Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2005: The Year in Review

Spazmo

Erudite
For the third year in the row, we've written up the events of the past year in the RPG genre and explained why they were a load of crap. Yes, it's time for <a href=http://rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=122>2005: The Year in Review</a>.<blockquote>You gotta love those Russians. They clearly love their video games over there, and so it's not all that surprising that they, too, should try their hand at making some games. Unfortunately, due to poor localization, poor funding or just poor gamemaking, the stuff they produce is all too often just not that great. Consider Metalheart: Replicant Rampage. This Russian-made RPG had a cyberpunk theme and was heavily inspired from Fallout (because lord knows we love developers who try to use the Fallout name to promote their own worthless games). Especially promising was the promised robust turn based combat system. Unfortunately, the final game was complete garbage.</blockquote>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Sure, it's old news about how much the Codex stands for lies, myths, bullshit, hypocrisy, and the rest.

And, also for entertainment.

Great read! :cool:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is Rextum really playing WoW, or is that a joke re: his waffledom.

Shevek

Arcane
Higher Game said:
KOTOR2 is still the year's best computer RPG.

Not if you consider Space Rangers 2 a rpg (it has stats; good enough for me).

FrancoTAU

Cipher
There a couple promising indy games coming this year isn't there? There's VaultDweller's game and that Ashes game by a couple Italian dudes that sounds good.

dagamer667

Liturgist
Yep, this year could've been far better than it was. Troika's death is definitely a major bummer. KOTOR II could've been awesome if it wasn't rushed for the #$^#& holiday season console release. PC version was released the next year, but console developers are extremely reluctant to make ANY content changes between different version. Even in the original KOTOR, many gamebreaking bugs known in the xbox version persist in the PC version even after a number of patches.

The only real disagreement I have is with bitching about Dungeon Siege II. That was actually one of the relatively few cases where the developers listen to what the fans have to say. I do know that I had a hell of a lot more fun playing DS2 than DS1 (glorified tech demo).

"You get skill trees that railroad you into one of the 3 stereotypes and force you to stick with one, unlike Diablo II skill trees that supported various and diverse builds, inviting players to experiment with them."

Ha. Experiementation only takes place whenever Bliz releases a patch and nerfs all the current popular builds. Then the search begins anew until the most efficient builds are discovered. I think the major problem with the DS skill system was the large amount of items that gave bonuses to all skills.

Levski 1912

Scholar
The Photoshop of the Oblivion box art was hilarious. Mostly because it's probably going to be proven a fact once the idiot-friendly product rolls off the factories.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I think the "people we pissed off" was supposed to be the tongue in cheek part of the editorial. I don't think it was meant to be pretentious boasting of "lookie at us, we piss people off so that must mean we're important"

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Well, it's nice to see a new editorial. No matter how pretentious, not to speak of that horrible "people we pissed off" part. That was just sad."

Come on. That was hilarious! It helps me achieve my goal of being internet wide fame!

WOO HOO!

LlamaGod

Cipher
I think People We Pissed Off is just a tradition and also a recap of some fun events around here (like Exitium vs. Cleve)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom