Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2005 RPG of the Year Thread

Jed

Cipher
Where does one buy/order a copy of SR2 stateside?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Man, with all the retro gaming i'm doing to make up for being a poor kid in the late 80s/early 90s i didn't notice how weak this year's crop of RPGs has been.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
I just realized the only real RPG I have ever bought is Fallout (Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and Freedom Force don't count). I think I am responsible for the crappy state of the industry. On the other hand, none of my abandonware is by developers that still exist.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Ok, I'm just getting the hang of SR2 - heading through dangerous Dominator space, not planned just accidentally, when doing my 2nd mission. I fight of a few small drones and then... it crashes. Darn, now I have to redo the mission including the tawing of a frozen Elvis Presley. Now that's a comeback if I ever saw one.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
bryce777 said:
Well, at first I did not think of it as an RPG, but it has much to recommend it as one:
[...]
Overall, I would say it is sort of like darklands meets pirates! set in space, with extremely good production quality. And longer. This game is huge, and replayable.

Wow, sounds (again) like I missed a major one! Hope I can find a source for it in Europe, some voices said its hard to come by in shops, and I didn´t find one when quicklooking around now. Really hate to pirate quality stuff that satisfies me, keeps me feeling bad when I throw dirt at the usual mainstream-crap thats around. :(

Zufuriin

Scholar
Has anyone found SR2 anywhere for less than $39.90? Perhaps cheaper on a CD version? Or is the game really worth it?

roguefrog

Liturgist
Space Rangers 2 is DVD only. And it is totally worth every penny! The Codex Hivemindâ„¢ should love this game.

Heres a bunch of essential links:

Qt3 Thread (tons of info, impressions, and some spoilers)
FAQ (lots of Info, a lot drawn directly from the Qt3 thread)
Informative Review

To Buy:

GoGamer (US Only)
Interact (Worldwide)
Red Ant (Worldwide)

Note - The Space Rangers 2 DVD also includes Space Rangers 1

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
FUCK. It just occurred to me that Cenega eventually decided not to distribute SR2 in Poland. Their page for the game mysteriously disappeared. :x

bryce777

Erudite
Frau Bishop said:
bryce777 said:
Well, at first I did not think of it as an RPG, but it has much to recommend it as one:
[...]
Overall, I would say it is sort of like darklands meets pirates! set in space, with extremely good production quality. And longer. This game is huge, and replayable.

Wow, sounds (again) like I missed a major one! Hope I can find a source for it in Europe, some voices said its hard to come by in shops, and I didn´t find one when quicklooking around now. Really hate to pirate quality stuff that satisfies me, keeps me feeling bad when I throw dirt at the usual mainstream-crap thats around. :(

Keep in mind for whatever reason it just says space rangers, not space rangers 2. It comes with one and two, though.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Sentinels came out, had to be over a year ago. Anyways, its great. Silent Storm/sentinels isn't rpgs in my opinion, but are great fucking games.

You can't say you like TB combat and pass one of the few games that has good TB combat.

And for the rest of the shit. Genforge 3 was okay, I didnt get very far, but I plan on playing it someday. Kotor2 was horrible and only for children and pedaphiles. The other games are all action games. I havent tried metalheart yet but seeing as it isnt an action game I'll give it a try.

Anyway my vote for best rpg goes to Halo 3 or Doom 3. Either or, they are both awesome rpgs. You play the role of a guy who shoots a lot. Awesome combat. Awesome.

AnalogKid

Scholar
I also think that list sucks. Kotor2 couldn't hold my interest, even though I dutifully fought through Kotor when it came out. Turns out, I didn't finish a single RPG this year. I even started using my XBOX some and re-played the BroodWar campaigns because there just weren't any alternatives!

You guys convinced me. I ordered SR2 yesterday and should be playing this weekend. If it sucks, who's going to offer to bend over and let me at least have a little fun, you know, since it's all the hivemind's fault...

Rina

Scholar
KOTOR II is a bad joke. It was all about pointless tunnel-running, pointless fighting with horrible combat system, uninteresting dialogue, absolutely no chances to effect anything, and to make sure that you don't enjoy any part of the game you were forced to group up with worst NPC's ever.

Sadly it's the best one of those games listed that I have played. :(

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"absolutely no chances to effect anything"

Stop lying.

Heirophant

Novice
Since it technically reached completion just a couple of weeks ago, my favorite RPG of 2005 would have to be GearHead. It's certainly the one I spent this most time playing. If the time a game actually enters distribution is too important to override it's completion, I guess I'll have to go with Mount & Blade. Not merely an excellent game, but an extremely good marketing model.

drexciya

Augur
Well what can I say other than that I think that Space Rangers 2 just impressed me the most this year. I think it would be cool if lots of people like at this forum or elsewhere could generate more publicity for this game.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
You're all going to hate me for this but after 600 gigs worth of patches and custom fixes Dungeon Lords is a pretty fun action RPG.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I vote for Gothic 2: Night of the Raven. I can't wait for Gothic 3. These games rule.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
jiujitsu said:
I vote for Gothic 2: Night of the Raven. I can't wait for Gothic 3. These games rule.

I played the non-english version of Night of the Raven, and it was pretty lackluster as far as "new" content was concerned. Maybe it'll be better if I can understand the dialogue without having my roomate as an amateur translator, Ha!

Whipporowill

Erudite
whitemithrandir said:
You're all going to hate me for this but after 600 gigs worth of patches and custom fixes Dungeon Lords is a pretty fun action RPG.

Stop with the irony already, that's been done to death in the best thread ever. It's either that or you're clinically insane... your pick. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom