Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic .

M&M game with best graphics?

• Might and Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum

• Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

• Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

• Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen

• Might and Magic V: Darkside of Xeen

• Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

• Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

• Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

• Might and Magic IX: Writ of Fate

• Might & Magic X: Legacy

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd like to be a dick and say MM6, but Darkside of Xeen had the best and most unique design. In particular the Voweless Knights still look amazing. And the cloud dragons are sexy.
MM6 does have a nice style though, a special kind of jank the later ones just don't have.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
MM got released in '86, MM2 in '88 (prettier Amiga port was released in '90).
Infocom was still publishing their adventures in second half of 80s, and they were not considered relic of the past.
Yep, I know, I played them. Still, most of adventure games were already graphic. Uninvited (1986), for example.
There was a lot of graphical adventures, but they were mostly drawing static screens to preserve memory, like Hobbit or Erik the Viking.
So they were not text adventures. Simple as that.
Maniac Mansion (1987) and Zack McCracken (1988) were progenitors of point'n' click adventures, removing the need for complicated input parsers.
:decline:
I think that VGA standard was published then, but the games that used it were made some time later.
Amiga 500 was introduced in 1987, but it wouldn't sale well until 1989.
The point is moot, because EGA Might and Magic 2 was still very cute.
But still, first two MMs were published in time when playing text advenutres was not niche, computer magazines were full of maps and walkthroughs for text adventures.
Only it's irrelevant to graphic in RPGs. These magazines were full of maps and walkthroughs for RPGs as well. Average modern braindead player could not even draw a map of Wizardry's first floor, so it should signify something too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom