Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 2011: The Year in Review

Sub

Arcane
Given this much drama, I thought this was GD.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I'm not sure where all the drama is bros, seriously even the "OH SHIT SOMEONE GOT RAPED WHAT THE FUCK" reactions stopped several pages ago

RPG Codex is like "Les Cahiers du Cinéma" for the video game medium, with added trannies and stupid fascist fucks. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure that you'll have three or four future great game designers who will come out of this cesspool (certainly not me, that's for sure, I couldn't program my mother in C++). MCA being our Rossellini and Fargo some kind of Hollywood producer from the Golden Age, someone like Seznick or Mayer: someone who loves art and at the same time who is a bit of a crook: the best ones.

In fact, contrary to popular beliefs on the Codex, we are not in the decline but in the Golden Age, the forties for cinema in Hollywood. The games that we used to love from the eighties and early nineties are like the silent movies for cinema. Now is the Golden Age, with as much crap than ever before.

Fargo is a great producer for he still clings to the great visions of the past while also seeing the future. Wasteland 2 will surely be deceptive for the Codex (and I expect great butthurt) for the Codex is essentially luddite and it has the right to be like that, I'm also like that. But then I think that MCA & Fargo are much more clever than that: they will write fucking "Citizen Kane" and "Touch of Evil" and not only pay allegiance to Murnau or Pabst (even if, in the case of those two guys, THEY ARE ALSO MURNAU AND PABST, Fargo did produce the original Wasteland for god's sake).

Of course I admit that games from 2011 were awful: "RAGE", "Portal 2", "Ass Effect 3" and all that crap. But it doesn't mean that it's the GREAT DECLINE; "Risen 2", even if it was flawed and quite stupid somewhere (especially the dialogs), was a great game, much better and much less dumb that the games I loved in the eighties. From 2010, Fallout New Vegas was a masterpiece and Vault Dweller had the bollocks to say it: much better than Fallout & Fallout 2 even (and futhermore especially) if the engine was weird and it was bugged as hell. Nevertheless, just like Blackadder, I was disappointed by Fallout for I was expecting Wasteland. FO:NV>>>the original Fallout.

For New Vegas, I wasn't expecting anything for I hated this shit Fallout 3. And then I was absolutely flabbergasted, it was certainly one of the best game that I've ever played in my life, by far.

Just look at the comments on this game on the RPG Codex: people still say: "It's dumb, decline, the romans wear skirts, blah blah blah" but then they go back to roman references and really talk about politics through this game: it's as good as that: the world is corrupted, even if you choose to side with the pseudo-democratic NCR, the psychopaths Opus Dei/Allah from the pseudo Roman Legion, the money from Vegas or the dumb rock'n'roll bikers pretending they're Gengis Khan, it's all the same: you're screwed. FO:NV is a masterpiece, a very lucid and sad one as that.

Fargo produced two of my favourite games: "Dragon Wars" and "Wasteland". I also go back as far as "Borrowed Time" or "The Tracer Sanction" or "Mindshadow" which are great. Ok "Tass times in tone town" was a bit too "edgy", "rad" and all that crap from the eighties but it also had great things, the end comes to mind, with the quasi-infinite flats in an infinite building, it was very melancholic, Turgueniev-style. MCA did great things, it's not for me to tell it: everybody here knows what I mean. The two are working together again while not giving a shit about the publishers. Is it really the DECLINE? I think not.

The RPG Codex is painfully stupid sometimes, just like for the japanese: ha ha ha the japanese are dumb, weeaboos, blah blah blah. I don't like the linear structure of jrpgs neither but it's not a reason to shit on their faces. FROM SOFTWARE are a great design studio and for the case being, I'll shit on your face just the same, LOL HI HI HI WEEABOO. Just like the guy who wants to go to Japan (don't remember his name, it seems to me that's it's Infinitron): they built a fucking giant Gundam overlooking the bay of Tokyo and you can not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLIciIRK6jM

"Astroboy" is certainly one of the most melancholic piece of art that I've ever seen, it's beautiful and I feel the presence of the atomic bomb, as defined by its absence. And sorry, I resent the fact of being called a weeaboo because I love Ozu, Mizoguchi, Mishima, FROM SOFTWARE or other assorted artists from Japan. But then, I also don't give a shit, LOL.

Murk

Arcane
Codex. I had withdrawn, for lack of cRPGs and the conversation they would bring, and have returned to find... to find madness. Madness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom