Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry .

Which is the best Wizardry game?

• Wizardry II: The Knight of Diamonds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wizardry III: Legacy of Llylgamyn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Wizardry 7 by far, followed by Wizardry 6.

I have been replaying Wizardry 7 every 5 years or so and enjoying it every time. Tried to play Wizardry 8 again and just could not get into it. When it came out I also did not finish it.

Grimoire is the real Wizardry 8.

Jason Liang

Arcane
V and I are very close for me. I has some classic dungeon levels (level 3 and level 7 are classics, as well as the Monster Allocation Center boss room) but the elevator lets you skip half the game and if you ignore the nostalgia V's dungeons are better quality. I is not the ultimate dungeon crawl. V arguably is.

VII is audacious but the need to reload saves constantly even if you aren't savescumming is absurd. It's a great game and a magnum opus but the game balance is off the meds.

IV is a brilliant game but it's more fun to read Crooked Bee 's LP than actually play.

VI is a beta version of VII. It's the Rance 5D of Wizardry games.

VIII is a broken mess. It's the Arcanum of Wizardry games. Like Arcanum, I question if anyone that picks this has actually played a well-made game before.

Ryzer

Arcane
From I've played:

- Wizardry 7 is incredibly ugly , it's an orgy of pixels and being old isn't an excuse. Might and magic 4 looks far better with more details. Sound quality sucks except the main theme. At the beginning, combat is trash because you have 0 capacity( and not enough mana ) so you just keep spamming basic attack until the enemies die ( before you die). There is no other tactics other than that and it takes time to gain levels before the gameplay gets interesting . Far too much respawning enemies and the game is long. However the multiclass system is phenomenal and adds a ton of replayability.
I dropped at 5% of the game

-Wizardry 8 is where it begins to get interesting. The gameplay has been improved drastically. Now you are able to move and place your team accordingly. Levels increase faster than previous Wizardry which is nice for gameplay reasons. Unfortunately, it's extremely BORING. Way too much combat and it takes forever even at max speed. Story is worth listening to, I guess.
I dropped out of boredom at 20% of the game.

Wizardry games are not my cup of tea but they are appealing and I can see why.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The question is Wiz 7 or Wiz Gold???
975-wizardry-gold-windows-front-cover.jpg

156302-wizardry-crusaders-of-the-dark-savant-dos-front-cover.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Wizardry 6-9 are all excellent

Wizardry 6 is dearest to me
7 is objectively the best
8 is great
9 is Grimoire

I also have a soft spot for Llylgamyn Saga (Wiz 1 remaster)

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I would rank them

1. Grimoire
2. Wiz 7
3. Wiz 6
4. Wiz 8
5. Llylgamyn Saga

Honorable mention: Wizards & Warriors

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You can easily fuck yourself if you class change too much in 6 and 7. You will be lacking in levels, meaning you repeatedly get wrecked by status effects, and you will end up with a huge excess of skill points (especially in 7 when skill points are category-locked).
Single-classing (or just doing one switch) is better than it looks but you’re hardly going to get wrecked unless you’re very stupid in your multi-classing. And you’re pretty much priced into having to figure it out on some characters to get skills on time.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Wiz1 is a neat game for how well balanced it is (all of its gameplay elements) and the only wizardry game I’ve finished. 8 is great but I haven’t played that much of it, but it’s definitely an example of proper innovation of an old series.

Anything before 8 is for masochists though.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Anything before 8 is for masochists though.

Nope, you're just bad at playing them

Smaug is just a zoomer kid

he doesnt get it, and will never get it

- Wizardry 7 is incredibly ugly , it's an orgy of pixels and being old isn't an excuse. ...
I dropped at 5% of the game

-Wizardry 8 is where it begins to get interesting. The gameplay has been improved drastically....
I dropped out of boredom at 20% of the game.

Wizardry games are not my cup of tea but they are appealing and I can see why.

This guy is much worse

for the record thim bum was caught defending Skyrim and TOW

and once your brain is ravaged by such trash, you lose the basic abiity to process reality. No longer can you recognise quality or differentiate good from bad

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Why, Wizardry 9 of course. However, we can likely play it only in heaven, after we've gone from this verse.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh this is a very hard question.

I is really fun. It holds up well, is fun to play and if you take the time to map it yourself it feels really rewarding. The game has some design flaws but they make you feel smart for exploiting them so maybe they are intentional, to help you cope with the difficulty.

I don't have much of an opinion on 2, 3 or 5. 4 is really fun and very innovative - but also pretty short and limiting.

The new ones are a radical departure. But I enjoy them. I find 6 great fun to replay - just don't set the difficulty to Expert. Fighting double bosses breaks my immersion. The game is pretty and feels fun and varied.

7 is huge but I'm not convinced I could have beaten it without a walkthrough. It's just so insanely long and the combat feels slower than in 6 which I don't like. 8 is another radical departure.

I confess I like 8 the best. It was my first. I've replayed the demo endlessly as a little kid. The "personality" you can assign to each character is just such a good feature. But the level scaling feels bad at times; you never get any stronger. You just get more tools to deal with the harder and harder opposition.

I think I would have to decide between 1, 6 and 8. And I can't. They're all great!

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Wiz 8? Is that the first Wizardry I could not get engaged in ? All I can say is Wiz 8 was terrible. I never got much beyond the first 20 minutes and the graphics were utterly abhorrent.

I remember playing about 5 minutes of Bane of the Cosmic Forge and thinking it was so gripping I could not bring myself to stop playing.

Crusaders of the Dark Savant I knew it was awesome before I had even made it to the city. Just wandering in the woods so many interesting things happened I realized that no way did David Bradley just get lucky with Bane. He had improved substantially. I also knew it was super monacle stuff that was head and shoulders above the riff raff with the narrative alone. I had not felt so monacled playing a computer game since Darklands which was high art and distinctly striving for excellence.

When I got my first look at the dungeon graphics in Crusaders I really felt the win and spectacular goodness coming off it in a wave. I'm not making this up out of nostalgia. First time I booted it I knew it was special from the first few moments. Truly a classic RPG board game with all the good things from pencil and paper made 50 times better.

I would not feel that excellence again until the first couple minutes of LANDS OF LORE, which I still think is one of the best blobbers ever after the Wizardry series by Bradley. If LOL had been turn based it would have been perfect.
You warm my heart with that LoL statement. A fairy-tale done by artists :desu:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom