
Zelda had a story? Fuck, Blaster Master had a better story than Zelda... :/

Duuh, Zelda is da childhood nostalgia for like a billion people (I have played like 1 game on NES, so I really don't care).

You know what's BUUUUUUUUUUULLLSHITTT?
FF6 and Kingdom Derp beating Planescape Torment :M :M :M

J1M

Arcane
Series: Legacy of Kain
Individual: Deus Ex

Lots of honorable mentions like Bloodlines, but those are the top of the list.

waywardOne

Arcane
my brain won't allow me to think this is a serious list lest i murder the world's population as an act of mercy.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
My list:

Planescape: Torment
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Legacy of Kain series
Grim Fandango
Mask of the Betrayer
Monkey Island series
Bloodlines
Alpha Protocol
Deus Ex
Metal Gear Solid

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Elite
Frontier: Elite II
Anacreon (p. much any scenario)
Doom (/Ultimate)
Civilisation
Laser Squad

Anything else is just gay.

sick

Educated
Project: Eternity
i see people putting alpha protocol and betrayal at krondor, seriously? as much as i love those games for their top-notch storytelling i would never say they have extraordinary story.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
sick said:
as much as i love those games for their top-notch storytelling i would never say they have extraordinary story.

Does not compute.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
sick said:
i see people putting alpha protocol and betrayal at krondor, seriously? as much as i love those games for their top-notch storytelling i would never say they have extraordinary story.

I know what you mean (book of macros durr). I felt compelled to put BaK in there because the of the detailed world and the way the sidequests and lore reinforced the world and the plot. It's a really well integrated worldbuilding.

Where once there were three,
Now only are two,
Ancient kin ours,
Whom we sent to their doom.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll do the DERP duty and copy-pasta the list...

25. Xenogears
24. Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver
23. Heavy Rain
22. Okami
21. Red Dead Redemption
20. Grim Fandango
19. Planescape: Torment
18. Uncharted series
17. System Shock 2
16. Portal
15. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
14. Kingdom Hearts
13. Mass Effect series*
12. Shadow of the Colossus
11. Deus Ex
10. Final Fantasy 6
09. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
08. God of War series
07. Star Wars: KOTOR
06. Resident Evil series
05. Silent Hill 2
04. Half-Life series
03. Metal Gear Solid series
02. Chrono Trigger
01. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

* I don't care who you refer to, two games does not constitute a series, even if the third game is scheduled and in production. When it has been released, then we can talk about a series.

So... I count 8 titles on that list worthy of being there, but none of them are close to being where they should. It's not the worst list I've ever seen, but it most certainly is among the worst.

Note that how only one game is older than 1998, and that how the Baldur's Gate "series" is discounted in favour of one part of it, while shit like Resident Evil gets the whole series on that list.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
SCO said:
Rise of the dragon and dragonsphere?
For very different reasons. Rise of the Dragon because it pretty much shocked me with its handling of mature subjects and extremely gritty setting at a time when the closest thing to gritty was Police Quest 2 and the closest to "mature" was Metal & Lace. And the story is quite good, the mature stuff is dealt with extremely well. Sexuality, drugs, corruption... it's all there in spades, hell the drugs thing is one of the major plot elements. It has several parallel plot lines that eventually converge, some C&C (with some very delayed consequences sometimes) that can take the story in some very surprising directions... it really is quite good.

Dragonsphere because it has what I consider one of the best twists in a computer game. When it happens, it feels like it's come completely out of nowhere... until you put 2 and 2 together and realize the hints were EVERYWHERE, including in what's probably the 2nd action you take in the game. The rest of the story isn't stellar (though it's perfectly well designed and executed), but I just love that twist.

You'd probably like the "Return of the Phantom" sceptic, it is a similar kind of game to dragonsphere, by the same company. Different setting obviously.
I like both Return of the Phantom and Rex Nebular (the other 2 Microprose games with the same engine). But Dragonsphere was their last game on that engine, and it shows: everything they learned from the previous two they put in there. Aside from the story/twist, puzzles are very well done, the game length is good (longer than Phantom), and the whole thing feels much more fresh and original. Rex Nebular had some Space Quest influence, and while it was good enough to stand on its own I felt that I'd already played a similar game. And Phantom, despite being an original story, was set in a well-worn setting. Dragonsphere by comparison was completely unique, and the setting had some very nice touches and puzzles that integrated well into the setting (won't give examples as most are likely to be spoilerish).

Rise of the dragon was a really punishing game
Oh yes it was. As was Heart of China (some engine, also by Dynamix). HOC was much shorter and more linear though, so it was easier to know you messed up. RotD was quite open, with multiple ways to solve each problem, multiple times at which you could do certain things, and the bloody time limit (which was just for show in HOC - not so here). Great game though. Definitely worth trying again, and this time you can always look up a walkthrough for that circuit puzzle.

I couldn't solve the bomb circuit puzzle.
Bomb circuit? Do you mean wiretapping Qwong's phone line? That puzzle was a BITCH. Took me HOURS to figure it out.

Phelot

Arcane
My list in no particular order and with quick blurb about each:

Marathon series: Fascinating portrayal of the normally cliche "crazy AI" story line. Delves into some REALLY fucking weird metaphysical scenarios including time travel or different "paths" of time. Durandal and Tycho have some awesome lines, too.

Myth: The Fallen Lords: The story has all the amazing twists and turns of a real life war. Full of unexpected victories and terrifying news from other fronts. I remember when I first played it and I was trying to figure out where Bungie was going with the story. It seemed hopeless.

Wing Commander: Just for the branching level paths that seemed so cool to me. It might be more the setting than actual story, but I gotta mention it.

Pathways into Darkness: The concept of talking to dead Nazis, Cuban mercs, and American GIs, is just too cool and interesting an idea to pass up.

Planescape: Torment: The ultimate storyfag's wet dream.

Maniac Mansion: I just loved the set up to the game. Picking the teens, hearing what little they have to say. Maybe a comedy isn't known for it's outstanding storyline, but I thought it was pretty good. Just wacky fun.

Morrowind: More for the background lore and the awesome books, but the main story was fun as well. I especially liked the tribal dark elves and their burial cave.

Flashback: I thought this game had the coolest story back in the day.

NOTE: Not to many RPGs. Gotta admit, I don't normally think of most cRPGs as having that good of a story and for the most part, I'm not looking for a story. If anything, I'm more interested in the game's lore which I'm not so sure should be included with the over all storyline of the game.

Phelot

Arcane
SCO said:
phelot said:
Pathways into Darkness: The concept of talking to dead Nazis, Cuban mercs, and American GIs, is just too cool and interesting an idea to pass up.

This looks like a really cool adventure!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathways_into_Darkness

I thought i knew all of those.

It's pretty cool, though with a lot of action. If you can emulate Mac OS than you could give it a go because as far as I know there was never a PC port, fanmade or otherwise.

Captain Shrek

sick said:

Honestly speaking, AP has come closest to a true DE game ever. Its still a couple of miles away though. If the combat were less intense, the world more open (instead of simply battle/secure/diplomacy ground), the philosophy more profound (it is, but you have to really figure it out in this game) and areas less linear and open, it would have made the great RPG list any day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom