Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Speaking of blobbers, is Grimoire actually worth getting into, unironically? This thread has put me in a mood for some nice blobber action, but Atlantico's mum wouldn't pick up
I tried calling her as well but Atlantico was doing a solo speedrun of her.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
A game' genre is defined by the game's mechanics, not how you decide to play it.

Sure, game mechanics.

Have you played games like Might & Magic 6 or Wizards & Warriors? Here is Wizards & Warriors where your party of 6, including an elephant man, is carried by a single horse:

As you point out in this thread, there's no mechanical difference between a "party" and a single character equivalent in this "blobber". It's literally the same mechanical game.

That's exactly why "blobber" isn't a genre. There's no difference.

How is this a blobber? Plays exactly like any given "blobber", because the game mechanics are exactly the same.

Indie - Morgana - a cutesy-Lovecraftian pixel blobber

Only one character. No party.

And this is one of the main reasons absolutely everything you say on this topic has no value.

I don't care about your opinion. Why did you think your opinion matters? You've had plenty of opportunity to present a case, and all you've done is appeal to emotions.

Are you a woman or just a bitch?

It's interesting that the people who use it all have the same definition, stated multiple times in this thread already, and yet your Roomba level brain hasn't grasped it yet.

Then my posts have that over your posts; they're interesting.

Even so, you're wrong and there's nobody here with the exact same definition of the term.

What's with all these dumbfuck 300 post accounts crawling out of the woodwork? So many sockpuppets and alts or people who are genuinely retarded? We may never know.

What I find hilarious Atlantico is that you were so butthurt you bothered to go to a bunch of threads unrelated to this one and rate my comments as retarded. Hahaha, truly pathetic.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
What I find hilarious Atlantico is that you were so butthurt you bothered to go a bunch of threads unrelated to this one and rate my comments as retarded. Hahaha, truly pathetic.

Not as pathetic as a loser whose only retort is an impotent non-sequitur — nobody cares what you think. Keep sperging, shit-for-brains.

Blobber is not a genre just like how party-based isn't a genre.

A game' genre is defined by the game's mechanics, not how you decide to play it.

It's interesting that the people who use it all have the same definition, stated multiple times in this thread already, and yet your Roomba level brain hasn't grasped it yet.

QED

octavius

Arcane
Patron

As a gentleblobberer I resent this. For me blobber is a sub-genre of CRPGs*. Or more correctly, two sub-genres: real time blobbers (Dungeon Master type) and turn based (Wizardry type). And then there's pseudo blobbers where your party move as a blob, but in a 3D landscape (Wiz 8 and MM 6-9) or games that look like a blobber except you control only one character (thus no "blob"), like Anvil of Dawn.

*And of course most JRPGs are blobbers, but that's another anime infested can of worms.

By definition: A blobber is a large breasted wife collection game. The sole purpose is to collect all available large breasted babes and form a harem. Right Anonymous Wife Scholar ?
Thank you Merchant anon! You are a good strong 1% wealths friend anon! You are! I do love you anon! I do! You are a good strong friend anon!
2qAk2v1.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

As a gentleblobberer I resent this. For me blobber is a sub-genre of CRPGs*. Or more correctly, two sub-genres: real time blobbers (Dungeon Master type) and turn based (Wizardry type). And then there's pseudo blobbers where your party move as a blob, but in a 3D landscape (Wiz 8 and MM 6-9) or games that look like a blobber except you control only one character (thus no "blob"), like Anvil of Dawn.

*And of course most JRPGs are blobbers, but that's another anime infested can of worms.

I can agree about blobber being a sub-genre, just like how party-based can be considered a sub-genre. Or at the very least, a specification.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Wizardry-likes and Dungeon Master-likes, a.k.a. turn-based blobbers and real-time blobbers, are two of the major sub-genres of CRPGs, with the latter descending directly from the former. The term "blobber", though not strictly necessary, reinforces the connection between these two related sub-genres relative to the rest of CRPGs. :M

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'm curious, why the hate and debate over blobber, but not popamole? They seem to be in the same boat to me, being Codexian terms to describe sub-genres with longer proper names.

mondblut

Arcane
I'm curious, why the hate and debate over blobber, but not popamole? They seem to be in the same boat to me, being Codexian terms to describe sub-genres with longer proper names.

"Popamole" didn't yet get its own autist with an axe to grind. Also, it's not a subgenre, it's whatever a given codexian doesn't like. Like "decline".

octavius

Arcane
Patron
To me "popamole" is something that is not nec'ly bad, just too simple and "accessible", like for example Might&Magic 3-5 (and of course in 4 you are literally mopping poles popping moles).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
To me "popamole" is something that is not nec'ly bad, just too simple and "accessible", like for example Might&Magic 3-5 (and of course in 4 you are literally mopping poles popping moles).

It's only easy if you're a grognard and replayed them over the years.
Put a millennial with no internet in front of Isles of Terra and he'll shit his pants and whine it's too hard.

Also, it's not linear and made for exploring in the order you chose, if you chose the easy way, don't complain afterward, when you're the decline, you bring it with you.

I never found any M&M too easy simply because it's an open world and I never follow the same path which is not the easy path after the early beginning where you have to if you want to survive.
Also, in M&M III, you could kill two monsters, run away to hide and rest at the inn or take it like a man and open some portcullis or try to clear a whole area without resting and it's not exactly easy.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

"Popamole" didn't yet get its own autist with an axe to grind. Also, it's not a subgenre, it's whatever a given codexian doesn't like. Like "decline".

Reminder, you're one of the losers triggered over my observation. You're the one who is outraged and taking this personally, a super big sign of autism.

I simply point out that "blobber" isn't a genre and is a poorly thought out and redundant attempt at categorization. Your opinion isn't relevant, as in nobody gives a shit.

You've always been free to try to justify the "gridder" genre, but you couldn't. So you sperg like the white trash you are. Oh wait, your're slave. Like the nigger trash you are.

I can agree about blobber being a sub-genre, just like how party-based can be considered a sub-genre. Or at the very least, a specification.

So which is it? A genre or not a genre? Highlighting your simping for neckbeards btw. that you can't even stand by your earlier statement. Pathetic, sudaco.

It's only easy if you're a grognard and replayed them over the years.
Put a millennial with no internet in front of Isles of Terra and he'll shit his pants and whine it's too hard.

Imagine being proud of being old and out of touch with a neckbeard and no prospects with women.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So which is it? A genre or not a genre?

What is "party-based"? Would you say Baldur's Gate is in a different subgenre than Fallout because it is party-based?

that you can't even stand by your earlier statement. Pathetic, sudaco.

That the only person having a problem with my country of procedence is Portuguese should tell you all you need to know. Truly the niggers of Europe.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Imagine being proud of being old and out of touch with a neckbeard and no prospects with women.

You could almost be funny if you were not pathologically obsessed with me.
Just so you know, i'm tall, handsome and funny and it's probably why women like me, they always have and always will.

Meanwhile, you're probably fucking goats in a barn somewhere and think you're a great lover because your goats love you so much they lick your balls afterwards.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As you point out in this thread, there's no mechanical difference between a "party" and a single character equivalent in this "blobber". It's literally the same mechanical game.

I never wrote that there is no mechanical difference, i wrote that the games take some liberty with the party representation. However, as i wrote in the other thread, there are mechanical differences.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Genres are defined by what they're trying to accomplish, not their mechanics. There are many games that can perfectly replicate core mechanics like stats and levels, but if they're not trying to emulate a tabletop role-playing experience then they're not really RPGs.

JRPGs for example, people started to add a 'J' in front of 'RPG' not because they were being xenophobic, but because even normies understood that games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII provide fundamentally different experiences than games like Fallout, Morrowind or even Wizardry, despite being mechanically speaking Wizardry clones. There are Japanese exceptions, though.

YldrE

Learned
A detail that is all too often overlooked is that many genres were named in the 90s by PR staff for marketing purposes.

Retroactively exploring these games today we would probably classify them in completely different genres, and maybe even think up of new genres to describe industry tropes that were ubiquitous as to be invisible (e.g. "boomer shooter").

The whole legitimacy of the term "blobber" comes from the fact that it was created by a random guy awkwardly describing something that didn't have a catch-all name yet, but had existed for decades prior.

Wiz 7 is one of those "Your party is a big blob with multiple arms" style combats

Talorc isn't a marketing guy, he wasn't trying to coin a new term, and I wonder if he's been active enough on the Codex to even realize his random comment had spawned a new lingo. There was a subgenre that didn't have a name, and this description was both humorous and descriptive enough to catch on.

Same for "pop-a-mole" being a playful jab at cover shooters feeling like a whack-a-mole game, and now used as a go-to for casualized modern game design.

"It can't exist because the people who make them don't call them that" is an extraordinarily fucktarded take. It exists because we decide it does, that's the very point of giving a name to a pattern.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Waiting for the What is popamole? thread.
Papa mole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom